Sunset Limited Schedule Change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henryj

Conductor
Gene Poon <[email protected]> Feb 01 10:17AM -0800

There is NO announcement on Amtrak.com and no notice in the timetable:

Train #2 will be departing Los Angeles (LAX) at 8pm on the following
days in 2014:

Feb. 02, 05, 07, 09, 16, 19, 21, 23

Mar. 02, 05, 07, 09, 16, 19, 21, 23

This is due to UP track work on the Gila Sub between Kinter and
Estrella.

On Sunday 2/2/14 ONLY, due to the late-announced schedule change and
lack of notification to passengers, transfer passengers from Train 11
will be bussed from San Luis Obispo to make the connection to Train

On the remaining days that Train #2 is affected by the track work
there will be NO SAME DAY CONNECTION Train #11 to Train #2.

Transfer pax from train 591 must use train 785

Transfer pax from train 796 must use train 790 (1790 on Sundays)

Train 2 will depart LAUPT at 8pm on days listed above.

In addition; Train 2 will depart two hours early from Pomona,
Ontario, Palm Springs and Yuma.

Train 2 will hold at Maricopa (MRC) to resume its normal operating
schedule.

NOTE: Schedule gets shuffled at Daylight Saving Time change on March 9,
2014; times in Arizona will be one hour earlier.

Amtrak appears to have broken the connection from #11 to #2 for the whole construction period, not just the dates listed in that post. For example, February 12 and 14 are both days that the Sunset runs. According to Arrow, that train leaves LAUPT at 10:00 on those days. However, when looking for a ticket from Northern California, Arrow won't spit out a routing that doesn't involve a San Joaquin and some buses.

When I look at the Amtrak site timetables, the following aren't even available: Downeaster, Heartland Flyer, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle. What's going on with that?

When I look at the Amtrak site timetables, the following aren't even available: Downeaster, Heartland Flyer, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle. What's going on with that?
Amtrak is just admitting that problems with this difficult winter, heavier that normal freight traffic and repairs to infrastructures are wrecking havoc with schedules.

A Montanan who enjoys trail travel.

Amtrak is just admitting that problems with this difficult winter, heavier that normal freight traffic and repairs to infrastructures are wrecking havoc with schedules.
Simply removing their own schedules from view isn't admitting anything. More like sweeping the problem under the rug.

A Texan who does not enjoy smoke being blown in his face.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect the missing schedules on the website is more of an IT issue than a reflection of policy. Those specific

schedules are all available on the national timetable which is linked to at the top of the page. Breaking out each

route individually is a user-friendly convenience. I expect they'll be posted again in a day or two, during which

time few people aside from rail-fans will have noticed their absence.

All of the missing schedules have re-appeared on the Amtrak website. I see no changes in the effective

dates, so I assume no changes to the actual schedules themselves of those routes.

They are available now.

Luckily my son will take me from New Hall to the Burbank airport station to catch the #790 into LAX on 2/7. I'm thinking this will make me on time into Tucson on the SL.

I got notified 3 times by phone and text about the delay on my San Joaquin train #712 and the bus bridge from Stockton to Modesto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back