Subway-Style Map of the Amtrak System

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers Mr. Booth.

Excellent map by the way. Although it's a little jarring to get used to it's also something I wished Amtrak had provided long ago. It's helpful to quickly understand where trains intersect. Would it be possible to add train numbers and day/night indications for the long distance trains? Amtrak has a map for this in their national timetable but doesn't seem to differentiate between summer and winter at first glance. Maybe this could be handled by some overlapping indication of some sort? Just some random ideas that popped into my head.

That is interesting-- I never knew that SPG had the ability to park anything more than a shuttle.

It also means that these trains change power in NHV.

A mild criticism of the Subway-style map... do the Regionals really go to Springfield? I was under the impression that for the regionals in NHV there was a corresponding shuttle, but no regional changes power at NHV to proceed to SPG... That would require having to park a regional consist in SPG.
Hi, I'm the designer of the map... very interested to see such a lively discussion of my work here. In regards to this question, I've just checked the Northeast Regional timetable (because you made me paranoid about it, LOL!) and some Regionals definitely seem to travel to/from Springfield:

#141 leaves Springfield at 6:00am M-F and goes to Washington, DC

#143 leaves Springfield at 6:30am Sat-Sun -> Washington, DC

#145 and #147 do similar... and there are Regionals that do the same Northbound as well: #136, #140, #148, #146. Interestingly, all the SB trains ar in the morning and all the NB trains are in the evening, so you may be right about the storage of trains at Springfield.

Cheers,

Cameron
Great map! Do you have poster size maps for sale on-line?

A mild criticism of the Subway-style map... do the Regionals really go to Springfield? I was under the impression that for the regionals in NHV there was a corresponding shuttle, but no regional changes power at NHV to proceed to SPG... That would require having to park a regional consist in SPG.
Hi, I'm the designer of the map... very interested to see such a lively discussion of my work here. In regards to this question, I've just checked the Northeast Regional timetable (because you made me paranoid about it, LOL!) and some Regionals definitely seem to travel to/from Springfield:

#141 leaves Springfield at 6:00am M-F and goes to Washington, DC

#143 leaves Springfield at 6:30am Sat-Sun -> Washington, DC

#145 and #147 do similar... and there are Regionals that do the same Northbound as well: #136, #140, #148, #146. Interestingly, all the SB trains ar in the morning and all the NB trains are in the evening, so you may be right about the storage of trains at Springfield.

Cheers,

Cameron
Cameron, while you are working on it you might think about also including at least the direct Amtrak thruway bus routes. For instance, Houston and Galveston are connected to the Eagle by a thruway bus. The bus stops at the Amtrak station in Houston and boards passengers everyday. It's not Greyhound. I wish we had a train connection, but the bus is it.

jf

@pennyk: I'm working on it right now - just running a few tests with my printer and then definitely! I'll be sure to let you know when they're available.

@daxomni: I did initially toy with putting train numbers on, but the sheer amount of numbers for Acela and the NE Regional made it very unwieldy very quickly. My end result for this was always going to be a large poster that people would frame and hang on their wall, so I had to keep one eye on the aesthetics and not overwhelm the map with too much information.

Which also brings up another point that someone made about using this in timetables and other printed material. This design is only ever going to work at large sizes and on-line: there's just too much small type for it to be shrunk down much smaller and still be legible.

@ henryj: Thruway routes are a definite possibility for addition at a later date. I definitely like the simplicity of just the rail lines (which is why the map clearly states "Amtrak Passenger Rail Services"), but understand that the thruway routes are an important part of the system as well. On the list, along with Canadian VIA routes and interchanges with local metro services in relevant cities. Everyone has ideas... I have a feeling I'm gonna have multiple versions of this map real soon :)

Just to be clear, no matter what future changes are made, the current map is already very useful and certainly visually appealing. So in that sense the mission is already accomplished. I'd enjoy having a large format print myself, but please keep the prices reasonable as most of us would like to save as much money as possible for riding the trains themselves. :cool:

To Cameron Booth: I have to agree with everyone this thing looks awesome. This reminds me of the famous 1972 NYC subway map by Massimo Vignelli. Was that your inspiration?

I doubt you will make too much money selling large prints of this map, but some people like me will be very tempted.

Another artsy thought to really jazz up a version of your map into a design collectable and not just a cool representation:

About 10 years ago the Tate Modern museum in London featured artist Simon Patterson who took the London Underground Map and renamed the stations, line-by-line, with names of actors, politicians, philosophers, historical figures, miscreants and the like.

As one example, you could take the Atlantic Coast route and start out with liberal pols for naming stations in Mass, Conn, NY and Pa and proceed down the line with more conservative types.

Or use actors and writers on the SW Chief route, with John Wayne and Clint Eastwood types through the west, giving way to L Frank Baum in Kansas and Judy Garland in Chicago!

BTW, I've got a poster of the London rendering and it's always a conversation piece at parties! It's called "The Great Bear" by Simon Patterson

here's a website link:

http://www.popartuk.com/art/simon-patterson/the-great-bear-tsa939-art-print.asp

@ henryj: Thruway routes are a definite possibility for addition at a later date. I definitely like the simplicity of just the rail lines (which is why the map clearly states "Amtrak Passenger Rail Services"), but understand that the thruway routes are an important part of the system as well. On the list, along with Canadian VIA routes and interchanges with local metro services in relevant cities. Everyone has ideas... I have a feeling I'm gonna have multiple versions of this map real soon :)
Another artsy thought to really jazz up a version of your map into a design collectable and not just a cool representation:

About 10 years ago the Tate Modern museum in London featured artist Simon Patterson who took the London Underground Map and renamed the stations, line-by-line, with names of actors, politicians, philosophers, historical figures, miscreants and the like.

As one example, you could take the Atlantic Coast route and start out with liberal pols for naming stations in Mass, Conn, NY and Pa and proceed down the line with more conservative types.

Or use actors and writers on the SW Chief route, with John Wayne and Clint Eastwood types through the west, giving way to L Frank Baum in Kansas and Judy Garland in Chicago!

BTW, I've got a poster of the London rendering and it's always a conversation piece at parties! It's called "The Great Bear" by Simon Patterson

here's a website link:

http://www.popartuk.com/art/simon-patterson/the-great-bear-tsa939-art-print.asp

do the Regionals really go to Springfield? I was under the impression that for the regionals in NHV there was a corresponding shuttle, but no regional changes power at NHV to proceed to SPG... That would require having to park a regional consist in SPG.
As stated, some Regionals do in fact go to SPG. But the "shuttles" are really extensions of the Regionals. (If a Regional is 30 minutes late arriving to NHV, the "shuttle" will depart NHV 30 minutes late! And if you notice the train numbers of the shuttles correspond to the "regular" Regional - #95 has the shuttle as #495, etc...!) The shuttles have a loco on one end and a cab control car on the other end. I'm not sure about the run thru Regionals, but there is a wye not far from the SPG station.

Also, notice the schedules:

• NEC #1 is NYP - WAS
  • NEC #2 is BOS/SPG to WAS

To Cameron Booth - I really enjoy your map!
cool.gif

I have to say, as a Brit, and having cut my teeth on the London Underground map, that this new map is great! It is easy to follow for me, and gives a clear indication of where one has to change trains on ones journey. Top Marks!

Ed :cool:

I am pleased to see the artist here. A suggestion for future modifications, inset maps for the major cities where light/commuter rail is available as a connection without leaving the station. It would not have to be the full commuter map, just a line segment that passes through the station.

A suggestion for future modifications, inset maps for the major cities where light/commuter rail is available as a connection without leaving the station. It would not have to be the full commuter map, just a line segment that passes through the station.
I concur with this excellent suggestion. There is a lot of white space, perhaps the inset could include the commuter map as well in some cases. I presume some folks would consider this overkill, but I prefer as much information as will fit in an aesthetically appealing manner. :)

Edited to add: 300th post!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to let everyone here know that 36" x 24" posters of this diagram (with a multitude of small corrections) are now available to purchase at http://www.cambooth.net/for-sale

Limited edition of 75 posters only: $US45 each plus postage. Spread the word!

Regards,

Cameron

For those who haven't heard the news, this poster is now available as a limited edition print (36" wide x 24" deep, 75 prints ONLY) by clicking here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back