Sunset Limited reopened again?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant
A few weeks ago I was on the City of New Orleans and the conductor was very excited and told me that Amtrak is considering opening the suspended service between New Orleans and Florida on the Sunset Ltd. again. Anyone out there who has more information on this? Please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed that train crews are often ill informed on this type of subject. Rumors abound. I certainly would not hold my breath on that one. Of course, most of us would like to see routes added or re-instated, but in this austerity climate with Amtrak, what you heard sounds like hot air.

That subject has been discussed to death and no further news on it. I forgot when, but last time on the subject, another study was going to be conducted to see if it's feasible, again.

These states in the eastern portion should try to start up a separate train, before re-extending existing LD trains. So far all has been talk and no action when it comes to new train service being started up, well except in Florida, but that's another story.

Although, out of any other LD route that's been studied, Sunset East has a better chance of being brought back compared to a restored Floridian, NCH, Pioneer, Desert Wind, whatever other route that has been studied in the past half decade or so.

Yes, it "does come up" every year, if not more often. Amtrak is busy hiring "summer crews" now, and I'm sure a few rail fans slip in thru the screening process, I can speculate that talk of trains past, and resurrections, overheard by some in training class, get taken as "company facts".

Thank you very much for your help and replies. Perhaps my conductor was a bit too optimistic. But I'd love to ride the Sunset East. Well, next year I'm going to ride the Eastern Seaboard, from New England to Florida and back. I would appreciate your help and suggestions, as I do not live in the US. I'd love to have a stopover and do a bit of sightseeing in Savannah, GA.

I don't think its going to happen until the states served start demanding it and thumping the table very hard and putting up some cash of their own.

Under the present political climate, i don't see that happening.

But one day in the distant future, who knows?

Hi Caravanman,

Thank you very much for the link, that was very helpful. Ten weeks in the Southwest? Wow! My travels are usually about three weeks. I'm looking forward to New England and Florida. And isn't it a pity that Amtrak has no service in Wyoming and South Dakota?

Caravanman -I am on the Palmetto bound for Charleston right now. :)
I hope you have a good time... I look forward to your trip report :)

Woodcut60,

I am retired, and mostly feel that if I am paying airfare to fly a long way for my holiday, it is good to get the most time there.

Mind you, I often stay in youth hostels, etc, to make the small pension stretch a bit !

I did a mix of Amtrak, Greyhound, and car hire to fill in the rail network gaps.

Ed :cool:

It would be great if the Sunset East was restored. Jacksonville could be the terminus, and people going South could connect with one of the Silver trains. I've taken the Sunset all the way from LA to Fort Lauderdale years ago. Traveling through the Florida Panhandle was very pleasant. Not having that leg between New Orleans and Jacksonville is the one obstacle preventing Amtrak from being a true coast to coast service.

SMH...............

I'm 57, (in a few days at least) I'll be DEAD before the SSL ever goes east of NOL again........

I truly wish it would, but it's all a pipe dream.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/amtrak/news/Amtrak-mulls-plan-to-reintroduce-Gulf-Coast-service--47099

A recent (January 26) article on this topic. So my Conductor on the City of New Orleans wasn't so wrong after all.
Restoring service between New Orleans and Orlando, yes. Restoring Sunset Ltd. to Orlando, no. The current plan has three alternatives:

1. Extend the City of New Orleans to Orlando

2. A separate train (maybe Gulf Breeze or some such) from New Orleans to Orlando timed for the convenience of those on its route.

3. A train from New Orleans to Mobile and a Thruway bus from Mobile to Jacksonville.

We are hoping that choice number 1 comes to pass. If that happens, it will be City of New Orleans to Orlando, not Sunset Limited to Orlando, which is what the title of this thread implies.

Yes, you're right. I guess an extension of the Sunset Limited is not an alternative anymore. I've read Amtrak's report submitted to the SRC. It's good that they are discussing it after more than ten years.

Instead of extending the whole train maybe just a couple thru cars ? 1 sleeper and 1 coach ? That way most CHI cars can be serviced in NOL and 2 thru Florida cars could swap destinations and terminate in NOL for servicing. So 2 cars that went NOL - Florida would proceed to CHI ?

There is no plan to extend the Sunset Limited. There's a plan to either: 1) extend the CONO, or 2) establish a stub train that originates in New Orleans.

I'm actually against extending the CONO for this run. I would much prefer a stand alone train. Now if it's the only option I would support it. But I think having a run like that delays would be bad

There is no plan to extend the Sunset Limited. There's a plan to either: 1) extend the CONO, or 2) establish a stub train that originates in New Orleans.
I believe the stub train was supposed to originate in San Antonio since it was also part of a plan to turn the Sunset West into a daily Texas Eagle. If the CONO does merge with the Texas Eagle then we can presume the TE will lose their cook as well. And so it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back