Subway pulls out of Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Subway pulls out of Amtrak

Planned four-month trial of food service ends after less than a week

By ERIC ANDERSON, Deputy business editor

First published: Tuesday, November 29, 2005

RENSSELAER -- The trial was to have lasted four months. But Subway food service on Amtrak trains between Rensselaer and New York City was gone in less than a week.

Amtrak officials on Monday confirmed that Subway "has temporarily suspended its participation" in a pilot program that restored food service on trains running exclusively between here and New York City. But a spokesman for the passenger rail company added that "Amtrak is committed to continuing the food service pilot in order to enhance overall customer service."

Amtrak officials wouldn't comment on the reasons for the sudden termination, and Subway officials could not be reached for comment.

The service started Nov. 17 and ended Nov. 23, said Amtrak spokesman Cliff Black.

He declined to say whether Amtrak is seeking another operator to replace Subway. The food service was provided by local franchisees, which he didn't identify.

My Webpage

I'm guessing the problem stemmed from the local franchisee 'getting in over his head' regarding staffing, work load, etc. If this was to be a success, it would have to be a national-level activation by Subway.

It would be interesting to hear from some of the customers that made Subway purchases on the trains. How the food quality was, etc. Subway's premise is, they make it fresh when you order it. That wasn't going to happen on the trains. I wonder what condition the sandwiches were in when sold to the customer. Even some 2-3 hours old wouldn't be as good as a fresh made one. Just my thoughts.

A very reliable Amtrak source (Gene Poon) over at another railroad discussion forum indicated that: "Independent reports, including some from passengers and from Subway representatives who will not be named, say that the reason was unreasonable intimidation of the Subway employees by Amtrak employees, both on and off duty, including mention of risks to the personal safety of both those employees and to passengers. Amtrak's spokesman declined to comment." I am disappointed that Amtrak's unions would stoop this low and encourage their employees to bully the innocent Subway sandwich employees.

Guest said:
Why is this such a surprise?  They bully blind people!
To be fair, the California incident involved the Amtrak conductor, who is part of the operating crew and is in a different union. But having said that, if the union representing the Amtrak food staff thinks they can intimidate and get their old jobs back, I think they are badly mistaken. They just don't "get it" and think Amtrak as they knew it will exist forever. They are mistaken about that also.

Guest said:
Why is this such a surprise? They bully blind people!
Unfortunately the bad incidents that occur on our Amtrak trains get much more publicity than the hard work and dedication to quality customer service that the majority of Amtrak employees exhibit every day. These couple incidents that you have read about in the last few days are not typical of the customer service exhibited on our trains. I admit that I have seen a few "bad apple" employees, but the majority are good, honest and do their best to lighten the mood (during severe service delays and issues out of their control) and bring some humor to the environment on the trains.

jccollins said:
Unfortunately the bad incidents that occur on our Amtrak trains get much more publicity than the hard work and dedication to quality customer service that the majority of Amtrak employees exhibit every day.
Sadly JC, that's typical of our society, not just Amtrak. The bad always makes the news, while the good is lucky if 10 people ever find out about it. :(

I've met many fine Amtrak employees during my travels, and I've now covered more than 50,000 miles on Amtrak. Yes I've met a few bad apples too, but they are in the minority. Most at least do their jobs and many go far beyond what they are required to do.

I'm not "surprised," but this is what happens when ignorant employees goe to far!!!! Hopefully, the Subway employees will identify the employees and they will be terminated!!!

For those who don't know, the Silver Service trains have "fallen apart" during the last 18 months! :(

After 90 was pulled from Miami and the departure times were moved to the am, managenent made radical changes to the work schedules and manpower for "turnarounds"!

Before the changes, each train had it own maintenance and cleaning crew. As employees retired, quit,etc., no effort was made to fill the positions. With the massive manpower needed for the PM line, BRB!!!

So,,,, Now there are 8-9 cleaners, 3-4 carmen and 3-4 electricians and they have to inspect and repair both trains.

The trains are late into the yard and little time is available for maintenance!

Letters from disgruntiled passengers were posted today, after crossing Gunn's desk!

Everything from rude employees, roach infested cars, and deplorable car conditions were noted in the letters. They got an apology and $50-$100 coupons for future trips!!!

Curious to see if management tries to blame the employees for his decisions!!! :ph34r:

I disagree with any amtrak employee who is rude or agressive towards passengers. However, I suspect that the Union views the subway experiment as an attempt to cut Union jobs. For example, If it works on the new York Albany trains, maybe it would be done in the midwest corridor, and then those people lose their jobs. So the Union is suppose to protect jobs, they are doing their jobs, but perhaps to aggressively.

I will be frank when I say that I have never been on an Amtrak train in my life that didn't have a crew member copping an attitude and providing poor service passengers in some form or another (my first trip was in 1983-- going to Vancouver via the StarLate). In fact, Amtrak's shoddy customer service is a running joke in my family, and we expect it when we ride.

There are many "good" apples, no doubt. It's just part of the "Amtrak experience".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back