Sunset Limited trip report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tod

Train Attendant
SL Trip Report. Just rode the Sunset Limited (Sept 2023)
- MRC to HOS ... Roomette booked, force "upgrade" (room change) to Accessible Room due to equipment change (car removed)
- HOS to MRC ... Coach booked

Booked the accommodations by specific choice as this was our first ever Amtrak trip ... and wanted to test out what was acceptable (what we could handle) to us for 27.5+ hours (over night) on an Amtrak train.
- Accessible Room was good ... privacy, lots of room (for a train), small windows but on both sides, lower level, seats don't recline, not overly noisy, basically the roomette seating/bunks with the room expanded to full width. That was acceptable to us for overnight accommodations. Unfortunately we didn't get to test the roomette (wife is claustrophobic). In the future we'll probably do a sleeper (hopefully test a roomette) for an overnight, but it will be limited (1 night max). I did the upper bunk, slept fine, initially a little concerned about falling out but got used to it, a little narrow but acceptable, I certainly can do that upper bunk again.
- Coach ... full length windows, good reclining seats, full length windows, good viewing, no privacy, noisy (people). Seating was acceptable, plenty of room, seating is comparable to first class on an airplane. For sleeping (I'm 6' 2", 195lb and 66y), coach didn't work out so well for me, no room for my feet, I'm assuming if you are 5' 8" and under it would probably be acceptable. The noise level at night was too much for my wife, I didn't have too much of a problem with the noise, my problem was with the space. We, have agreed ... we will never do coach for an overnight (but for different reasons).

Dinning car food was acceptable ... probably close to on par with a Denny's. The Dinning car ambiance was nice ... the staff was great. For breakfast I had the French Toast and I'm guessing they came out of a toaster, not actually cooked. For supper I had the Signature steak meal, it was Ok. I was kinda disappointed in the food ... didn't meet my expectations ... apparently set high. The ambiance did meet expectations and the service team certainly did ... very much enjoyed eating with the world passing by. The food was acceptable, not overwhelming in quantity nor expectations. I would normally get omelet, hash browns, bacon and toast for a breakfast meal at a restaurant ... there just wasn't enough, the quantity was low for each meal on Amtrak ... and considering the price ... there should be more. I get it, you are on a moving vehicle, but if the quality is just average and the quantity is low does the ambiance offset that price ... we didn't think so when traveling in coach.

Cafe car options were interesting, we didn't partake much. On our return trip in Coach our only "food" was from the Burrito Lady in El Paso ... the burrito was good (get two, they are small). The rest of the time we just depended on the snacks that we had brought.
- Also I didn't think you could take the alcohol purchased in the Cafe car out of the Cafe car ... maybe I'm wrong ... but there was plenty of alcohol in the Coach car. Brought on board and purchased on board. Which lead to several hours of load'ish conversation with occasional foul language amoung several passengers that formed a group conversation. I looked over on several occasions ... and a couple of times I got a "oops ... sorry". But after a few minutes it reverted back.

Lounge car wasn't much ... the same people pretty much setup camp in there. Plus ... come on ... there wasn't much to see ... West Texas, NM and AZ ... they all look the same ... so my expectations were very low. We probably would've taken more advantage of the care and views if we had been on another route.

We'll probably travel East (SL#2) again ... I highly doubt we'll ever travel West (SL#1) again. Either fly back to PHX or SWC via LA back to MRC.

Notorious Amtrak. Yeah ... they lived up to their reputation (at least on the return trip).
- East Bound ... all went well, arrived in HOS maybe 30 minutes late. Very good trip.
- West Bound ... 3 hours late leaving New Orleans, arrived only 30 minutes late. Stopped several times during the night for freight traffic resulting in being 1.5 hr late throughout the trip. In Tucson we pulled within spitting distance of the station and stopped ... for an 1.5 hr ... so that a freight train could be built. How do I know ... because it kept going back and forth right next to us for that 1.5 hr ... once it cleared we arrive in Tucson 3+ hours behind schedule. And then MRC (Maricopa, the PHX stop) instead of 8:52p we arrived at 12:39a ... 3h 47m late. This trip may have put my wife off of Amtrak forever, it will be a while before she'll ride again. Me ... I'll ride ... just not coach overnight.

Phone Apps Used:
- Google Maps app (iPhone) ... awesome for tracking exactly where you are
- Speedometer GPS app (iPhone) ... awesome for tracking where you are and speed
- Amtrak web site on Chrome browser app (iPhone) ... good for tracking where you are at and expectation of time for future stops
- Locator app (iPhone) ... for railroad specific crossing and track information

Yup, waiting forever on freight is probably the number one killer of those very mildly interested in Amtrak from ever doing it again. We need a separate passenger system but that will never happen.

I havent actually ridden in coach but on my walk-throughs through them the legroom seems to be very spacious compared to any airline seat I have ever seen in my life. Im 6'2" 300lbs so flying will never be an option for me ever again, it just isn't worth the massive physical headaches I get when I fly.

I too was disappointed with the French Toast when I tried it, it seemed to be just normal toast that was actually rather crusted on the edges for me. Just eggs and sausage were my breakfast of choice. All the other meals were good for me, just nothing that really stood out aside from the great desserts and the lunch burger was really good too. Are the burritos lady's burritos still $3 or has she had to go up on them?

Sounds like you had a rather normal Amtrak trip. I can tell you that the roomette is rather tight with two full grown adults in it. For tall and fat like me its perfect though.

On Superliners I would avoid roomette if two people are using it. We each had a roomette when we went from Alton, IL to Tucson, and bedrooms other times except on Viewliners where the ceiling is higher and the roomettes have both lower & upper windows. But I'm 5'9" & 145 lbs and my wife is 4'10" and 105 lbs. We have found dining car food good.

On Superliners I would avoid roomette if two people are using it. We each had a roomette when we went from Alton, IL to Tucson, and bedrooms other times except on Viewliners where the ceiling is higher and the roomettes have both lower & upper windows. But I'm 5'9" & 145 lbs and my wife is 4'10" and 105 lbs. We have found dining car food good.
To each his own and if that’s how you like to travel it’s all good. My wife and I are larger than you, but smaller than some. I love the solitude of a roomette and the ability to share with a companion. Oh, as long as I get the forward facing seat.

Im 6'2" 300lbs so flying will never be an option for me ever again, it just isn't worth the massive physical headaches I get when I fly.
Fly Southwest if you have to fly... they have a little known but quite generous 'passenger of size' policy. Basically you book (and pay for) two or even three seats. First one you book as JOHN SMITH. Second (or even third) as JOHN XS SMITH, where XS is inserted as the middle name. It triggers the system for early boarding at the airport, and they will give you a card to put on the extra needed seat(s) next to you so no one tries to sit there. Even if the plane goes out full, you are guaranteed that space. After you fly, stop at the ticket counter or call Southwest customer service and they will fully refund the XS (extra seat) tickets. It is truly the only humane way for bigger people to be able to fly. I ahve done this with my family who needs more than one seat a few times and never had any issues.

See HERE for official details.

Fly Southwest if you have to fly... they have a little known but quite generous 'passenger of size' policy. Basically you book (and pay for) two or even three seats. First one you book as JOHN SMITH. Second (or even third) as JOHN XS SMITH, where XS is inserted as the middle name. It triggers the system for early boarding at the airport, and they will give you a card to put on the extra needed seat(s) next to you so no one tries to sit there. Even if the plane goes out full, you are guaranteed that space. After you fly, stop at the ticket counter or call Southwest customer service and they will fully refund the XS (extra seat) tickets. It is truly the only humane way for bigger people to be able to fly. I ahve done this with my family who needs more than one seat a few times and never had any issues.

See HERE for official details.
The policy is still in effect, but I've read reports that if you request the refund at the arrival airport, they'll only give a partial refund now. You still get the full refund when you request it via phone.

As for alcohol, the policy is supposed to be that you can consume your own alcoholic beverages only while in a private sleeping accommodation (roomette or bedroom). Alcohol purchased on board can be consumed in coach, but not alcohol you bring on board.

Like most Amtrak policies, I’m pretty sure this is inconsistently enforced, so your actual experience might be different.

Back