Strike

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rosco

I'm hearing a rumor that the CSX is not doing any switching for Amtrak in Miami after the first of July. The word is that local management will do the switching because Amtrak has not hired any switchmen. Union reps say "No way". Could be a strike or a walk out.

Wow your sources are terrible. Amtrak has a whole group of boys already on regular jobs for the switching down there. They've got the 511 as their power, I personally spoke with a Conductor in the yard, they're all set to go. CSX's contract with Amtrak expires on Friday at which point the Amtrak boys will officially take over (they've been doing some work already with the CSX crews training them).

Well.......this is a prime example of how "rumors" run rampant around the railroad. Of course the part about Amtrak performing its own switching operations in MIA is true as bat51 states. That had been talked about for a good while! OBS... :lol: :D

I've been hearing how Amtrak's pulling the Southwest Chief off the Raton line "any day now" since. . . . .

Just an observation; seems railfanning has far, far more than its share of unsubstantiated rumors than any other group I've encountered.

As my dad used to say when he was stationed on Ulithi Atoll during the Greatest War Ever, "The only rumors I believe are the ones I made up myself."

That's very true. I've been privied to some rumors directly from management that have never come to pass. If some of them got out people would flip a lid. Of all the stuff I've heard though, the only rumor that's come to pass was the Palmetto getting pulled back to Savannah. But the original plan was to pull it to JAX, but that was before M&E was cut off.

Here's the "real deal"! :)

CSX is off the job!

The yard jobs were posted a few months ago and not enough people bid on the jobs! ;) There is an Amtrak crew on the site in the morning, but don't know if the other shifts are covered! Word has it that the switch crews are in training until Sept. 1! :huh:

Amtrak started a class on Monday for carmen who "signed up" to become qualified to make moves in the yard with a loco. They still need to get physicals, eye tests, hearing tests and drug tests. :huh: When "qualified", they can remove B/O cars from a consist, but cannot add cars to build a consist or "push" the train to the station. Engineer's contract forbids this!

Since no one is qualified to make "moves" in the yard, Amtrak is sending "loco qualified"management personel to cover the shifts in the yard! :p

Will keep ya posted!

MJ B)

In what way were you "right"? :huh: Yes CSX is off the job, because we didn't renew their contract, the scumbags are gone because they're idiots who can't safely and efficiently switch the damn train. There's no one down there because it takes 8-12 months to fully certify a new engineer. There's no one bidding down there, Management is practically begging guys to bid those jobs. All CSX did was "strike" out.

CSX didn't "strike out"! :huh:

Amtrak has been saying for years that Miami would get a "switcher" and crew! Was told that CSX has been switching for years without a contract and we all know about the poor performance the last few years. :(

I think the derailment/injury a few months ago, got the "ball rolling"! :)

The "road officer" is in the yard in the morning to oversee and assist the crews in building consists and shoving to the station. Seeing DC Stokes in the yard is comforting and " a pleasure"! "Classy dude"!

I'm sure mistakes and delays will occur during the next few months! We're "human" and not perfect!

Wish "mechanical management" could see the employees as "humans" and realize that incidents are going to happen in life and be "fair and compassionate"!

MJ B)

Miami Joe said:
Wish "mechanical management" could see the employees as "humans" and realize that incidents are going to happen in life and be "fair and compassionate"!
MJ
I sometimes feel the same way here regarding OBS managment, too MJ! OBS...

Back