Surfliner Holds Passengers Hostage for Eight Hours

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spokker

Lead Service Attendant
Update: The original article may be wrong and this happened on a single-tracked section of the LOSSAN corridor. See this post.

---

A trip between San Diego and Los Angeles went FUBAR last week. Passengers were stuck on the train for eight hours while several trains headed in the same direction passed them.

http://laist.com/2009/10/26/amtrak_leaves_..._stranded_o.php

After 30 minutes stopped on the tracks, passengers were notified of the train's "problems" and most remained calm despite being provided little or no further information. At 2p.m, 45 minutes after the train was scheduled to arrive in LA, passengers were told they were still stuck but that a new train was coming.
That train blew right by Train 571 on the northbound tracks just as four others would (and another two heading south) over the course of the afternoon and evening.
As a Surfliner 10-trip passholder, I must say that this is despicable service. This incident needs to be reviewed so that proper steps can be taken to prevent it in the future. In any case, Amtrak just lost a train full of riders. Getting them back will be an insurmountable task.

Last edited by a moderator:
and amtrak could not send a rescue train when 4 OTHER TRAINS WENT BY IN THE SAME DIRECTION. let me guess amtraks management will claim they were un-aware that the train was stranded. BS.

Talk about a bunch of crap...
Stephen

on a situation like that, that turned out SOOOOOOOOOOO bad, Amtrak should offer (won't be accepted by some) a ridiculous number of free trips on the same route.

When I had a dinner train in MD, we occasionally had "trains from hell". Either the AC went out, or the contracting RR (Maryland Midland) had mechanical failures or crew problems of some kind, either way, when Monday came, I had to deal with all the weekend "problems".

I listened, explained briefly, apologized profusely, and then offered another trip, on us of course. And if after THAT trip, they still didn't have a good time, I'd refund them.

Less then 5% refunds for those who initially complained.

Although, on ONE trip, we coincidentally had a HIGH NUMBER of riders who took advantage of my free trip offer to make up for their "trip from hell", and they had ANOTHER trip from hell. I included a gift certificate WITH their refund. And ya know what, some of these customers actually tried us for a THIRD time.

One customer actually ended up renting our private car for two trips later on........... Now I digress..............

Something seems wrong with this picture.

A few weeks ago I was on the rescue train in a failed tain experience a few miles north of Merced on the San Joquin line. We were the Oakland to Bakersfield train, attaching ourselves to the front end of a Sacramento to Bakersfield train. Total delay for the Sacramento Bakersfield passengers: A little over three hours. For the Oakland to Bakersfield train, somewhere about 1.5 hours.

So, the Amtrak California trains now how to do it. What was going on here?

I don't get it either. It's one thing for mechanical problems to occur. It happens. But for several trains to roll by while the first train continues to be stuck? Come on, that's insane.

About a year ago I was waiting at a mid-point station for the Surfliner that was to take me to L.A. The train's arrival was becoming progressively later and later until it finally arrived about 45 minutes late, coupled to an earlier train that had died. The two train consist continued --slowly-- to L.A., finally arriving about 90 minutes late for a 60 minute ride. So I'll verify that Amtrak does know how to do that trick on that line.

About a year ago I was waiting at a mid-point station for the Surfliner that was to take me to L.A. The train's arrival was becoming progressively later and later until it finally arrived about 45 minutes late, coupled to an earlier train that had died. The two train consist continued --slowly-- to L.A., finally arriving about 90 minutes late for a 60 minute ride. So I'll verify that Amtrak does know how to do that trick on that line.
Look something like this?

DSC09708.JPG

Look something like this?

DSC09708.JPG
Wow, great shot!

I think those Northwest Airlines pilots were running the dispatch that day...

Here is some information from another web site:

Surfliner 571 had something dragging, they stopped at Doheny after spotting smoke coming from one of the rear cars... Track inspector reported evidence of dragging equipment for upwards of five miles. The train was on single track and couldn't be moved until it was inspected by Metrolink. Surfliner 577, Metrolink 657, Surfliner 583, and Surfliner 785 plus Metrolink 858 and 860 were trapped south with Surfliners 578, 580 and 582 stuck on the north side. They combined 571 and 577 once they got permission to move, Surfliners 583 and 784 made the Metrolink Stops and 784 was delayed waiting to head south.
This from a trustworthy source. Since it was stated to be on a single track section, other trains passing in the same direction is simply not possible. How much else in the article is overdramatized whining?

Then the "Tweets" were wrong, or this happened on another day.

I will add the information to the comments section at the original link and see what they say. Still, I think that refunds would be a reasonable accommodation.

Here is some information from another web site:
Surfliner 571 had something dragging, they stopped at Doheny after spotting smoke coming from one of the rear cars... Track inspector reported evidence of dragging equipment for upwards of five miles. The train was on single track and couldn't be moved until it was inspected by Metrolink. Surfliner 577, Metrolink 657, Surfliner 583, and Surfliner 785 plus Metrolink 858 and 860 were trapped south with Surfliners 578, 580 and 582 stuck on the north side. They combined 571 and 577 once they got permission to move, Surfliners 583 and 784 made the Metrolink Stops and 784 was delayed waiting to head south.
This from a trustworthy source. Since it was stated to be on a single track section, other trains passing in the same direction is simply not possible. How much else in the article is overdramatized whining?
I think it would be possible to check this on the train status history page. Just plug in the numbers of the following trains. If they are on time, then this did happen the way it was stated in the original article. If those following trains show delays, or service disruption, they were stuck behind stalled train.

Concerning that picture, if I were sitting in the train watching people play in the sand, it would make me sad especially when I wasn't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back