Superliner Repairs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmtrakFan

Conductor
Repaired from 2003 on

Sleepers

Lounge

Coaches

Diners

Trans Dorms

Wrecked

Sleepers

32048=Photographed the night it caught on fire

Lounges

Coaches

Diners

Trans Dorms

It looks to me like the bottom 1/3 of the list were scrapped, or is that not what "wrecked" means?

musher said:
It looks to me like the bottom 1/3 of the list were scrapped, or is that not what "wrecked" means?
Wrecked means they were seriously damaged in a derailment or other incident. It doesn't mean they were scrapped.

Does that mean these are the cars with the much improved interior? I'm talking about a "super" refurbishment, not just the typical ones that have been happening. I read and heard about cars that had much nicer fixtures and better wood paneling. Thats what I was talking about.

Steve4031 said:
Does that mean these are the cars with the much improved interior? I'm talking about a "super" refurbishment, not just the typical ones that have been happening. I read and heard about cars that had much nicer fixtures and better wood paneling. Thats what I was talking about.
Steve, some of these cars may indeed have those new interiors or "Super" refurb that you are talking about. However, to my knowledge most of them did not get that. Especially if they were Superliner II's, as so far only the older Superliner I's are getting the heavy duty overhaul.

So if I am reading this right 17 were taken out of service since they were wrecked and 24 were returned to service. This calculates to a net gain of 7 Superliners since 2003.

While not great, is is about the equivalent of one train set and it does reverse the trend of a shrinking equipment supply. Hopefully Amtrak will be able to increase the speed and efficiency in which the refurbished/repaired Superliners are released back into revenue service.

AlanB said:
Steve4031 said:
Does that mean these are the cars with the much improved interior? I'm talking about a "super" refurbishment, not just the typical ones that have been happening.  I read and heard about cars that had much nicer fixtures and better wood paneling.  Thats what I was talking about.
Steve, some of these cars may indeed have those new interiors or "Super" refurb that you are talking about. However, to my knowledge most of them did not get that. Especially if they were Superliner II's, as so far only the older Superliner I's are getting the heavy duty overhaul.
Thanks, that was too good to be true to have all of those in the new decor. :D

But it is good to get those back on the road. This will help down the line.

I have to admit that I liked what I saw when I rode the Capitol in March. The sleeper I was in was one of the recent rebuilds. Very nice. B)

WICT106 said:
I have to admit that I liked what I saw when I rode the Capitol in March. The sleeper I was in was one of the recent rebuilds. Very nice. B)
According to Amtrak's new reform package, all those new cars will be gathered together and be used exclusively on the Empire Builder. They want to see what impact having newer looking cars will have on ridership and therefore the train's profit/loss numbers.

I'm betting that it will increase ridership. The only problem is that Amtrak doesn't have enough of those cars to put on every ld train.

AlanB said:
WICT106 said:
I have to admit that I liked what I saw when I rode the Capitol in March.  The sleeper I was in was one of the recent rebuilds.  Very nice.   B)
According to Amtrak's new reform package, all those new cars will be gathered together and be used exclusively on the Empire Builder. They want to see what impact having newer looking cars will have on ridership and therefore the train's profit/loss numbers.

I'm betting that it will increase ridership. The only problem is that Amtrak doesn't have enough of those cars to put on every ld train.
Well, it would cause me to ride the Empire Builder. :D

I would love to see them on the Zephyr instead, but that train probably arleady has great ridership.

By the way, does anybody know how many of these cars on out on the road?

Steve4031 said:
AlanB said:
WICT106 said:
I have to admit that I liked what I saw when I rode the Capitol in March.  The sleeper I was in was one of the recent rebuilds.  Very nice.   B)

Well, it would cause me to ride the Empire Builder. :D

I would love to see them on the Zephyr instead, but that train probably arleady has great ridership.

By the way, does anybody know how many of these cars on out on the road?
Actually a few have appeared on 5/6.

The original post listed repairs of wrecks from 2003 to date (24). The "wrecked" cars (inaccurate list) was for cars take out of service since 2003 for wreck damage.

Acually, from 2002 thru today, 33 cars have been puled for wreck damage, with 4 (of the 24 listed) being returned to service. The ther 20 repairs were of wreck damage prior to 2002. All wreck repair has been stopped for several months (nothing this year).

Back