Summer 2008 Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
As we began boarding the SWC at around 11am, we found our sleeper attendent to be cheerful and very attentive. Her name was Marcella and was on one (if not) her first solo run as an Amtrak employee. She was great! The train was way late but I wasn't worried, the SWC has a great OTP so we should be in CHI way early to catch the LSL. :unsure: Well...we sat in KCY for another 30 minutes as a stretcher was brought out to the SWC but no one ever got off the stretcher or on to the stretcher. Couldn't figure that one out! We had a great Dining Car crew and most notably Kevin. He was our waiter and really helped make this part of our trip fun! Our two roomettes were in the lower level of the Superliner and they were HOT!!!! Something was wrong with the AC but we all managed. "Part of the Experience" we all said. We were all delighted to be on a train instead of a plane. Amtrak is so.....uh...Punk Rock! :lol:

The SWC was still traversing floodwaters near Ft. Madison and dealing with very heavy freight traffic. The "fun" of this leg of our trip started to diminish as it looked more and more like we were going to miss our connecting train the Lakeshore Limited. Trying to keep our chins up was Marcella and Kevin. Around 8pm we heard that they were going to "hold" the LSL, at 9pm an announcement was made that they "weren't for sure". Our hearts sank. Getting to NYC a day late was really going to screw things up. We all were getting dejected until about 9:30am when the conductor came on and announced that the Lakeshore Limited was going to "hold" for all connecting passengers. I have travelled Amtrak enough to see the "glee" in the eyes of my travelling companions and they could see the "skepticism" on my face and eyes. I said I would "celebrate" when our butts and baggage was on the Lakeshore Limited. That put a damper on things until we de-trained at CUS at 10:30 to awaiting Red Caps waiting to whisk us away to the still Chicago Union Station track number ? where our train and sleeper attendent was waiting for us. We were on the Lakeshore Limited! We missed the wine and cheese and our sleeper attendent Shawna offered to go get us some. We were tired and stressed but finding the new digs quite comfortable. (Viewliner Roomettes) :lol: I had an attitude adjustment just by feeling the relief I was going to get my party to NYC "on time". I liked the SWC route, it was the first non CZ route and the employees on the #4 were great! Amtrak is always an adventure and I was elated to be moving as the LSL pulled out of CUS. At that point it was time for a shower and off I went to find the shower stall, to unwind, and scrub away what stress was endured. Also....this sounds so stupid but I get a kick out of showering on a fast moving train! More to come folks.........gotta get to bed!

Next....Our first Amfleet Equipment, our 2nd different Amtrak train ever and my review of train #48....The Lakeshore Limited!

Hey Al

Wow, sounds you had a real nailbiter with your LSL connection. I know last summer, that was my biggest worry - especially since my trip was a work-related one - coming into a conference a day late wouldn't have been the end of the world, but it might have drawn more scrutiny from my boss if I wanted to take it again in the future. The EB was something like 5-6 hours late the two days prior but was only 1/2 late the day I was on. It was a big sigh of relief for me as well.

Glad to hear you had a good experience with the SWC crew. My two times on the SWC so far have been consistently good as far as crew service and attitudes.

Can't wait to hear what you think of the Viewliner/Amfleets :)

Dan

Al,

Even called me down in Disney World around 8:00 PM, since I was on vacation at the same time, because he was so worried about the connection. About an hour later I noticed that the online departure time of the LSL was showing a delay, so I called him back to let him know that things looked good. I can't recall if I actually got him or his voice mail though at the moment, but he did call me back later to tell me that they had actually made the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back