Superliner Upper/Lower Seating

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJRACER

Service Attendant
If you travel coach on a "super-liner" like the capitol limited or empire builder......do you prefer the upper seating or the lower seating???? We are booked and ticketed for lower level seating, mainly because of closeness to rest-rooms and easy in and easy out. We feel we can always go up (and will) for the observation car and food car. What would your preference be. In case that guest member is still around, let me make this disclaimer: I may have posted something similar to this earlier. (Got that covered)

I've only done lower level coach seating from SPK -PDX. I actually requested that because a group of about 30 teen agers boarded & I wanted some quiet sleep time!!!! I enjoyed it. It seemed like you had your own private car!

In case that guest member is still around, let me make this disclaimer: I may have posted something similar to this earlier. (Got that covered)
The 'guest' poster, when they read this, will be suffering from deja-vu all over again! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I prefer upper level in coach, and to cross threads... in the sleeper too! I just prefer being up higher. That said I can understand liking lower level coach as you don't get 'through traffic' walking past all the time.

I like to see the Downstairs Coach Seats (and Roomettes) left for those with Mobility Problems and Older Pax!(Older than me! :lol: )

Personally I like to Sightsee and IMO the Upstairs has better Sightlines and also is Closer to the Diner/Cafe-Lounge Car and alllows you to walk the Train to get Exercise which is a Unique Feature on Amtrak compared to planes and busses! Id say there's a reason why the TransDorms have Crew Rooms Upstairs, IM o the Ride is a little Smoother and Quiter (Mechanically anyway) plus Ive seen lots of Coaches that were hooked up with the Downstairs Seats facing "Backwards" where you have to ride facing away from the Engine! YMMV, to each his own!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to see the Downstairs Coach Seats (and Roomettes) left for those with Mobility Problems and Older Pax!(Older than me! :lol: )

Personally I like to Sightsee and IMO the Upstairs has better Sightlines and also is Closer to the Diner/Cafe-Lounge Car and alllows you to walk the Train to get Exercise which is a Unique Feature on Amtrak compared to planes and busses! Id say there's a reason why the TransDorms have Crew Rooms Upstairs, IM o the Ride is a little Smoother and Quiter (Mechanically anyway) plus Ive seen lots of Coaches that were hooked up with the Downstairs Seats facing "Backwards" where you have to ride facing away from the Engine! YMMV, to each his own!
Absolutely! I'm impaired mobility wise & some say other ways too. That particular trip there were only about 6 pax down there & was a nice trip even for sleeping vertically!!! :eek:hboy:

When I travel with wifey (who is mobility impaired) we sit in the lower level seats. When I am alone I go right to the upper level.

I much prefer the upper level. I get a better view, and I can traverse the train without having to climb stairs. Of course I'm a youngin (22) so I can easily go up and down those stairs to get to the restroom, or when lugging my big giant luggage bag up those stairs to get to the seat and put it in the overhead area.

I much prefer the upper level, because the view to me is better than from the lower level. And, as Jim said, as long as I'm still mobile, I think it is better for me if I leave the lower level seating for those folks who need it more than I do.

I guess I am one of the few people who prefer a single level car as opposed to a Superliner. But in a Superliner car I would have to prefer the upper level coach seating, it just feels more like a train to me, because of the longness of the car, and the fact that you don't have to climb stairs to get into another train car.

Last edited by a moderator:
& was a nice trip even for sleeping vertically!!! :eek:hboy:
You mean on the lower level, you are forced to sleep standing up?
ohmy.gif
They don't let you sit in the seats at night?
huh.gif

That's why I sit on the upper level or get a sleeper. At least I don't have to spend all night standing!
mosking.gif

On my long cross country (SAN-SEA-CHI-PHI) I took the lower section. There was an unused wheelchair space behind my seat and I just laid down there at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back