Subsidy vs. Investment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TWA904

A few weeks ago I sent the following question to my Congressman. As of now he has provided

me no answer. My Congressman is Cliff Stearns.

When a grant is made to Amtrak for "infastructure" it is called a subsidy. When a grant is made to

any other mode of transportation for "infastructure" it is called and investment. Why the difference?

I think it is because Amtrak does not make a profit so the subsidies are needed for any new project in addition to other subsides just to cover operating costs. The investments are becuase those stuff can pay for themselves so they are just being done to make more money.

So basically, the subsides are to improve Amtrak but they are still gonna lose money while the investments are to make more money.

BTW, you are a fan of TWA, huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Swadian, I am a fan of TWA. It's a same they had to be absorded into American. I collect almost anything that

has TWA on it. I've got several boxes of their timetables and a few books. My oldest timetable dates from Nov 1944.

Truly, I think the primary difference is that the subsidy is the operating portion of what Amtrak receives, whereas the investment is the capital portion. Generally, I think people pick one or the other based on their views of Amtrak, depending on how they want to skew things.

But really, an investment is something that one puts money into with the expectation of long term rewards. Such as "investing in infrastructure" or new cars or locomotives. A subsidy is an amount of money that is provided to fund an ongoing expense (such as the operation of passenger trains on an annual basis).

I generally believe that to the extent we can increase the amount we invest in passenger rail (in terms of capital projects), we can reduce the operating subsidy that is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back