Steam train near Chicago 5/6/24?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was running lunchtime errands in downtown Deerfield (IL) at 1:35pm when I heard what sounded like a steam train with chugging and a steam whistle! I was less than a block from the tracks but there were buildings and trees in the way so I saw little, but I'd swear I saw some steam or smoke. The train was definitely southbound.

So is/was there a steam train running on the Metra Milwaukee North (Canadian Pacific/ex-Milwaukee Road) commuter line today?

Here it was southbound at Grange Ave, Milwaukee, an hour before you (almost) saw it.

Perfect for the lunch hour. Great weather.

WisARP notified their members last week about the event, and is asking their members to contribute their photos to the organization's shared webpage.

Attachments

• 20240506-CPKC.jpg
    20240506-CPKC.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Interesting. Texas route for it shows it going East and avoiding San Antonio 😕.

Wonder if the flooding might make them detour west and we'd be able to see it passing

Interesting. Texas route for it shows it going East and avoiding San Antonio 😕.

Wonder if the flooding might make them detour west and we'd be able to see it passing
That's probably because it's a CPKC operation, and it's following the CPKC route, which doesn't go through San Antonio. The route used by the Texas Eagle and the San Antonio - Laredo route is all UP.

It should pass through Victoria. Gas up your car. And take the day off work.
No car unfortunately. Can't drive due to disability.

Wish we could. If it were using UP lines from Houston, we could sit at the park near my house and watch it, as we did with Big Boy when it left San Antonio

The engine certainly runs a very clean stack. Can you imagine those persons who know steam locos but has not heard of the tour how startled they would be seeing the train and its higher pitch whistle.?

Back