Sunset Limited #1 into LAX, breakfast recommendations.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCoastHiawatha

OBS Chief
Since #1 arrives in LAX at 5:35 (often even early than that), I'm looking for recommendations on a place to grab breakfast. I can that there is a Denny's nearby, but judging from the reviews it looks bad even for a Denny's. I've seen Philipee's recommended on here before. I can see that it's not to far, but I've never arrived in LA this early in the morning, is walking around the station advisable that early in the morning

I have never been there that early so not much help. I have been there after dark though, and at 530ish it could be dark depending on what month you are traveling, and I would not go out of the station after dark. It's not the worst section of LA but not the best either. I guess I'd play it by ear but if it looks like how it did in the evening, I'd wait a bit to go to Phillipe's.

If I was arriving that early and wanted to eat soon, I'd consider hopping on the red or purple line for a few stops and eating at the Original Pantry. http://www.pantrycafe.com/

I can about guarantee that you won't go away hungry. The portions were rather large the two times I have eaten there. I used to work right near it and I thought it was a nicer area than where Phillipe's is located.

Since #1 arrives in LAX at 5:35 (often even early than that), I'm looking for recommendations on a place to grab breakfast. I can that there is a Denny's nearby, but judging from the reviews it looks bad even for a Denny's. I've seen Philipee's recommended on here before. I can see that it's not to far, but I've never arrived in LA this early in the morning, is walking around the station advisable that early in the morning
If you want you can stay on the Train until 6:30AM (it sometimes arroives as Early as 4:30AM!!!) but no real need to!

Philippe the original opens @ 6AM and is THE Place for Breakfast and Lunch around Union Station!/it's Located @ 1001 Alameda, across the Street from Union Station and Three Blocks to the Right from the Front Entrance to Union Station!(you'll Pass the Metro Plaza Hotel on the way!) You might see a few Panhandlers Outside but this is a Safe Area except maybe from say 1AM-4AM. China Town is around Union Station and people and Traffic start Early in LA! Plenty of Security around too!

Since they cracked down on the Homeless that hung out and Lived in the Bathrooms of Union Station it shouldnt be any Problem! Plenty of Commuters will be arriving via Subway and Bus as well as the Passengers getting off the Sunset so there will be plenty of People around!

Also the new Metro lounge Opens @ 6AM for Sleeping Car Passengers! its Upstairs over the Amtrak Ticket Counters , go past the Counters to the Elevator! You can Leave your stuff, use the Clean Restroom and even have Coffe and Pasteries if you want to wait awhile for Breakfast! Very Helpful and Friendlly Staff!

As Dan said, the Original Pantry is Good also but it involves a Subway or Taxi Ride and most people think Pilippe is Better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Philippe hands down! They have an excellent traditional breakfast menu very reasonably priced and if you can hold out until about 8 or so and so desire, they begin carving and you can take on a French Dip or one of the other famous sandwiches. My system does not follow traditional eating patterns and I have no problem getting a Double Dip loaded to the gunwales with Peppers well before the Coast Starlight departs :)

And don't forget the Pickle!

http://www.philippes.com/breakfast/

As Dan said, the Original Pantry is Good also but it involves a Subway or Taxi Ride and most people think Pilippe is Better!
Say it ain't so. I like the Original Pantry better but both have their good points. OP never closes and it is in a bit better area. Phillipe's have those pig feet that kept my kids mesmerized while we were waiting in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back