SW Chief, high altitude sickness

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never have had problems on Trains in the US but in Peru up in the Andes and in Quito, Equador ( highest airport in the Western Hemisphere and maybe the World?) It was a different story!
I think the airport in La Paz, Bolivia may be at a higher altitude. I was there in 1979 and I had some problems with the altitude.

Ok so my lesson is...don't get off the train and start running around ? lol ! got it.

I got it on The Manitou Springs & Pikes Peak.
what happened? headache? light headed? and have you ever had it prior? on an airplane or anything?

Manitou isnt very high is it?

edit : Ah just checked..but pikes peak is haha

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone know if it's true that cabin air on a plane is around 7/8000 ft. because I flew for six hours with no issue. thanks for all the tips guys
I believe that most pressurized airliner's have a maximum 'cabin altitude' of 8,000 feet, even when flying way above that level. The new Boeing 787 'Dreamliner's', have improved that to 6,000 feet, as well as improved humidity level, IIRC.

I rode the M&PP too, up to the Pikes Peak summit station of over 14,000 feet altitude. Did not notice any effects while riding, at all. But, when I got off the train, and carelessly ran up a flight of steps to an observation deck, I suddenly found myself gasping for air....

Learned a lesson from that..... :p

I rode the M&PP too, up to the Pikes Peak summit station of over 14,000 feet altitude. Did not notice any effects while riding, at all. But, when I got off the train, and carelessly ran up a flight of steps to an observation deck, I suddenly found myself gasping for air....

Learned a lesson from that..... :p
One reason why the Trams layover at the top is relatively short so People don't extort themselves too much and leave before the full effects of altitude sickness stick in.

I went to college in Colorado Springs (elevation just over 6,000 feet) and climbed Pikes Peak twice, the first time was about two months into the semester. I had gone on a few previous high altitude trips (and camped for a couple days at 12,000+ feet) on that trip I was totally fine. The next time I had been back just under two weeks, hadn't fully acclimated, (hadn't done any hiking yet in the semester) and the last couple thousand feet were awful. I was really feeling the altitude. My biggest trick to mitigating altitude sickness (I felt it coming back after every long break of at least a week home) is drinking plenty of water and lying low on the liquor (you will get ).

I'll finish by saying that my grandmother has a lug condition from a lifetime of smoking. She was in Santa Fe and ended up in the hospital. She's now been medically told not to venture anywhere too high in elevation. It kept her from attending my graduation. She does still fly.

Ok so my lesson is...don't get off the train and start running around ? lol ! got it.
You got that right, Kemo Sabe! It's a moot point because my wife has no intention of letting me off the train. If I'd only noticed we had a half-hour stop in ABQ there would have been plenty of time to grab plenty of shots of the Pullman there, but I wouldn't have this story. Oh-at the hospital, a clerk found us a B&B with an owner who provided transport , bless her, No cabs or car rentals in Raton. She even went down to a local cafe to get us some dinner. While she was waiting she said this was for "some of her guests who didn't feel like dining out". Someone there asked "Oh- are these the people from the train?" Yup- Raton is a very small town. But we LOVE it! :wub:

Dennis

John Denver's song "Rocky Mountain High" used to refer being in the Mountains of Colorado but since the passage of the Legalized Pot Law it has a whole new meaning! (Do NOT take it aboard Amtrak! LOL)

The only time I've had altitude sickness was at the top of Haleakala in Maui, but that was a very rapid ascent to 10,000 feet. Your ascent will be slower. If you're really worried about it, ask your doctor about Diamox.

I felt very sick. I had heart palpitations. Distinct acute nausea. I felt completely out of air. Dizzy. I went into the shop and had a burger, fries, and a soda (at absurd prices). It seemed to help.

I weigh nearly 400 lbs, and have serious lung scarring from a succession of several really bad Resperatory Infections. I'm sure that those factors contributed to it.

I weigh nearly 400 lbs, and have serious lung scarring from a succession of several really bad Resperatory Infections. I'm sure that those factors contributed to it.
At 400 lbs it's not surprising. Probably not much better at sea level...

pretty sure there is no reason to be rude. anyway

I'm over weight but quit smoking five months ago lost a few lbs..trying! Lol. but the more I read its not just about physical health, just different from person to person. thanks for all the help guys

okay so I'm taking my first amtrak train from ma to ca! going big! I've never been at elevation higher than 4000ft (or maybe 7 to 8k in airplane cabin?) I know thr sw cheif goes through many different elevations topping it at 7850 or something close to 8. how common is it to become ill while taking this train? I'm terrified of getting altitude sickness. does the fact that you are traveling through make you more prone to alt sickness ?help!
Maybe just piling on... but for most people, they notice little of the effects of altitude if they're doing little... it's when you place demands on your body which requires oxygen and it isn't there that the lack is noticed. ... personally did the CZ two weeks ago, and although I think I was intellectually aware of the altitude, never noticed it, ie, most of the time I was sitting in my coach seat and enjoying the view out the window... likewise, many many people drive I-70 between DEN and four-corners area, and barely notice that the tunnel under the Rockies summit is between 11 and 12 thousand feet. ... as stated by others: unless you're at your oxygen limits in day to day life in MA, you're not going to notice the brief ups and downs over the Rockies and Sierra (other than the wonderful views out the windows). Enjoy your trip.

I never have had problems on Trains in the US but in Peru up in the Andes and in LaPaz, Bolivia ( highest airport in the Western Hemisphere and maybe the World?) It was a different story!
La Paz is highest in the Western hemisphere, yes, but World no. It is the 5th highest in the world. There are four airports higher than it, all in Tibet. See:
http://www.airport-technology.com/features/feature-the-top-10-highest-altitude-airports-in-the-world/

Of these I have flown out of Lhasa Gongar to Kathmandu in a 757. The plane flies almost directly over Mt. Everest, and we had a spectacular view! I have driven by the Shegatse (or as officially spelled - Xegaze) Air Base, but never used that airport.

But I have driven up to 18,000' or thereabouts in Ladakh.

Himalaya High jis! LOL
Strictly speaking Tibet is not Himalaya. It is north of Himalaya. When traveling to north of Himalaya on the Kathmandu - Lhasa Road, the Himalaya is crossed in a very deep gorge of the Bhote Kosi River, rising to the Tibetan Plateau which starts at Nylam at the end of the gorge. When doing so from Manali to Leh in India, it is crossed at Baralach La Pass. In the latter trip from the plains to Leh you cross 4 major ranges - Shivalik, Pir Panjal (Rohtang La), Himalaya (Baralach La), Zanskar (Taglang La and Lachlung La) to get to Indus Valley which is several hundred miles north of Himalaya. If you travel north of Lhasa to Kasghar the final three major ranges crossed are Ladakh (Khardung La), Karakoram (Karakoram Pass) and Kuen Lun, which then finally gets you off the mountains into Takla Makan Desert. The size of the overall things is absolutely stupendous, and Himalaya is just one part of it, and the highest of all the ranges.

I have driven up to 18,000' or thereabouts in Ladakh.
Wow! Now that, is high! What kind of vehicle were you driving? I imagine a supercharger would come in handy at that altitude.....

My only issue at Raton was that I wanted to put some lotion on my hands while we were in the area. Those travel size squeeze plastic bottles can get messy.

Last time I squeezed as much air out as I could while we at a lower level. Then it was OK at the Pass.

Enjoy your trip. I've done the SWC from MA to either AZ or CA three times, and love it.

I have driven up to 18,000' or thereabouts in Ladakh.
Wow! Now that, is high! What kind of vehicle were you driving? I imagine a supercharger would come in handy at that altitude.....
It was a Toyota Qualis 4WD. Looks something like this:

Toyota-qualis-car-deluxe-category.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back