Superliner vs. Viewliner Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mflsjhs

Service Attendant
This summer i am doing a cross country trip on the Crescent-Sunset Limited in full bedrooms and a leg on the coast starlight in a superliner roomette

i was in a viewliner bedroom on the silver star and silver meteor years ago but i was only like 8 and dont remember much,

Any notable differences about the Superliner bedroom from the Viewliner bedroom?

Also had a couple questions about the cars them selves,

What kinda shape are the two in?

How does the superliner sleeping car ride?

how is the air conditioning on both type cars?

.What sleeping car do u like better?

Thanks for the input.

This summer i am doing a cross country trip on the Crescent-Sunset Limited in full bedrooms and a leg on the coast starlight in a superliner roomette

i was in a viewliner bedroom on the silver star and silver meteor years ago but i was only like 8 and dont remember much,

Any notable differences about the Superliner bedroom from the Viewliner bedroom?

Thanks for the input.
:hi: Nice trip! :wub: We've covered this thread many times here, please Goggle up the Old Posts but FYI/IMO: Viewliner Bedrooms and Superliner Bedrooms are both very Roomy and Nice! The Condition of the Car you get depends on the Consist of the Train, some are Rehabbed and like New, others are Worn out from Heavy use! What Bedrooms do you have on the Viewliner and the Superliner Sleepers? The Viewliner Roomettes are far Superior to the Superliners in most peoples opinin and most prefer the Upstairs roomettes?(#2-#10) There are 2 kinds of Superliners, Is and IIs, with the Newer ones beiong the IIs but lots of Is have been rehabbed and are like New, some of the IIs are Doggy and Tired! :( Plenty of members may offer different opinions but thats what this forum is for, actually going anywhere on a LD Train is Fantastic! :) :) :) BTW_ The Sightseer Lounges on the Superliner Trains are FAR Superior to the Poor Excuses on the Single Level Trains in the East and South!

Last edited by a moderator:
on the viewliner we have the deluxe bedroom from PHL to NOL and the same for the sunset from NOL-LAX we have a roomette on the Coast Starlight to SAC and back to LAX then comming back on the Sunset and crescent in deluxe bedrooms- i know there not deluxe anymore but you know what im tlaking about . i know were in Bedroom E on the sunset out and back, the viewliner i forget which one but theres only 2 so its one of them lol

Not having traveled on Viewliner fleet I can tell you fron what I have heard from friend traveling on those

Superline:

Roomette

No toilet no shower no sink shower and bath facilities down the hall

Bedroom Toilet and sink and shower in suite

Viewliner:

Roomette toilet and sink in suite shower down hall

Bedroom toilet sink and shower in suite.

Thanks for the input.
I think the main difference between the bedrooms on the superliner vs. the viewliner is that the viewliners have higher ceilings, giving you the second window. Additionally, there is room for storage above the bathroom within the suite. Also, the ladder for the bed is stored in this little cubby between the wall and the bathroom, which actually leads to about six inches less of floorspace between the bathroom door and the window/wall of the train.

But the bedrooms are pretty similar in the viewliner and the superliner, more so than the roomettes.

I actually thought my viewliner bedroom on the LSL was in better shape than my superliner bedroom on the SWC. But, when I took the CS I got a renovated superliner I car, and that had a nicer shower because the walls were curved. Unfortunately, my bedroom on the CS was hot as hades and heat kept pouring out of the vents. At some points it was just too hot to sit in.

The layout of the Viewliner and Superliner bedrooms appear to be the same. We've traveled in the Superliner bedrooms many times but our June NOL trip will be our first time in the Viewliner bedroom. The obvious differences are the higher ceiling of the Viewliner bedroom, the upper and lower windows & the additional luggage space. As for the roomettes they are described very well above.

Its hard booking a Viewliner bedroom as there are only two bedrooms and one H room per sleeper car and that equates to an average of four bedrooms on most LD trains. If you were fortunate enough to secure a Viewliner bedroom, you will enjoy the extra space. I do not view any sleeper bedroom as spacious but there is enough room to be comfortable. Its like sleeping in a small car trailer.

I've ridden in both kinds of sleeper -- and prefer the Superliner roomettes. It's unpleasant to share a Viewliner roomette with a fellow passenger and that toilet right in the room.

There's far less foot traffic on the Superliner's lower level, and since you're closer to the track, there's much less sway, making for a sounder night's sleep. The view from the upper level *is* superior, though.

...It's unpleasant to share a Viewliner roomette with a fellow passenger...
:blink: Huh? I would say that depends on who the passenger is. You don't share the room with some random person; you normally book it with someone you actually enjoy spending time with...

I don't know how I would like the viewliner roomette, my previous sleepr trips were both in viewliner bedrooms. I was wandering what the superliners would be like. It sounds like the bedrooms are very similar. And I'm glad the roomette doesn't havve a toilet in it

I don't know how I would like the viewliner roomette, my previous sleepr trips were both in viewliner bedrooms. I was wandering what the superliners would be like. It sounds like the bedrooms are very similar. And I'm glad the roomette doesn't havve a toilet in it

I've done both many times and prefer the Viewliner roomette a lot more. The double windows so you can sleep up top and get a view plus leave the lower area set up for reading etc.. More luggage space. A private sink even if you don't like the toilet, which is VERY convenient in the middle of the night by the way. It's great if you're traveling solo.

Numerous trips on Viewliner, Superliner and Heritage (old school).....and the Viewliners are my favorite. Superliner Roomette is on the 2nd deck and a bit nicer view, but I enjoyed the Viewliner better.

Also, I always try and get a room, middle of the car-----closest to the front-end-power (horn and engine noise do not bother me). For my upcoming trip, 7 different trains, and up front on all but two of them.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back