Stopping along a route to see things. Suggestions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to take a train and make multiple overnight stops. The idea is that you get off the train; see things and stay overnight; catch the train the next day and move on.

Criteria:

No middle-of-the-night stops. Say 9AM to 8PM only.

Things to see must be within walking distance of hotel or convenient to public transportation to avoid renting a car. Places of interest don't have to be spectacular but there needs to be enough (in a single or multiple places) to keep us from being bored until the next train comes through. Smaller towns with a local museum or two and a walkable downtown would be ideal.

Station must be within walking distance of a decent hotel in a safe area or convenient to public transportation or hotel provides shuttle or short inexpensive taxi ride to hotel.

Since we would likely arrive before normal hotel check-in time or end up leaving after normal check-out, we'd need to leave bags at hotel until departure. Almost any place would allow it but this would preclude going from visiting a point of interest then going directly to train.

Most major cities are destinations i.e. you take the train to go there, not just stop over and move on. I am thinking more of the idea of taking the train out of Atlanta to NOL and stopping along the way or Chicago to anywhere and doing the same.

I've not been to many of the cities in the Midwest if that helps.

Here are a few suggestions to start with:

Reno Nevada

Glenwood Springs and Denver Colorado

Eugene Oregon

Santa Barbara California

Las Vegas New Mexico

St. Louis Missouri

A few suggestions, google them up!

New Orleans

Memphis

Chicago

Charlotsville,VA

Harpers Ferry

Alexandria,VA

Washington DC

Here are a few suggestions to start with:

Reno Nevada

Glenwood Springs and Denver Colorado

Eugene Oregon

Santa Barbara California

Las Vegas New Mexico

St. Louis Missouri
Thanks for the good suggestions.

Reno - We flew to Reno in May, stayed a few days, then took the train to Denver.

Eugene - Good thought. I want to see Portland too.

Santa Barbara - never been there. Good thought.

Las Vegas, NM - we spent 20 years in NM so we have pretty much hit it all.

St. Louis - another good idea although we have twice done the arch, we haven't done much else there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Williamsburg, VA - everything is right there. History, outlets, nice Inns and historic taverns. Colonial Williamsburg is an outstanding history exhibit, and just a great place to walk bout (or ride bikes).

Memphis TN, - did anyone mention Memphis?

New Orleans?

I would say Albuquerque and nearby Santa Fe, but you lived in NM for 20 years, so skip that.

Glacier National Park in Montana.

San Francisco

White Sulfur Springs, WV - check in at the Greenbrier Resort - directly across from the station (very nice).

Whitefish, MT

another vote for Charlotsville,VA, Santa Barbara and East Glacier

Although we didn't get off there, Glenwood Springs, CO looked nice from the train

Not sure I get Charlottesville - Now the surrounding country, just outside of town is amazing (yes, outstanding). But right there in town, what would you really do? I mean, after a 2 hour tour of UVA - what else is in town. And even UVA is not that exciting - if one has no connection to the college.

If you rent a car - yes. Nearby Monticello is amazing, and certainly worth a visit. I would go there every day if I could. We love it there. And it's right next door to Mitchie Tavern (nice), and a cool regional park with a long boardwalk for scenic walking. And also Montpelier, the home of James Madison (and Dolly), is wonderful - I think it is called Montpelier, and it's also a vintage stop on the old Southern mainline (Montpelier Station), which is about 20 miles north of the city. But I think that all of these need a rental car, not sure the original post was for surrounding areas, and getting a car.

But there is a lot to see and do in the Charlottesville area - the nearby Skyline Drive, the Barboursville Ruins and Winery, Veritas Vineyard in Afton, etc... all of these are truly wonderful, but require a rental car.

I don't see Charlottesville (city) as a unique stop - with all that much to do, but more like a lot of other places, a nice small size city, and a great place to live.

Springfield, IL - all within walking distance of the station: Lincoln Presidential Museum, the old train depot, the Old State Capitol Bldg., "new" State Capitol Bldg, Vachel Lindsey's home, Lincoln's Home, Dana-Thomas house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. If you don't mind taking a bus: Lincoln's Tomb & the Rees Carillon in Washington Park.

Sacremento, Cali Railroad Mueseum and Old Town multiple trains

Milwaukee, train station is downtown, 5 blocks to hotels and riverwalk. Miller brewery tours. Do it in summer and catch an ethnic festival.

Saint Paul(&Minneapolis :rolleyes: ) , train gets in at 10PM but plenty to do

Wow! Lots of good ideas. Here's my take:

New Orleans - been there. Done that. Many times from World's Fair to Riverbarge to train to Katrina Red Cross volunteer.

Memphis - been there done that 2X

Chicago - Destination city, not a one-night stopover. Multiple times.

Charlotsville,VA - Did it by car.

Harpers Ferry - Possibility

Alexandria,VA - Been there multiple times

Washington DC - Destination city - many times.

Glacier National Park in Montana (incl Whitefish) - We planned that one for past summer. Did Reno instead. Probably needs a couple of days and a car.

San Francisco - Destination City. Been there multiple times.

White Sulfur Springs, WV - check in at the Greenbrier Resort - directly across from the station (very nice). - Great idea but it is easier to drive there (we live in NC) for us.

Glenwood Springs, CO - we planned to do that last summer but other things took priority when we did Reno to Denver. Good thought.

Springfield, IL - Last time we did that by RV, Abe was running for office so that is a great suggestion. Good trip if we decide to fly to Chicago and take trips out of CHI.

Sacramento - been there multiple times on business but never saw anything. Great idea as a destination with Glenwood Springs as a stopover or as trip out of Portland.

Milwaukee - She's from there so we know it well - been to Italian Festival there.

Saint Paul & Minneapolis - That was part of original summer trip along with Glacier and Portland before we got sidetracked to Reno & Rapid City.

So far some great ideas. anybody familiar with good overnight trips out of Chicago? Like, say, 2 nights in Minneapolis and one in Springfield and ??? Any of those other places in Illinois and Iowa meet my criteria?

Galesburg, ILL is an interesting town, google it up! Sprinfield and St. Louis both make for interesting layovers that meet your criteria! I personally Like Kansas City also but thats more of a destination but can be done as an overnight! ;) Jim

If you want to do an overnight on the train itself, consider going to Erie on the LSL. Presque Isle State Park is close. There is a maritime museum and a zoo. It's been a while since I've been there, but at one time they had tours of a couple of the old victorian style mansions.

I just heard from a friend in Malta, Montana. She tells me that in Malta, there is The Great Northern Hotel, which also has a good restaurant, within walking distance of the Amtrak station. Across the street from the station is a museum. There are other hotels within walking distance, but the "GN" is the closest. The train arrives around 2 p.m. IIRC.

The locals can tell you about locations of dinoseur find, but I doubt that those are within walking distance.

More thanks. More comments:

Malta, Montana - sounds like a perfect combination.

OKJ & WGL - I'll check out Oakland. Glacier park was already mentioned. Thanks

Erie - good idea but we've been there. We love minor league baseball and saw the Seawolves on our 25th anniversary (many years ago).

Galesburg, ILL - sounds like a great combination with Springfield and Minneapolis. Would be nice to have multiple places along one line though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back