Superliner Lounge: the obnoxious garbage can and galley

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recycling is very cool: however the monster can currently has only one receptacle door. To receive beverage cans, it will need two receptacle doors and two bags. One for cans, the other for paper garbage. All of this is doable based upon TPTB seeing the benefit and making the adjustments. However, wont the monster be better suited with two receptacles and the monster box located downstairs? Isn't more room and window views important for upstairs?

Doesn't everyone agree that the seating, the large, open window space upstairs is an important draw to the car; that extra seats and greater access by more customers means more sales for the Café attendant? Isn't customer satisfaction and Amtrak earning more dollars what we want?

Way too fussy. I just spent a couple of days in a superliner and the only time I noticed that trash can was when I wanted to put something in it.

If your only train ride was like mine on the Cardinal, eating at a table for one facing a huge, crammed cardboard trash can and a bulkhead, you might never want to ride again.

Fortunately, that wasn't my first ride.

Guest Bus_Nut_, you made an important point earlier in the thread. My apology for the delay as I've not been able to reply until now.

You recently stated: "I like the idea of a vertical garbage can but I wonder what happens when somebody dumps a drink in there or breaks the liner or maybe something valuable they didn't mean to drop?"

The simple answer is that a "vertical garbage chute" - which could be designed and fabricated to connect a strategically placed garbage receptacle in the upstairs Superliner Lounge into the top of a monster can repositioned downstairs - could be functional and very accessible. The chute could be built with lightweight sheet metal that withstands fluid leaks and spills, for one. Secondly, the dimensional size of such material could accommodate the cardboard food trays now used in the Café to hold snacks and cans, etc. and relatively easy to build and service. The large garbage bag found inside the monster can would be best positioned downstairs for ease of removal by the crew (right out the lower galley service door without having to drag the bag down the narrow vestibule stairs from the upper deck.)

Anything of value accidently dropped in the "proposed upstairs receptacle" and down the chute could be retrieved from the garbage bag below. The crew would determine when that retrieval could take place, perhaps enroute or at the destination station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back