Sunset Limited - NO to LA Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is this allowed to happen ? The timetable states that sleeping car passengers are wecome to occupy thier accommodations untill 6:30 AM. Has anyone complained to Amtrak about this kind of treatment ? I know that the crew has a life and all that. They also have a job. But many first timers will take the timetable at its word. Quite a shock for the uninformed as to how Amtrak crews really work.

Yes, I have been riding Amtrak for years. I know that every trip is not always the best. I roll with it most times. Amtrak always an adventure. However I think this part of the adventure is a bit much.

Not looking for a war. Just some discussion on this topic.
Well, we don't actually know that it is happening. So far we have only one report, someone that Texas Sunset knew, that they were kicked off in LA from a sleeper. And we have no idea when that happened either, maybe it was right in the first week of the new schedule and the attendant hadn't gotten the memo yet.

We also have only one confirmed story of someone being allowed to stay onboard.

So for right now, our sampling is rather small. On the other hand, if it were a widespread problem, I suspect that there would be more posts floating around the net from people tossed off prior to 6:30 AM.

Why is this allowed to happen ? The timetable states that sleeping car passengers are wecome to occupy thier accommodations untill 6:30 AM. Has anyone complained to Amtrak about this kind of treatment ? I know that the crew has a life and all that. They also have a job. But many first timers will take the timetable at its word. Quite a shock for the uninformed as to how Amtrak crews really work.

Yes, I have been riding Amtrak for years. I know that every trip is not always the best. I roll with it most times. Amtrak always an adventure. However I think this part of the adventure is a bit much.

Not looking for a war. Just some discussion on this topic.
Well, we don't actually know that it is happening. So far we have only one report, someone that Texas Sunset knew, that they were kicked off in LA from a sleeper. And we have no idea when that happened either, maybe it was right in the first week of the new schedule and the attendant hadn't gotten the memo yet.

We also have only one confirmed story of someone being allowed to stay onboard.

So for right now, our sampling is rather small. On the other hand, if it were a widespread problem, I suspect that there would be more posts floating around the net from people tossed off prior to 6:30 AM.

Alan thanks for keeping me on track. I jumped the gun on this one.

Leaving on Wednesday... I've changed my departure and return to Lafayette instead of New Orleans. I guess I will be parking at the airport and taking a cab.

This is the first time in a long time I'm not anxious about traveling. :D

Leaving on Wednesday... I've changed my departure and return to Lafayette instead of New Orleans. I guess I will be parking at the airport and taking a cab.

Hope you have a great trip!

I boarded the SL at Lafayette in June 2006 and left my car at the airport, also, and used the airport shuttle to get to the train station. On the return trip from LA, I called the shuttle when the SL reached Crowley, and the shuttle was waiting when we arrived at Lafayette. Had some concerns at the time about getting a taxi if the train was late, after a security guard at the Transit Center told me that a taxi might or might not be there to pick us up. She said taxi drivers had been stiffed many times by bus passengers whose rides were late in picking them up. Shuttle was very convenient and provided lots of peace of mind, especially at that time, when the SL frequently ran late. On my return trip, we got back into Lafayette about 2:30 p.m., which just three hours late. Have to say crew on the SL were the best I've encountered. They kept a strong presence in the coach car, and I always felt safe. This was my first Amtrak trip and remains my favorite.

So do I, to arrive LAX around 7 or 8 am. That would give enough time for a run to Phillipe's and get back for the CS!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back