Suggestions for July AGR Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sueb

Train Attendant
I've gone back to school, so free time to travel is limited. Also money. However, I have about 25,000 AGR points and a mid-term break either July 2-6 or July 8-11. (Previously scheduled appt at home on the 7th.) Would appreciate suggestions for 2 or 3 day round trips for 2 people using AGR points for all travel (or nearly all) and with affordable lodging options w/o having to rent a car. We'd be leaving from Harrisburg PA. Possibilities I've considered include Niagara Falls, Vermont, Williamsburg VA or Jacksonville FL. We'd happily consider a trip that would be all train riding w/o any overnights "on land." Be creative and give me some ideas. Not sure I'll do any of it, but I'm sure you guys know options I haven't thought of. Surprise me.

Id think that the 4th of July holiday (your first option) will find trains full/high bucket, also the same with hotels etc. ;)

Some quick thoughts are ride to Philadelphia, see the usual tourist sights (you can Goggle them up),or in the other direction go to Pittsburgh, an unappreciated place IMO! You could also go to Washington or Baltimore, hotels might be a little more dear, Id think New York City would be too expensive, Chicago a little too far for a three day trip!Charlottsville,VA is another pretty neat place, beautiful,historic, not too big or expensive, easy to reach on the Card or the Crescent! Hope that helps? (BTW-Niagara Falls is great but will be more crowded than NYC on these weekends!Also probably pricey!) And believe it or not Cleveland is also a neat place to visit (smile Jeff!),lots to do there now! :) * Of course 25,000 points is not enough for a one zone/roundtrip roomette trip, but coach with upgrade to business class on the special or northeast zone routes are possible!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have only 25,000 points, that would not be enough for two 1 zone awards (out and back) for a roomette! Those are 15,000 points each way! :(

BUT, because you live in HAR, that is the western edge of the Northeast zone! :D That means a trip totally within the Northeast zone is 3,000 points (for coach) or 6,500 points (for business class), each way per person! Note NO Acela Express is permitted for these rates. Some cities included in the Northeast zone include NYP, WAS, Niagara Falls, Montreal, Boston and Portland, Maine! ;)

If you have only 25,000 points, that would not be enough for two 1 zone awards (out and back) for a roomette! Those are 15,000 points each way! :(
However, 5200 more points (4000 + 1200 bonus thru 7/31) would only cost $110. Assuming, of course, that she hasn't already bought her 10K allowance of points this year. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get serious about Charlottesville, VA, there is a reasonably priced Red Roof Inn about 5 blocks from the Amtrak Station..... it's right on the edge of the University of Virginia campus.

Another lodging idea in Virginia would be the Henry Clay Inn in Ashland, VA. The Henry Clay is probably $25-$30 per night more expensive than the Charlottesville Red Roof BUT it is right across the street from the Amtrak Station. It's a recreation of the original railway hotel but fairly small....only 14 rooms or so.

I would go to Vermont. It is nice in the summer. Not too hot, not many people and many tourist sites to visit.

We usually go up in mid-June and stay at the Trapp Family Lodge. You would need to rent a car. The Vermonter

goes to Burlington (Essex Jct) and is a nice ride. We usually drive, but I have taken the Vermonter to White River Jct

spend the night and return the next morning. I hope you have a nice break.

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory is in Waterbury!!

Does any of the cities mentioned have a hostel? I stay in hostels fairly regularly. You get a bunk bed in the $20 per night range and sometimes free breakfast. Best hostel in a big city is in Chicago. HI Chicago. BTW, I'm not a 20 year old backpacker guy but a middle aged man in his upper 40's.

Thanks folks, that gives me some things to think about. Charlottesville is one I had not considered but might be fun. I like VT and the idea of going north, but the lodging/car rental part is an obstacle. Hostels are something to consider, but since my son is handicapped, we might run into accessibility issues.

Even if we don't go anywhere this summer, planning an imaginary trip is fun, too. Thanks again.

Thanks folks, that gives me some things to think about. Charlottesville is one I had not considered but might be fun. I like VT and the idea of going north, but the lodging/car rental part is an obstacle. Hostels are something to consider, but since my son is handicapped, we might run into accessibility issues. Even if we don't go anywhere this summer, planning an imaginary trip is fun, too. Thanks again.
But paying for it with imaginary money might be a problem.... :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back