SWC CHI- ANA First time on this route what to expect?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nanavc

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Hi Folks, this Oct. I'm taking hubby on suprise trip tp Disneyland. We are leaving from Chi. in a roomette. Any tips ? How was your experiance on SWC ? And is there transportation options when we get to Anaheim? Any advice or tips greatly appreciated. Thanks

I used to travel on the SWC between Chicago and ABQ every year.

When you leave Chicago, you'll go through the suburbs and then straight into relatively flat land and fields. You'll stop in a few small towns and then cross the Mississippi during/after dinner, depending on when you make your reservation.

The stop immediately after crossing the Mississippi is Fort Madison, IA, your first fresh air stop. You'll have a few minutes to walk around outside the train. Just be sure to stay close so you can hear the conductor yell, "All aboard!" The train will not wait for people. :)

It will get dark as you cross Iowa and Missouri. One of my favorite things to watch for is the huge power plant east of Kansas City (right side of the train). You can see the lights for quite some time before crossing the river and passing it. Then, you'll start to notice more houses and buildings. I also watch for the cemetery on the right side of the train, about 10-15 minutes after passing the power plant. There's a house on the edge of it, and the yellow streetlamps give the entire scene kind of a creepy, isolated look.

The stop in Kansas City is pretty long, provided the train is on time. I recall having about 20 minutes to walk around. There's a cool neon sign advertising Western Auto perched on top of a skyscraper. You can see it while you're on the platform. Here's a link to it:

https://youtu.be/TuCuWtfySlk

Kansas City is bedtime for most people. The tracks through Kansas are rough, so I never get much sleep. There are a couple of things I watch for, as I'm usually awake for them.

There are large wind farms between Newton and Dodge City. I remember passing my favorite around 4:00 a.m. It goes on for miles and miles. All you see are the slowly-blinking red lights, which blink simultaneously. It reminded me of something from an episode of "The X-Files". I loved leaning against the window of my roomette while watching it. It was on the right side of the train while traveling west.

Shortly before dawn, you'll arrive in Dodge City. You can't see much from the train, but it is fun to see some of the street signs (Wyatt Earp Way). Also, on the right side, you'll see this while leaving town:

dodge-city-sign.jpg

It's cool if you're there around sunrise. It'll probably still be too dark in October, but I've been able to catch a glimpse of it in December. It really stands out, even at night.

Also, you'll see a lot of grain silos between Illinois and Colorado. Just tons of them. They become part of the scenery after a while.

When you wake up, you'll be in eastern Colorado. There is a long stop at La Junta. I've seen vendors on the platform on occasion, selling used books and little trinkets.

At this point, you'll start to see mountains in the distance. Eventually, you'll get to Trinidad. The scenery is spectacular from here onward. Try to get a seat in the lounge. It doesn't really matter what side of the train you're on at this point, but the lounge will let you see out both sides.

Past Trinidad, as you approach the Raton Pass, you'll see Dick Wooten's Ranch on the right side. There's a sign for it, along with a sign for the Santa Fe Trail. Then you enter the Raton Tunnel, which is on the border of CO and NM. If you look closely as you enter the tunnel, there are posts near the entrance that have the state written on them:

5afd731b3262200b1c27a0a5d2b583a4.jpg

BNSF_Raton-Sub-652+Raton-tunnel+NM-CO-border-wb.jpg

After the tunnel, you'll be in Raton, another fresh air stop. The town and station are quite charming. You definitely feel like you're in the southwest at this point.

The Las Vegas stop is an old Harvey House, where people used to stop and dine while traveling by train. Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders used to meet there as well.

At this point, you'll be entering the Glorieta Pass, another great spot for photographs. Head back to the lounge if you can.

Shortly before you arrive at the Lamy station, you'll see some residential train cars on the right side of the train. Just past Lamy, there's an old mission-style church. You'll start to see more pueblos at this point too.

If you look to the left as you get closer to Albuquerque, you'll see Sandia Peak. That's always my indication that ABQ is on the horizon. You'll pass through the more industrial parts of town, and then you'll get a nice view of downtown as you pull into the station. ABQ is a long stop, and there are vendors on the platform that sell Native American blankets, jewelry, etc.

I always detrained in ABQ, so I'm not sure about the scenery between ABQ and Anaheim. Someone else will talk about western NM, AZ, and CA, I'm sure. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you realize the Southwest Chief doesn't stop in Anaheim. The closest stop is Fullerton. You'll have to switch to an Amtrak Surfliner or Metrolink to actually get to Anaheim. From Anaheim, I believe there is bus service to Disneyland. Or take a cab or Uber from Fullerton.

I have taken the SWC to Fullerton many times. I catch the train in Kansas City. Fullerton is an absolutely charming station. The first nights ride from KC is pretty rough, so get prepared for that. Other than that, I LOVE this trip! Make sure you are especially paying attention when you go through the Red Rocks in Arizona. Hopefully, you will hit it just right when the sun is starting to set. Breathtaking! Most beautiful by far on this trip. Pretty long stop in ALBQ. Make sure you hop off and stretch your legs. I'm envious of your trip. Enjoy!!

Kansas City to LA was one of my favorite rides ever. We thought about dinner at the KC station but it was way too expendive, found a really nice rib joint across the street. If you can lay over in KC their art museum is second to none as is the WWI memorial.

I used to travel on the SWC between Chicago and ABQ every year.

When you leave Chicago, you'll go through the suburbs and then straight into relatively flat land and fields. You'll stop in a few small towns and then cross the Mississippi during/after dinner, depending on when you make your reservation.

The stop immediately after crossing the Mississippi is Fort Madison, IA, your first fresh air stop. You'll have a few minutes to walk around outside the train. Just be sure to stay close so you can hear the conductor yell, "All aboard!" The train will not wait for people. :)

It will get dark as you cross Iowa and Missouri. One of my favorite things to watch for is the huge power plant east of Kansas City (right side of the train). You can see the lights for quite some time before crossing the river and passing it. Then, you'll start to notice more houses and buildings. I also watch for the cemetery on the right side of the train, about 10-15 minutes after passing the power plant. There's a house on the edge of it, and the yellow streetlamps give the entire scene kind of a creepy, isolated look.

The stop in Kansas City is pretty long, provided the train is on time. I recall having about 20 minutes to walk around. There's a cool neon sign advertising Western Auto perched on top of a skyscraper. You can see it while you're on the platform. Here's a link to it:

https://youtu.be/TuCuWtfySlk

Kansas City is bedtime for most people. The tracks through Kansas are rough, so I never get much sleep. There are a couple of things I watch for, as I'm usually awake for them.

There are large wind farms between Newton and Dodge City. I remember passing my favorite around 4:00 a.m. It goes on for miles and miles. All you see are the slowly-blinking red lights, which blink simultaneously. It reminded me of something from an episode of "The X-Files". I loved leaning against the window of my roomette while watching it. It was on the right side of the train while traveling west.

Shortly before dawn, you'll arrive in Dodge City. You can't see much from the train, but it is fun to see some of the street signs (Wyatt Earp Way). Also, on the right side, you'll see this while leaving town:

attachicon.gif
dodge-city-sign.jpg

It's cool if you're there around sunrise. It'll probably still be too dark in October, but I've been able to catch a glimpse of it in December. It really stands out, even at night.

Also, you'll see a lot of grain silos between Illinois and Colorado. Just tons of them. They become part of the scenery after a while.

When you wake up, you'll be in eastern Colorado. There is a long stop at La Junta. I've seen vendors on the platform on occasion, selling used books and little trinkets.

At this point, you'll start to see mountains in the distance. Eventually, you'll get to Trinidad. The scenery is spectacular from here onward. Try to get a seat in the lounge. It doesn't really matter what side of the train you're on at this point, but the lounge will let you see out both sides.

Past Trinidad, as you approach the Raton Pass, you'll see Dick Wooten's Ranch on the right side. There's a sign for it, along with a sign for the Santa Fe Trail. Then you enter the Raton Tunnel, which is on the border of CO and NM. If you look closely as you enter the tunnel, there are posts near the entrance that have the state written on them:

attachicon.gif
5afd731b3262200b1c27a0a5d2b583a4.jpg

attachicon.gif
BNSF_Raton-Sub-652+Raton-tunnel+NM-CO-border-wb.jpg

After the tunnel, you'll be in Raton, another fresh air stop. The town and station are quite charming. You definitely feel like you're in the southwest at this point.

The Las Vegas stop is an old Harvey House, where people used to stop and dine while traveling by train. Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders used to meet there as well.

At this point, you'll be entering the Glorieta Pass, another great spot for photographs. Head back to the lounge if you can.

Shortly before you arrive at the Lamy station, you'll see some residential train cars on the right side of the train. Just past Lamy, there's an old mission-style church. You'll start to see more pueblos at this point too.

If you look to the left as you get closer to Albuquerque, you'll see Sandia Peak. That's always my indication that ABQ is on the horizon. You'll pass through the more industrial parts of town, and then you'll get a nice view of downtown as you pull into the station. ABQ is a long stop, and there are vendors on the platform that sell Native American blankets, jewelry, etc.

I always detrained in ABQ, so I'm not sure about the scenery between ABQ and Anaheim. Someone else will talk about western NM, AZ, and CA, I'm sure. :)
Nice write up. Much more detail than what I have read from Amtrak. Thanks.

I hope you realize the Southwest Chief doesn't stop in Anaheim. The closest stop is Fullerton. You'll have to switch to an Amtrak Surfliner or Metrolink to actually get to Anaheim. From Anaheim, I believe there is bus service to Disneyland. Or take a cab or Uber from Fullerton.
This is really an excellent point made by MikefromCrete. It begs to ask what you are doing when you de-train and where you are staying. Knowledge of the geography will assist you a great deal and it's easy to find locales of interest with your favorite on-line mapping app.

Think of Anaheim as a square (it isn't with a lot of jagged borders and a slice of Anaheim Hills stretching several miles to the east). Think of Fullerton as a rectangle that sits on top of Anaheim. The Anaheim station (ANA), served by Metrolink and the Pacific Surfliner, is in the very southeast corner of the city. It is 2-1/2 miles from Disneyland, with the park directly to the west (both on or just off of Katella). The Fullerton station (FUL), served directly by the SWC, is just a mile north of the Anaheim city limits (or less?), on Harbor Blvd., about 6-1/2 miles north of Disneyland, also on Harbor Blvd. Wasn't it convenient for them to put both train stations on Disneyland streets?

You'll be de-training in FUL (presumably) looking for breakfast and your hotel (again presumably, you can stash your bags there until check-in time later that day). Know the geography. It's easy. Most of northern/western Orange County is flat in the Los Angeles Basin so most major streets are laid out in a simple grid. Find the train stations, your hotel, and Disneyland. Ought to be easy to make some decisions. Otherwise a number of us are here for additional detailed tips.

take care & have fun!

Bill

Much more detail than what I have read from Amtrak.
Is this what you were referring to? https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/933/628/Amtrak-Southwest-Chief-Train-Route-Guide.pdf There should be a copy of this in your sleeper room. In addition to this and SarahZ's fine post, Google Earth will let you see every bit of your journey from above and topographic maps will give you the names of places along the route you may not otherwise be aware of. F'rinstance, you'll occasionally see a small clump of buildings in Arizona or New Mexico that aren't on any route guide or map - but these places usually have a name given on the topographic map and a Google search usually gives a few details - such as the remnants of a ghost town like Adamana AZ about 80 miles West of Gallup NM. Such trivia can be found here http://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm? and Wikipedia has details of most of those named places. In addition, there's also this website that has the train routes highlighted and the names of most of those little places along the way: http://asm.transitdocs.com/ While it's very easy to follow the train route, it has very little geographic detail (except for the place names).

Dont forget to use the Met Lounge in Chicago so they will pre-board you. There will be four LD trains departing with 75 minutes, so the lounge will be busy. If you have heavy luggage, you can leave that bag(s) on the baggage shelves across the stairs on the lower level. I take my car's GPS that has a suction cup, all I added was an adapter, cigarette lighter to AC, to plug into my surge protector. My granddaughters and I enjoy seeing where we are and how fast we are going. I always carry bag of things "Just In Case". Small powerful flashlight, bottle of water (Amtrak provides bottle water, so in the unlikely situation they run out), a couple snacks, a multi-purpose pocket knife, small amount of tape, band-aids (granddaughters falling blowing off steam having been in the room too long), and anything else you might thing off. Keep this bag in your backpack in your room easy to access, especially for the flashlight (needed the flashlight one night when the HEP had been turned off and the back-up lighting for the room wasn't working). Have a great trip!! I have enjoyed this route since I first went on in 1963 on the Grand Canyon.

My last trip to Anaheim was in March 2015 on a solo trip that I referred to as "Railfan Madness"...Houston-New Orleans (day trip); two nights in a B&B in New Orleans; overnight New Orleans-Chicago; quick turnaround Chicago-Fullerton on the Southwest Chief, then Fullerton-Anaheim on the Surfliner; two nights in Anaheim at the Howard Johnson just across the street from Disneyland; then return Fullerton-Los Angeles-Houston...all in roomettes, excepting of course the Surfliners. (I originally intended to ride the SWC bumper-to-bumper as it was my first-ever trip on it, but I wimped out at the last second for more park time with the Mouse.) So I've taken the exact same trip you're taking.

As the others have pointed out, you will need to transfer in Fullerton to the Surfliner to Anaheim, which is the very next stop. Anaheim is close enough to Fullerton (about two miles) that if you're taking a taxi it's probably not worth the time and trouble for the change of trains; just take your taxi direct from Fullerton. However, if you're renting a car or taking public transportation (Anaheim Resort Transit serves the Anaheim (ARTIC) station and most Disneyland hotels), you may have better options if you change trains and continue to Anaheim.

Meals are included with your roomette ticket, but you may have some narrow windows. The SWC does (did) serve a quick breakfast in the very early morning upon arrival in California, but only for a very brief time and the menu choices were limited. If you want to grab this breakfast, make sure that your sleeping car attendant knows and wakes you on time...which may be about 4:30 in the morning! Of course, if you're riding from Chicago you will have been through two time zone changes the previous day, so it should feel more like 6:30 to you, which certainly makes it sound more reasonable.... Other meals should not have any issues; just make sure that you get your reservations. When taking reservations, the dining car LSA (newspeak for "steward") goes through the sleeping cars first, coaches second, and the lounge car last. If both of you are enjoying the view in the lounge car you may get stuck with whatever time (and food!) is left over after everyone else makes their choices. So, when the announcement is made that dinner reservations are being taken, be sure to have at least one of you in the sleeper to ensure you get your preferred dining time slot. However, if you do miss getting your reservation, go to the dining car ASAP. Sometimes they have unfilled slots, and sometimes they can call you if another party no-shows. And there is almost always a "last call" you can catch before they close the diner up at night. [Note: Sometimes lunch is by reservation also; sometimes it's first come first served. Breakfast is always first come first served, with a waiting list being taken in case of overflow. Eat breakfast early in order to avoid the waiting list, which can be interminable when you're hungry.]

Say hi to Minnie & Mickey for me!

Don't expect to see much new from the windows of the SWC when you pass through KC; since everything's up to date in Kansas City -- they've gone about as far as they can go.

Looks like a CHI-ANA booking automatically goes through LA Union Station.

As for transportation, I'm kind of a Disneyland nut myself, and there are a few ways to go from the Anaheim train station to the "resort district" other than taxi or a ride app. OC Transit runs buses, which may be free with a valid Surfliner ticket, although baggage on a transit bus can be iffy. The other one is Anaheim Resort Transportation. They run several routes that go to most of the hotels in Anaheim as well as Disneyland. They have a bunch of pass options (as well as one-way fares bought on the bus) that can be bought online, at a hotel (probably too late), or at the train station. The also run the free Toy Story parking lot shuttle for Disneyland.

http://rideart.org/how-to-ride/

A lot of people don't like ART. There are customer service issues as well as interminable delays, but they have buses similar to rental car shuttles that can handle baggage.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/anaheim-resort-transportation-anaheim

Looks like a CHI-ANA booking automatically goes through LA Union Station.
That's what I found when I booked my trip. Presumably it's because they figure that a close connection might be missed. However, our SWC got into Fullerton in plenty of time to transfer to the earlier Surfliner to Anaheim, and my sleeping car attendant urged me to make the switch, which I did. The conductor on the Surfliner, OTOH, wasn't so pleased; he had to do extra paperwork for the ticket. He told me that I should have called Amtrak and had my itinerary updated in the computer system while I was waiting in Fullerton.

As for transportation, I'm kind of a Disneyland nut myself, and there are a few ways to go from the Anaheim train station to the "resort district" other than taxi or a ride app. OC Transit runs buses, which may be free with a valid Surfliner ticket, although baggage on a transit bus can be iffy. The other one is Anaheim Resort Transportation. They run several routes that go to most of the hotels in Anaheim as well as Disneyland. They have a bunch of pass options (as well as one-way fares bought on the bus) that can be bought online, at a hotel (probably too late), or at the train station. The also run the free Toy Story parking lot shuttle for Disneyland.

http://rideart.org/how-to-ride/

A lot of people don't like ART. There are customer service issues as well as interminable delays, but they have buses similar to rental car shuttles that can handle baggage.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/anaheim-resort-transportation-anaheim

I took ART between the Anaheim station and my hotel, both ways. Service wasn't bad although, as you note, timeliness isn't one of their strong points. Fortunately, my hotel (Howard Johnson's) was within easy walking distance of Disneyland's main gate, so I didn't have to count on them for my very limited resort time.

Just to clarify on the transportation options, OC Transit Route 50 would be the one that would go to Katella and Harbor, which is right at the corner near Disneyland. The Anaheim station is often called "ARTIC" for "Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center". Whether or not OC Transit makes sense would depend on where you're staying.

http://www.octa.net/ebusbook/RoutePDFNew/route050.pdf

ART may be better if you need (more or less) door to door service. You might get lucky and your hotel is on the 14 or 15 line, but most would transfer to a different bus at Disneyland. All of their routes go to Disneyland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back