SWC Breakfast into LAX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sechs

Engineer
How is breakfast worked on #3 coming into Los Angeles? A quick check of the history shows that it often comes in "early" 30 to 45 minutes -- and once more than an hour.

The dining car opens up really really early. They will usually open around San Bernadino. The SW Chief arrives 30 minutes early because of the padding between FUL and LAX.

Rick

The dining car opens up really really early. They will usually open around San Bernadino.
I guess it'll be another early start, like the Empire Builder into Seattle.

The SW Chief arrives 30 minutes early because of the padding between FUL and LAX.
Thus the use of quotes for "early."

Thanks for the info

Be up at 5 a.m. if you want breakfast in CA on train 3...and they'll close between SNB and RIV!!

What time was it?

So, if the train is "on time," I should expect the dinner to close at Riverside, round about 6AM?

What time was it?
So, if the train is "on time," I should expect the dinner to close at Riverside, round about 6AM?
If you're going westbound, the dinner would be in AZ/NM border area. If you're referring to breakfast, you'll have to ask the sleeper or coach attendant about it. It depends on time status.

OBS and I were just on #3 a couple of weeks ago when I went back home to the Grand Canyon detraining in FLG. The LSA announced that they would open the car at 5:30 am and close promptly at 6:00.

I would assume every crew has its own little way of doing business, times for operation versus between certain station stops, but be prepared for a very, very early breakfast with a limited choice. I asked how crews do early meals into endpoints for cleaning, etc. and the LSA told me that they need about 30 minutes versus the hour that I used to do on the City of New Orleans during my Amtrak days. Secondly, depending on the chef, they won't open up a new breakfast scrambler or make omlettes for that breakfast, but it is solely dependent on the chef's discretion and mood.

Let us know what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back