Street running Oakland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKA

OBS Chief
I will be on the CS north bound in late April. [ LAX. - SEA. ] When we get to Oakland will the train run on the street ? If it does will it be before the station or after ? Arival in Oakland is 9:32 PM. if we are on time. No matter, I will still have to keep a lookout, if we are on the street.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going from LAX to SEA, it will be from OKJ (the station) north a few blocks!
cool.gif

It's always funny seeing all the pedestrians on the sidewalks with their fingers in their ears as the horn blasts are almost constant going through there. :D

I apologize for the quality of the video, but here is a video of a Capitol Corridor train on the Embarcadero, approaching OKJ from the north, taken on my recent trip.
Nice! Your video verifies what I was saying about the horn blasts through there (although I didn't see any pedestrians :blush: ).

Something else that should be noted for rail fans passing through there is the rail yard between OKJ and EMY. For a n/b train (like the OP's CS) shortly after re-entering dedicated ROW you will pass through a rail yard with a whole bunch of UP equipment on the left-side of the train and the Oakland Amtrak yard on the right-side. There will typically be a number of the California Amtrak cars/engines/train sets to be seen there and also (for the OP on the CS) the already turned-around CZ being made ready for the next day's run (assuming it isn't many hours late). Being at night though, much of this may be hard to see from anything other than a dimly lit bedroom. ;)

Being at night though, much of this may be hard to see from anything other than a dimly lit bedroom. ;)
Or a dimly lit roomette!
mosking.gif
I almost typed the 'bedroom/roomette' thing but decided not too thinking that what I meant was fairly obvious. Unfortunately, I overlooked the possible 'dimwit'. :wacko:

Thank you Mr traveler for pointing out the obvious. :p

:D

I apologize for the quality of the video, but here is a video of a Capitol Corridor train on the Embarcadero, approaching OKJ from the north, taken on my recent trip.
Aloha

No need to appologize the video is nice. I stayed in the Jack London Inn as shown at the end of the video. Was so nice hearing the horn music all night. I need to break up my hour of video so I can post it.

Nice! Your video verifies what I was saying about the horn blasts through there (although I didn't see any pedestrians :blush: ).

Something else that should be noted for rail fans passing through there is the rail yard between OKJ and EMY. For a n/b train (like the OP's CS) shortly after re-entering dedicated ROW you will pass through a rail yard with a whole bunch of UP equipment on the left-side of the train and the Oakland Amtrak yard on the right-side. There will typically be a number of the California Amtrak cars/engines/train sets to be seen there and also (for the OP on the CS) the already turned-around CZ being made ready for the next day's run (assuming it isn't many hours late). Being at night though, much of this may be hard to see from anything other than a dimly lit bedroom. ;)

Thanks each of you. Nice video. Nicee info. I will be on the lookout for the yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back