Superliner Equipment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
We have the question asked from time to time about why no Superliners to New York City and of course the answer is they won't fit in the tunnels.

Were there other places they couldn't go when they were first added to the Amtrak roster? Did any routes need height modifications to structures, stations, etc to accommodate them? Or, is the NEC the only place they were never/still not able to traverse?

I'm sure some thought was put into the design based on where they would be used. Just curious if anyone has any knowledge about this subject.

Thanks!!

I remember reading they couldn't go to some places. Which is why several trains didn't initially convert out west.

You all are forgetting the high end platforms on all the stations from NYC-Syracuse. And on the NEC. This makes it virtually impossible for superliner service, when they subbed the LSL consist with superliners, they had to overshoot stations.

Corey

Anyplace you can run piggyback freight or autoracks, you can run superliners. Virtually all routes outside the northeast in the narrowest since of the definition of "the northeast" have long since had the work done to clear piggyback. If the route can clear doublestacks, you can sit on top of the superliners without being in danger of being hit by anything permanent.

If memory serves - and it doesn't always - there are many routes in the East and South which cannot accommodate Superliners. Tiny tunnels. But I believe railroads are beginning to realize the revenue potential of being able to handle stacked intermodals, and are therefore investing in clearance projects. Those improvements, in turn, would allow for Superliner operations. But the major question remains: Would this improved trackage translate to viable Amtrak routes?

It's not all about the tunnels. Most places on the NEC the superliners won't fit under the catenary.
Good point. No catenary around here, save museums and MUNI trolley buses, so I tend to forget about it.

EDIT: Oh wait, duh. Light rail. Blue, Green, Gold Lines. But Superliners probably wouldn't fit under those wires either.

EDIT2: Also MUNI F Line catenary. I'm ready to put myself in a home for the feeble-minded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back