Stopovers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lteak

Train Attendant
I'd like to book passage from Albuquerque to Seattle. The train goes to Los Angeles and then up the coast. I would like to know if can get off the train in Simi and catch the next train north. Is there an additional charge? If this is allowed, what is the time frame for resuming the trip? Where can I find this information in the website?:

I'd like to book passage from Albuquerque to Seattle. The train goes to Los Angeles and then up the coast. I would like to know if can get off the train in Simi and catch the next train north. Is there an additional charge? If this is allowed, what is the time frame for resuming the trip? Where can I find this information in the website?:
Through Amtrak reservations do not permit stopovers. If you wish to stop at Simi Valley en route from Albuquerque to Seattle you have to book two trips: one from Albuquerque to Simi, then the second from Simi to Seattle.

That is definitely possible. Just know that the LA-Seattle train only runs once a day. Getting off the Southwest Chief in LA at 8:15, you could catch a Pacific Surfliner at 9:05 for Simi Valley, on a 1 hour-4 minute trip. You would have to wait in Simi Valley 25 hours before boarding the Coast Starlight for Seattle.

Generally, stops of under 24 hours are treated as connections with no additional charge. Try a multi-city trip, booking ABQ-LAX-Simi Valley-SEA as three separate legs. Pick the right trains so that you have under 24 hours at each stop, and take advantage of the loophole that the Surfliner trains are unreserved, meaning you can use a later ticket for an earlier train that day.

If there's a ABQ-SEA through fare available that is cheaper than the 2 legs separately, this trick should get you the through fare. Then you have to worry about fare buckets...

As implied above, ABQ-SEA is two trains with a transfer at LA.

Good luck!

Would this be a paid trip, or an AGR award trip?
huh.gif
If it is an AGR award trip, NO stopovers are allowed! You would have to book 2 separate awards!

This would be a paid trip. BTW: Why can one book a trip from Albuquerque to Seattle and ride two trains but a return trip entails a couple trains and a couple bus rides?

huh.gif
If it is an AGR award trip, NO stopovers are allowed! You would have to book 2 separate awards!

When I changed our AGR reservation last week to stop in Seattle instead of Vancouver(didn't want to go at nite and miss the scenery), I then asked for AGR tickets on the cascades to vancouver the next am.

The agent said no need to use another award, and booked it as part of the original award since it was less than 24hrs.

This would be a paid trip. BTW: Why can one book a trip from Albuquerque to Seattle and ride two trains but a return trip entails a couple trains and a couple bus rides?
Because the Coast Starlite #11 would require an overnite stay in LAX to catch the ABQ connection. Coast Starlite - San Joquin - bus doesnt!

Fares are based on segments. A segment is generally described as anytime you get off the train then back on a different train whether it is the same train number (same route, different day) or a different train number (a required change, ie: going through Chicago).

If I were to book a reservation from San Diego to Seattle, it would most likely be the same price if I booked two separate reservations - one from San Diego to LA and another one from LA to Seattle. However, if I were to book from LA to Seattle, it would be cheaper than booking LA to Portland and another reservation from Portland to Seattle.

There are always exceptions, but those are the general rules. This is further recognized by the fact that they offer a segment-based rail pass.

I hate to disagree with johnny, but when you book a reservation, you book each segment for a date and train number. If you choose to get off during that ride, there is no obligation for Amtrak to carry you the rest of the way that is not covered by your ticket. Most trains are "reserved". Who is to say that if you were on Saturday's Coast Starlight and got off somewhere along the route that Sunday's train isn't sold out?

There are ways to manipulate the system through creative use of connections to get time to spend at major terminals, but it is almost impossible to get off/on priviledges for a single segment fare.

Some short distance routes, like the Pacific Surfliner - but NOT long distance routes like the Coast Starlight - offer monthly passes, but it is unclear if they are even permitted for on/off priviledges anywhere enroute or if they are restricted to the endpoints.

Finally, as I eluded to above, there is the USA Rail Pass which allows limited off/on priviledges constrained by segment limits. And California has their own rail pass which offers 7 days for $159 but only within California (any point beyond CA is a full segment charge). Texas Eagle, Sunset Limited, California Zephyr and Southwest Chief don't participate.

Last edited by a moderator:
huh.gif

When I changed our AGR reservation last week to stop in Seattle instead of Vancouver(didn't want to go at nite and miss the scenery), I then asked for AGR tickets on the cascades to vancouver the next am.

The agent said no need to use another award, and booked it as part of the original award since it was less than 24hrs.
With AGR (at least outside of the Northeast Corridor), there aren't rules as much as probabilities.

Fares are based on segments. A segment is generally described as anytime you get off the train then back on a different train whether it is the same train number (same route, different day) or a different train number (a required change, ie: going through Chicago).

If I were to book a reservation from San Diego to Seattle, it would most likely be the same price if I booked two separate reservations - one from San Diego to LA and another one from LA to Seattle. However, if I were to book from LA to Seattle, it would be cheaper than booking LA to Portland and another reservation from Portland to Seattle.

There are always exceptions, but those are the general rules. This is further recognized by the fact that they offer a segment-based rail pass.
I hate to disagree with you, but if I book BOS-PVD on one Regional and then PVD-KIN on the next Regional, both "segments" are $8 for a total of $16. If I book BOS-KIN on one Regional, it's also $16!
rolleyes.gif

I usually book two segments (as in the 1st example) to earn additional AGR points! (100 per segment!)
laugh.gif
And the conductor takes both tickets, and I have yet to be kicked off!
ph34r.gif

And, thus the caveat placed in the last sentence "There are always exceptions". I'm sure you'll see more exceptions on shorter routes than the designated Long Distance routes. ;)

I'm ALL for getting the points when I can. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back