Superliner Layout

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireman_Steve

Train Attendant
My family took a short day trip today from Sebring Florida to Winter Park Florida on PO98 (north) and PO97 (south) The north bound trip ran about 20 minutes late and the south bound the same. It was a very enjoyable day trip as we are a train riding family.

I have a question about the layout of the superliner coach cars. After we finished having lunch in winter park we saw the Sunset Limited #1 from Orlando to LA was making its stop in winter park. It was nice to see a superliner from the outside since I only have ridden Amfleets so far.

Can you tell me how the superliners coach cars are layed out. Are there seats on both levels? As I understand it the superliners are normally used west of the mississipi but the sunset limited and the auto train both use them in florida.

Thanks for the help.

The Superliner Coach cars have 2+aisle+2 seating throughout on the upper level. The stairway to the upper level is located in the center of the car. Downstairs usually has about 14 to 16 coach seats. They are in a room seperated from the main train door entrance and stair area by a glass door just like the ones used to pass between cars. Downstairs superliner coaches also have dressing rooms and restrooms on the end opposite the disabled seating. Some of the superliner coaches have a smoking lounge downstairs in lieu of the 14-16 disabled coach seats. (usually one per train, with the exception of the Coast Starlight which does not allow smoking on board). Again, this is separated from the rest of the train by a glass door just like the disabled seating areas are. As to why the superliners are only used in the west with the exception of the Sunset Limited and Auto Train, I'm not sure. I have only traveled on superliners and California cars, so I'm not too sure what the differences are between Amfleets and Superliners.

As much as I love the cars, Amfleets are hell to sleep in overnight even with an added leg rest or more leg room. The Superliners are really nice and being upstairs and further away from the wheels give for a very nice ride.

jccollins said:
As to why the superliners are only used in the west with the exception of the Sunset Limited and Auto Train, I'm not sure. I have only traveled on superliners and California cars, so I'm not too sure what the differences are between Amfleets and Superliners.
Superliners are also used on the Capitol Limited and up until earlier this year they were used on the Cardinal. The severe equipment shortage, due to several wrecks, forced the Cardinal to go single level.

As to why you don't see Superliner in the Northeast, there are three limiting factors. One, the cars are too tall to fit through the tunnels at Baltimore and NY. Two, there are places where the catenary is too low for the cars. Third, Superliners require low level platforms. Too many of the major cities in the NE have high level platforms.

I'll say: I like superliners much much better than any other.

I think the viewliners are more attractive, I liked the window arrangements.....but I actually seem to sleep better in an upstairs room on a superliner.

Fireman_Steve said:
Can you tell me how the superliners coach cars are layed out. Are there seats on both levels?
My description of Coach Car 34135:

Two levels of seating, but the lower is for special needs people. The itty bitty bathrooms are on the lower-there's one at the back end for the ladies loung & potty; one potty has a little xtra room for changing, one for special needs and two normal tiny pottys (one stunk on my car, smelled both east AND west. had the same damn car!) These pottys are smaller than a motorcoach toilet but at leas the sinks worked.

The hallway is in the center. There are compartments for luggage on the lower level.

Upstairs you got seats. A couple seats have power sockets. The recline bigtime and are somewhat comfy enough to sleep. You'll have a table in front of you on each seatback.

At the top of the hallway you got trash, a water fountain & cups and sometimes mags and a schedule of your train.

And it's nice being out in the middle of nowheresland with no asphalt and no cars. Just you, the train & it's rails.

Amfleet said:
As much as I love the cars, Amfleets are hell to sleep in overnight even with an added leg rest or more leg room. The Superliners are really nice and being upstairs and further away from the wheels give for a very nice ride.
I personally never have and probably never will attempt to sleep in a Coach car. Usually I'll go talk to one of the sleeper attendants and ask tem if I can take a quick nap in one of their empty rooms. I did this on Sunday southbound on P097 after KIS, and it worked well. I took a 45 minute power nap and felt a lot better after words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back