Superliner Bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbqbill

Train Attendant
I have decided to slurge and spend the extra $300 for a bedroom rather than a roomette on #6 from EMY to CHI next month. I will be traveling alone and want to try the bedroom. Is there a difference among the bedrooms? Does the fact that A has no adjoining room compensate for its location at the end of the car? Are they all the same size? When I choose a roomette I prefer to be close to the center of the car. Is the same true for bedrooms?

Did you actually pick Bedroom A?

All of the Bedrooms are huge improvements over the roomettes, but in most people's opinions, Bedroom A is the least desirable. It has a different configuration, and because of the hallway bend, the corner is kind of chopped off a bit. But the amazing thing about the bedrooms is the shower. I personally loved having the shower and in-room toilet to use. Another HUGE benefit is the bed. The coach/bed is the widest of any Superliner room, bigger than even a twin. Another fantastic feature is that there is a chair that never folds, and so you can have your bed down and a chair and table to sit down at at night too. You know about the free meals and all of that stuff. Bedroom E is also undesirable due to its (noisy) location right above the door downstairs. Those are just my opinions though, I'm sure that there will be other important things I missed.

Johnny

See, now personally I hate the shower in the bedrooms. Way too small, I end up with smashed elbows. :eek:

And frankly I don't find A to be all that bad. You do get a bit more noise from the door to the next car opening, especially if you leave your room door open. But you don't have the sliding wall door that turns the other Bedrooms into a suite. A door that tends to rattle and doesn't exactly dampen the noise from your neighbors if they talk loudly.

People on this forum fuss far too much about the relative merits of bedrooms A versus B, B versus C, C versus D, E versus the others, ad nauseum.

Suffice it to say that ANY bedroom is a vast improvement over a roomette, which is essentially an old-style berth with a sliding door.

ANY bedroom will provide you a great night's sleep and your own private bathroom and shower. The noise level is low in all bedrooms if you have the door closed. But there is always some noise on a train, whether from a door, people talking as they pass by or stop for coffee, or people going up and down the stairs. The noise is by no means a real problem and at night almost never a problem.

Go for a bedroom and no matter what you are assigned by Amtrak, you'll be glad you sprung for it!

I completely understand what you're saying Alan. I'm 15, but I'm still only 5'1", so I can fit into basically anything. I did have a different experience on the door though. When I traveled in a refurbed Superliner I in room C in April on the CZ, the door was silent for the entire EMY-DEN ride. My grandma had not been on the train since the 50's, but because we had such a great time in our bedroom, she can't wait for me to plan more trips for us
tongue.gif

I am 5'3" and I love the shower in the bedroom. Room E is my favorite. I have not yet been in A, but i am sure I would like it also.

I completely understand what you're saying Alan. I'm 15, but I'm still only 5'1", so I can fit into basically anything. I did have a different experience on the door though. When I traveled in a refurbed Superliner I in room C in April on the CZ, the door was silent for the entire EMY-DEN ride. My grandma had not been on the train since the 50's, but because we had such a great time in our bedroom, she can't wait for me to plan more trips for us
tongue.gif
Well flip your age around and you've got me at 51. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 170, so it's not like I'm a giant either. Yes, I've got a few inches on you in height, but still. And like I said, I simply don't care for the in-room shower. Yes, I've used it on a few occasions for various reasons, including just trying it the first time to see what was up.

But given the chance, I'll always walk down the hall or downstairs to the public shower. Just easier IMHO. :)

This is the first trip my wife and I had a Roomette and I checked out the public shower in the lower level, WOW. It is huge. There is even a seat to sit on to change. I am a pretty big guy and I have a hard time moving my arms when I use the in room showers.

tongue.gif
Sheesh, Johnny, I didn't think you spent all that much time in the room on that trip - I thought you were in the observation car most of the time. :rolleyes:

Tell me, tell me, what are you planning for grandma this year? Is it east coast?

I have decided to slurge and spend the extra $300 for a bedroom rather than a roomette on #6 from EMY to CHI next month. I will be traveling alone and want to try the bedroom.
For most people, the highlight of the CZ is the spectular views. One point about the bedroom A-E on CZ - they are all upper level, so if you travel through a snow tunnel in the mountains, you still have a potential to see something besides the snow. Through the winter months, this is a big consideration.

If you get assigned to a roomette on the lower level, you'll have a lesser view. Being closer to the tracks, those windows tend to get dirty during winter or rain seasons. But you can get off the train during smoking stops and clean your own window.

That being said, the family bedroom on one end of the lower level doesn't have its own toilet/shower, but is HUGE. You can sleep two people on the wider lower bunk if you want to cuddle. And you can have seating while that bunk is available. The entry for that room is far enough from the car door that you don't have so much issue of cold blasts of air when someone boards or departs. And, you have windows on both sides of the train, so can take advantage of more views, even if you are blocked in by snow or other trains alongside. And you can reach the window to clean it when it gets dirty.

tongue.gif
Well flip your age around and you've got me at 51. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 170, so it's not like I'm a giant either. Yes, I've got a few inches on you in height, but still. And like I said, I simply don't care for the in-room shower. Yes, I've used it on a few occasions for various reasons, including just trying it the first time to see what was up.

But given the chance, I'll always walk down the hall or downstairs to the public shower. Just easier IMHO. :)
With respect to Bedroom A, one's size does matter. In particular, the location of the bathroom does not allow the bathroom door to full swing open. For me (add PennyK's estimated body weight + Alan's + another 5-10 pounds to= one John), entry to the Bedroom A bathroom can be a squeeze. I agree with Alan that it is nice not having a connecting door that can sometimes rattle. I will take B through E and the family room (has no shower) over A, but A over roomettes. Even though the bathrooms in the bedrooms are smallish, the early morning and overnight convenience of the bathroom and shower is the overiding selling point for me for a bedroom. A close second is the bed size.

Unless you are plus sized like me, A is likely just as good as B-E.

tongue.gif

With respect to Bedroom A, one's size does matter. In particular, the location of the bathroom does not allow the bathroom door to full swing open. For me (add PennyK's estimated body weight + Alan's + another 5-10 pounds to= one John), entry to the Bedroom A bathroom can be a squeeze. I agree with Alan that it is nice not having a connecting door that can sometimes rattle. I will take B through E and the family room (has no shower) over A, but A over roomettes. Even though the bathrooms in the bedrooms are smallish, the early morning and overnight convenience of the bathroom and shower is the overiding selling point for me for a bedroom. A close second is the bed size.

Unless you are plus sized like me, A is likely just as good as B-E.
As to large individuals:

Hey I've NEVER been in a situation on any train--and I've ridden hundreds--where the size of the neighboring individual made any difference to me in terms of comfort or anything else. And often, for whatever reason as I do not mean to typecast, they are the most pleasant people around.

Now on an airplane, I truly feel for large people because the airlines have made it a point to squeeze things down so that anyone not under 170 pounds is going to be uncomfortable and make others uncomfortable.

ANOTHER reason for riding trains AND a reason for hoping Amtrak never goes further than it has (with bathrooms) to emulating the dreaded airline designs!!

Yes, I've used it on a few occasions for various reasons, including just trying it the first time to see what was up.
The first time I used the shower, my reason was "oops, I thought this button flushed the toilet."

tongue.gif
Sheesh, Johnny, I didn't think you spent all that much time in the room on that trip - I thought you were in theobservation car most of the time.:

Tell me, tell me, what are you planning for grandma this year? Is it east coast?
I wish. She has a dif vacation planned for the whole family this summer, so it will prob still be another year away. But since she lives in the bay area, I think a nice simple Coast Starlight up to Seattle (where she grew up for a few years as a kid) would be nice. But ur right, the SSL was everyone's fave part of the CZ

what are you planning for grandma this year?
I think a nice simple Coast Starlight up to Seattle
Well, if it means anything, let her know that I think that's an incredibly enjoyable trip, even more so than all the time in the SSL on CZ. Love those swivel chairs in the Parlor Car!

I have a hard time saying whether EB or CS is my favorite, but I like both better than CZ [a situation of familiarity breeding contempt], and I imagine your grandmother might decide she likes CS even more than CZ.

what are you planning for grandma this year?
I think a nice simple Coast Starlight up to Seattle
Well, if it means anything, let her know that I think that's an incredibly enjoyable trip, even more so than all the time in the SSL on CZ. Love those swivel chairs in the Parlor Car!

I have a hard time saying whether EB or CS is my favorite, but I like both better than CZ [a situation of familiarity breeding contempt], and I imagine your grandmother might decide she likes CS even more than CZ.
Yeah, well I'm working on it. Trust me I am.
smile.gif

The two times I have had the fortune to have a bedroom instead of rooomette I have always been in Room E. I love the proximity to the coffee pot and juice. I also like just merely turning the corner to go downstairs to use the shower or go to the bathroom. (#2) :giggle: I have showered in the bedrooms and it is very tight so there's more room downstairs. I have usually kept my luggage in the upper berth during the day and then moved it at night on to the chair or floor near the bathroom. All in all, I find the bedrooms a HUGE asset in space and being comfortable on a trip. My first bedroom was on my first trip from LNK to EMY and most of you here told me to "keep the bedroom" when I saw how much I was paying compared to a roomette. I had a few here say, "cancel the bedroom and get the roomette and then use the saved money for future trips". I also used the bedroom from LNK-SAC then on the CS from SAC-SEA and then we also got a bedroom from SEA-CHI then went coach from CHI-LNK. The bedroom was so nice for our honeymoon and was worth it!

I prefer a roomette over a bedroom when travelling alone, because of the orientation of the bed. I also use the downstairs shower rather than the bedroom shower -- way more room.

I prefer a roomette over a bedroom when travelling alone, because of the orientation of the bed. I also use the downstairs shower rather than the bedroom shower -- way more room.

I do too. On a recent trip on the Texas Eagle from LAX to CHI in Bedroom B, I could hear the

people in Bedroom C talking. I cannot recall ever hearing people in the adjoining roomette on

any train.

I do too. On a recent trip on the Texas Eagle from LAX to CHI in Bedroom B, I could hear the

people in Bedroom C talking. I cannot recall ever hearing people in the adjoining roomette on

any train.
That's because a roomette is so tight for two people, they never stay there during the day but only go back at night to sleep!!! :giggle:

Quick question.. How easy is it to open/close the door that separates two bedrooms? Could it be done by a passenger, or is some kind of special key required that only the SCA has access to? My dad, a friend, and myself will be sharing bedrooms D&E this march. My dad snores (really loudly) and I was thinking I might want to close the door at night.

Quick question.. How easy is it to open/close the door that separates two bedrooms? Could it be done by a passenger, or is some kind of special key required that only the SCA has access to? My dad, a friend, and myself will be sharing bedrooms D&E this march. My dad snores (really loudly) and I was thinking I might want to close the door at night.
Might be hard. Last year I had bedroom E and when boarding at LAX, the partition door was slightly open to adjoining D and the SCA could not get it closed, but had to call for an Amtrak mechanic who got it almost closed, but then had to use liberal amounts of duct tape to seal the space so there wouldn't be noise coming through from the people next-door the entire trip to Portland!

I'd say, if it is open because you had both D and E, let sleeping dogs lie, so to speak! :rolleyes:

Of course you may always run into a lazy SCA who wants to get away with the minimum possible amount of work, but if you simply tell the SCA that you prefer to have the partition open by day but closed by night then he/she should honor your wishes. Do be sure to tip him for his efforts.

If it's working normally, it requires a key to open the partition, but then it just slides. You could slid it shut at night, but be warned that it can slid open on its own with the simple rocking motion of the train. And without being locked, there is no easy way to prevent it from sliding. A towel jammed in the door might stop it, but I wouldn't bet on it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back