Sunset LTD booked should we change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we are booked on the Sunset in September to Ontario, CA. I am getting very concerned about the timeliness of this train as we are driving to Vegas on Sunday our day of arrival.

While it is more expensive I have been looking at changing to the SW Chief and getting off in San Bernardino.

Is there a historical time chart for the Sunset so that we can see which days it is later than others?

Ironically, Amtrak does not even offer the route we have booked as a round trip option any longer (Memphis thru New Orleans to Ontario CA)

Hi missark,

No real irony here re: "Amtrak does not even offer the route we have booked as a round trip option any longer (Memphis thru New Orleans to Ontario CA." Not too many years ago, my family and I were able to board #59, The City of New Orleans in our hometown of Carbondale, Il, and if all went well, connect with #1, Sunset Ltd in NOL for our trips to the Southwest. If #59 was running late, we were detrained in Hammond, LA, boarded a spiffy bus with a couple of boxes of comp fried chichen, and would beat #59 to Lafayette, LA.

I love Lafayette, but the depot was one of the .... Syringes and spoons littered the area. I think it was eventually put out of its misery. Now a days, you must spend a night or two in NOL to make the connection (not too hard to handle). But re: "a historical time chart for the Sunset" I regret to say it's simply a roll of the dice.

Best to keep your plans loose, chill and enjoy the trip.

Bon yoyage,

Alan

Carbondale, Il

MP 312

if you trying to get Las Vegas why not take Train 3 into Kingman and rent a car or take the bus to Las Vegas ?

Back