Suggestions for our CS/CZ trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longhorn

Train Attendant
Howdy! My husband and I live in Austin and will be taking our first train trip in August. We have a son in the Marines stationed at Camp Pendleton and a daughter in Denver (plus two daughters here in Austin.)

We plan to fly to LAX on a Thursday morning, rent a car and spend two days with our son (hoping he can get leave!) Then on Saturday morning, we plan to take the CS to EMY, getting in Saturday night. We'll spend Sunday in the area and then on Monday morning, catch the CZ from EMY to DEN, getting in late Tuesday. We'll spend Wednesday and Thursday in Denver with our daughter and then fly back to Austin Friday morning.

Questions:

1. Is a roomette worth it for the CS trip? It's not overnight but I like the idea of having our own space and having meals included, plus the wine tasting.

2. Probably a dumb question but is the LAX train station the same as the LAX airport? If so, then we can rent a car after our flight into LAX and return it to the same location for our train trip out of LAX?

3. Do you have suggestions on where to stay for two nights in San Francisco and the best way to get there from EMY? We've been there before but only for a couple of days so don't mind at all revisiting Fisherman's Wharf or China Town or Nob Hill -- whatever we can get to by public transportation.

4. Which room is it that allows a view on both sides of the train (with the door open, I think): a roomette or a bedroom?

I've been reading the board for a couple of weeks now and picking up some tips but could use your help with these (and maybe more) questions.

Thanks! :D

Howdy! My husband and I live in Austin and will be taking our first train trip in August. We have a son in the Marines stationed at Camp Pendleton and a daughter in Denver (plus two daughters here in Austin.)
We plan to fly to LAX on a Thursday morning, rent a car and spend two days with our son (hoping he can get leave!) Then on Saturday morning, we plan to take the CS to EMY, getting in Saturday night. We'll spend Sunday in the area and then on Monday morning, catch the CZ from EMY to DEN, getting in late Tuesday. We'll spend Wednesday and Thursday in Denver with our daughter and then fly back to Austin Friday morning.

Questions:

1. Is a roomette worth it for the CS trip? It's not overnight but I like the idea of having our own space and having meals included, plus the wine tasting.

2. Probably a dumb question but is the LAX train station the same as the LAX airport? If so, then we can rent a car after our flight into LAX and return it to the same location for our train trip out of LAX?

3. Do you have suggestions on where to stay for two nights in San Francisco and the best way to get there from EMY? We've been there before but only for a couple of days so don't mind at all revisiting Fisherman's Wharf or China Town or Nob Hill -- whatever we can get to by public transportation.

4. Which room is it that allows a view on both sides of the train (with the door open, I think): a roomette or a bedroom?

I've been reading the board for a couple of weeks now and picking up some tips but could use your help with these (and maybe more) questions.

Well Well Well, it this Longhorn from DU? Small world, isn't it! I'm just north of you, in Jonestown. I, too, will be taking the CS and CZ for the first time at the end of this month, but I'll be visiting my son and his family in Seattle. I'll take the Texas Eagle from Taylor to LA, overnight in LA, and take the CS to Seattle. I'll return via the CS to the CZ to the SWC to the HF and hook up w/the TE at Ft Worth, but I think I'll miss y'all, as my return takes place the middle of July. I've been taking trains various places since the '80's, and absolutely love it! I usually travel Coach, however, because my funds are limited. The one time I did take a sleeper was on a trip from Houston to Chicago. It was very enjoyable to have a room all to myself, and the staff could not have been more pleasant! I will never fly again if I have to travel in the US. I find train travel to be a much more civilized way of getting there. If you can afford the price, I would highly recommend getting the sleeper. The one question of yours I can answer specifically is that the Train Station is in Downtown LA, and nowhere near the Airport. But they do have a shuttle that goes to the Airport and costs about $3 per person. Enjoy your trip!

Questions:

Well Well Well, it this Longhorn from DU? Small world, isn't it! I'm just north of you, in Jonestown. I, too, will be taking the CS and CZ for the first time at the end of this month, but I'll be visiting my son and his family in Seattle. I'll take the Texas Eagle from Taylor to LA, overnight in LA, and take the CS to Seattle. I'll return via the CS to the CZ to the SWC to the HF and hook up w/the TE at Ft Worth, but I think I'll miss y'all, as my return takes place the middle of July. I've been taking trains various places since the '80's, and absolutely love it! I usually travel Coach, however, because my funds are limited. The one time I did take a sleeper was on a trip from Houston to Chicago. It was very enjoyable to have a room all to myself, and the staff could not have been more pleasant! I will never fly again if I have to travel in the US. I find train travel to be a much more civilized way of getting there. If you can afford the price, I would highly recommend getting the sleeper. The one question of yours I can answer specifically is that the Train Station is in Downtown LA, and nowhere near the Airport. But they do have a shuttle that goes to the Airport and costs about $3 per person. Enjoy your trip!
Yikes, I've been busted! :D Yes, it is me! And yes, we'll miss each other but I will love hearing about your trip when you get back! We're not going until August. Please PM me and let me know if you post a report!

Thanks for clearing up about LAX. That will definitely make a difference in our transfers. Our son has a roadster so he can't cart us around.

It's up to you. But I've heard from others that they were offering the wine tasting to coach passengers also. (But maybe that was only during the soft launch.)

No, as others have said there is a FlyAway bus that runs between LAX (the airport) and LAX (Union Station).

3. Do you have suggestions on where to stay for two nights in San Francisco and the best way to get there from EMY?
If you book your ticket either to or from SF (such as LAX-SFC or SFC-DEN), you can take the Amtrak Thruway bus directly to SF. And many times, the fare is about the same as just to/from OKJ or EMY! (Note - there are IIRC 6 stops in SF!)

I believe you're thinking of a bedroom. Roomettes have another roomette opposite you. But if you go to the Sightseer Lounge car, you can see both sides (and more)! You MUST visit it at some point! B)

It's up to you. But I've heard from others that they were offering the wine tasting to coach passengers also. (But maybe that was only during the soft launch.)

No, as others have said there is a FlyAway bus that runs between LAX (the airport) and LAX (Union Station).

3. Do you have suggestions on where to stay for two nights in San Francisco and the best way to get there from EMY?
If you book your ticket either to or from SF (such as LAX-SFC or SFC-DEN), you can take the Amtrak Thruway bus directly to SF. And many times, the fare is about the same as just to/from OKJ or EMY! (Note - there are IIRC 6 stops in SF!)

I believe you're thinking of a bedroom. Roomettes have another roomette opposite you. But if you go to the Sightseer Lounge car, you can see both sides (and more)! You MUST visit it at some point! B)
I must not be entering the information correctly at the online reservation site. If I go from LAX to SFC or SFW, the CS option doesn't come up. If I break it down, no trips come up after the CS gets to EMY. Maybe they don't run that late?

I'm wondering if a taxi is all that expensive from EMY to Fisherman's Wharf?

Thanks for all your helpful answers!

Longhorn said,

I must not be entering the information correctly at the online reservation site. If I go from LAX to SFC or SFW, the CS option doesn't come up. If I break it down, no trips come up after the CS gets to EMY. Maybe they don't run that late?

Thanks for all your helpful answers!

Try entering your plans on the multi-city trip page, LAX>EMY, Then EMY>SFC. Be sure to enter the time you'll depart EMY; after 10:02PM. It looks like you'll have a short wait for the bus to San Francisco.

HTH

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
If you put in "LAX" for the depature city, "SFC" for the arrival city and make sure that you select a departure time of 10:00 AM, the computer will give you a trip on the Coast Starlight from LA to Fisherman's Wharf in downtown San Fran.

Note: They will take you off the train at Oakland however, not Emeryville, and put you on a bus to San Fran.

Try entering a time of 10 AM where it says the time (it says "anytime" by default), and you will see the CS option. (The CS departs at 10:15 AM.) The website shows only so many lines, and the CS departs after those other options.

I think a taxi will be expensive.

Try entering a time of 10 AM where it says the time (it says "anytime" by default), and you will see the CS option. (The CS departs at 10:15 AM.) The website shows only so many lines, and the CS departs after those other options.

That worked! Thanks! However, the connection times are very tight, especially for getting into Oakland -- like 12 minutes! I think we may need to taxi to SFW but we can catch the bus to EMY the morning of our departure to Denver. We'll already be getting into the SF area pretty late, even if the train is on time.

That worked! Thanks! However, the connection times are very tight, especially for getting into Oakland -- like 12 minutes! I think we may need to taxi to SFW but we can catch the bus to EMY the morning of our departure to Denver. We'll already be getting into the SF area pretty late, even if the train is on time.
The bus from Oakland to SF doesn't leave until the train gets there, no matter what!

So unless you take a scenic tour of the Oakland train station upon your arrival, you can't miss the bus. :lol:

The bus from Oakland to SF doesn't leave until the train gets there, no matter what!

So unless you take a scenic tour of the Oakland train station upon your arrival, you can't miss the bus. :lol:
Well, what do you know? :) This is what makes this board so invaluable! Thanks so much!

We plan to fly to LAX on a Thursday morning...Then on Saturday morning, we plan to take the CS to EMY... then on Monday morning, catch the CZ from EMY to DEN.
Sounds like a great trip!

We've been there before but only for a couple of days so don't mind at all revisiting Fisherman's Wharf or China Town or Nob Hill -- whatever we can get to by public transportation.
I agree with the suggestion to take the Amtrak Bus from the CS (at Oakland) and to the CZ (at EMY). These are "guaranteed connections".

The Amtrak Busses serve several stops in San Francisco, each with its own Station Code (SFF, SFC, SFW, SFS, SFM, SFV, SFP) even though all except SFC (Ferry Building) are nothing more than a bus stop. All of the stops are by public transportation, and all except SFM (Muscone Convention Center) are adjacent to Muni Rail. Several are also convenient for the Cable Cars.

You could test itineraries with the Amtrak Website to see whether the particular Busses you would need would serve any or all of these Bus Stops. Most of the Stops would have hotels nearby as well. You might use hotel preference as a starting point... or choose by district (Fishermans' Wharf vs Downtown).

Once there, you can enjoy the Heritage Streetcar (F-Wharves Line) from Fisherman's Wharf, along the Embarcadero, and up Market Street (travelling on the surface), and the Cable Cars (which serve Chinatown and Nob Hill), plus the rest of the Light Rail System (which goes all over town, using the Market Street Subway).

I live near SF, so feel free to let me know if you would like further travel information about the City.

You could test itineraries with the Amtrak Website to see whether the particular Busses you would need would serve any or all of these Bus Stops.
I checked this for you. The three best Amtrak Bus Stops would be Ferry Building (SFC), Fisherman's Wharf (SFW), and Shopping Center (SFS, also called "Union Square", but it's not really very close to Union Square at all).

Bus 6014 meets the Northbound CS in Oakland.

10:10 PM -- SFC

10:25 PM -- SFW

10:40 PM -- SFS

Bus 5006 gets you to the Eastbound CZ in Emeryville.

6:35 AM -- SFS

6:55 AM -- SFW

7:15 AM -- SFC

If you have checked luggage, you might prefer SFC, which is the only San Francisco Stop with Baggage Service.

That Station is open from 6:00 AM to 10:50 PM, including the ticketing machines. The Ticket Office and the Baggage Service close at 10:20... but surely not before your Bus from Oakland would arrive.

The other stations are simply bus stops, which means you have to take it on faith that the Bus will really show up for you at or near the designated time.

SFC -- the Ferry Building, at the Foot of Market Street -- would be a good place for a Taxi ride to and from your hotel with luggage. For the adventuresome, it is right on the F-Wharves Heritage Streetcar, and one block away from the California Street Cable Car and the Embarcadero Station for Light Rail and for BART.

Any Hotel downtown or at the Wharf is not very far away (as the crow flies).

We plan to fly to LAX on a Thursday morning...Then on Saturday morning, we plan to take the CS to EMY... then on Monday morning, catch the CZ from EMY to DEN.
Sounds like a great trip!

We've been there before but only for a couple of days so don't mind at all revisiting Fisherman's Wharf or China Town or Nob Hill -- whatever we can get to by public transportation.
I agree with the suggestion to take the Amtrak Bus from the CS (at Oakland) and to the CZ (at EMY). These are "guaranteed connections".

The Amtrak Busses serve several stops in San Francisco, each with its own Station Code (SFF, SFC, SFW, SFS, SFM, SFV, SFP) even though all except SFC (Ferry Building) are nothing more than a bus stop. All of the stops are by public transportation, and all except SFM (Muscone Convention Center) are adjacent to Muni Rail. Several are also convenient for the Cable Cars.

You could test itineraries with the Amtrak Website to see whether the particular Busses you would need would serve any or all of these Bus Stops. Most of the Stops would have hotels nearby as well. You might use hotel preference as a starting point... or choose by district (Fishermans' Wharf vs Downtown).

Once there, you can enjoy the Heritage Streetcar (F-Wharves Line) from Fisherman's Wharf, along the Embarcadero, and up Market Street (travelling on the surface), and the Cable Cars (which serve Chinatown and Nob Hill), plus the rest of the Light Rail System (which goes all over town, using the Market Street Subway).

I live near SF, so feel free to let me know if you would like further travel information about the City.
Your response is very timely as I'm just getting ready to make reservations! Our plans have changed slightly in that our son will be going to sergeant's school while we're there so we won't spend time in the San Diego area. So that gives us an extra day in San Francisco and an extra day in Denver.

I was planning on staying near Fisherman's Wharf so I think the bus transfers you (and others) have suggested will work out perfectly! I was all set to book the Argonaut Hotel on Jefferson near the Wharf but the sale they were having yesterday is gone. I still have plenty of time for the hotel, though. I think I'll get the planes and trains worked out first! :)

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back