Surfliner strikes truck, injuries but no deaths

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While any grade crossing death is tragic, I say there is no excuse for death or injury except for equipment failure, and that is extremely rare. Simple respect for a crossbuck or electric signal will save your life and health every single time. Those who are not paying attention at least earn sympathy but deliberate negotiating through crossing arms or warning lights is nothing but pure gambling with your life and the lives of many others for the sake of a few minutes of time.

According to KTLA and the LA Times the train was in Push mode, which means the Cab Car was leading. Good to hear these cars hold up well. Now maybe we've got something to silence the Metrolink nay sayers.

I can never figure out why people don't watch for trains on the tracks. We have a train track behind our house (no passenger train though) and we encounter trains quite a bit. I don't try to guess if I could make it over the tracks in time. I wait for them. They are a lot bigger than my car.

One of the things I noticed in upstate New York is that trains really can be the silent killer. While we were along the Hudson with no crossings nearby, it'd be very easy to not see the train coming if you're talking or have your iPod on. My point, extra vigilance if you're walking near the tracks, you never know when a train's going to come cruising by.

Back