Sunset Limited, Maricopa to LFT

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Harper

Lead Service Attendant
This was the second part of our trip to AZ. The return trip! The service at the Maricopa station was much better! Shortly before our train arrived, an Amtrak conductor came around to check everyone's tickets. Everyone was lined up according to their reservations. My hubby and I were put at the head of the line since we had sleeping car reservations! This time we knew to head for the sleeping car to board.

Since we were getting on late at night, the attendant had to prepare our roomette for sleeping shortly after we boarded. For this trip we were in the lower level of the regular sleeping car. I'm glad I'm not the superstitious type, as they had put us in roomette #13!

Our first meal was breakfast, and since we didn't have to make a reservation, we went to the dining car as soon as we were presentable. I was disappointed that they didn't serve pancakes, but they did have French toast, which was pretty good because they used Texas toast (thicker slices).

I managed to spend some time in the lounge car this trip, although it was pretty full. There were several kids on board, and once I remember getting up from my seat in the lounge car when a group of them came in and were being rather noisy. I can put up with my noisy grandkids, but when it's someone else's kids, I have a low tolerance.

Lunch consisted of sandwiches, but they also provided us with a dessert if we wanted one.

At the San Antonio stop, I managed to take a picture of the old locomotive they had decorated with Christmas lights:

5428675679_412112a46a.jpg

I really don't have a whole lo tell about this trip except that the beds were once again uncomfortable. It's like sleeping on Army cots. Mattresses were really thin, and the ride was bumpy. When we finally arrived in Lafayette, I felt like I was one of James Bond's martinis (shaken, not stirred).

Hopefully my next trip on the City of New Orleans will be a better ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back