Staying in sleeper a few stops beyond ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rider

OK - I'm booked on the LSL from Chicago to Toledo in sleeper as a rewards trip, then onward from Toledo to Boston in coach.

What are the chances of being allowed to remain in the sleeper from Toledo to, say, Cleveland, or Erie? (Of course that's if no one else has it booked).

I can't see any upside to Amtrak or their staff to letting you stay in the sleeper. A previous post asked about getting into a booked sleeper a couple of stops early--again, as you say, assuming no one else has it booked. Getting in earlier (like at a hotel)seems like an easier ask as long as the room is ready and no 'extra' mealtimes are involved. So my guess is one would not be allowed to stay in the room a few stops beyond one's ticket, but nothing stops one from asking! Enjoy.

OK - I'm booked on the LSL from Chicago to Toledo in sleeper as a rewards trip, then onward from Toledo to Boston in coach.

What are the chances of being allowed to remain in the sleeper from Toledo to, say, Cleveland, or Erie? (Of course that's if no one else has it booked).

In the past two years I have had the same situation. [ TOL - CLE ] It was a no go. May be a new or different conductor , or a policy change. Prior to the last two years I was never turned down. The last two trips I did not even try.

I wish AGR would figure out some kind of pro-rate points deal to slove this problem. May be add 100 or so additional points to book that extra 120 miles. Spending another 15000 points for a whole zone is to much for me. Its less expensive to just pay the fare

This was on the CL and I know that the room was not needed, per the SCA. The SCA was willing but not the conductor

Last edited by a moderator:
When I did the Columbus Loophole last Summer where the Empire Builder Sleeper portion ends just north of Milwaukee and a regular Coach ticket takes over, Stephanie the SCA told me to remain right where I was without me even having to inquire. She lifted my Coach ticket and took it up to the Conductor to save me having to chase him down. I'm certain she is familiar with the Loophole and I understand from other posters who have taken this route this is common practice, especially considering it is highly unlikely anyone would book Sleeper from there on into Chicago.

I would imagine that your room is already booked from TOL to some other point. It could be BOS, NYP, or ALB depending on what sleeper your in. But my guess is that your room is already off the "market" from TOL onward. I'd say just stick it out in coach. But when in CHI use the Metropolitan Lounge. It's for Sleeper passengers only! They have a place to store bags and it's guarded. Just show your Sleeper ticket and you'll gain access.

When I did the Columbus Loophole last Summer where the Empire Builder Sleeper portion ends just north of Milwaukee and a regular Coach ticket takes over, Stephanie the SCA told me to remain right where I was without me even having to inquire. She lifted my Coach ticket and took it up to the Conductor to save me having to chase him down. I'm certain she is familiar with the Loophole and I understand from other posters who have taken this route this is common practice, especially considering it is highly unlikely anyone would book Sleeper from there on into Chicago.
Could you please elaborate on that loophole, as I was looking at the zone map and the way I read it MKE and CHI are in the same zone.

A few years ago i was booked on The Crescent from New Orleans to Washington in a sleeper and coach the rest of the way to New York. I was allowed to stay in the room through New York,but of course, the train only drops off passengers after DC. Earlier this month I had a Guest Rewards trip from Toledo to Los Angeles,but I boarded in Buffalo at Midnight. We didn't hit Toledo until 5:30. I wasn't going to pay for a sleeper for that short time. I did ask if I could board in Cleveland, but no dice. I would imagine the sleepers were full the entire trip.

Getting into Toledo at 1AM or so and getting up to return to coach is tough. It's much easier the other way from coach to sleeper, but such are the limitations with the zoned AGR's,and considering it costs 15,000 more points for a three zone trip.

Could you please elaborate on that loophole, as I was looking at the zone map and the way I read it MKE and CHI are in the same zone.
That (and other) loophole is closed!
sad.gif

It was from Kirkwood, MO or Kansas City (and other Cities) in the Central zone to Columbus, WI (CBS) (also in the Central zone - for a 1 zone award! However because you would have had to stay overnight (on your dime) in either St Louis or Chicago, Amtrak routed you via KC, LA and Portland to CBS (which are all same day connections) - all for a 1 zone award!
tongue.gif
Then you would just have to buy a coach ticket from CBS to Chicago!

sad.gif
Slidell will never be the same :lol: :lol: :lol:

sad.gif

It was from Kirkwood, MO or Kansas City (and other Cities) in the Central zone to Columbus, WI (CBS) (also in the Central zone - for a 1 zone award! However because you would have had to stay overnight (on your dime) in either St Louis or Chicago, Amtrak routed you via KC, LA and Portland to CBS (which are all same day connections) - all for a 1 zone award!
tongue.gif
Then you would just have to buy a coach ticket from CBS to Chicago!
Actually the Loophole is still there but is now a 3 Zone redemption-still worth the Points as it gives 6 days and 5 nights of good train time.

Actually the Loophole is still there but is now a 3 Zone redemption-still worth the Points as it gives 6 days and 5 nights of good train time.
If you're talking about KWD-CBS, it is only 2 zones!
cool.gif
(Only the Midwest and Western zones!
smile.gif
)
I actually got tagged for a 3 Zone last Summer since I traveled in 3 "different" Zones, but if it cut back to a 2 Zone since I'll be 33% happier :) Of course many of my friends, especially those who cannot appreciate the value of rail travel think I'm absolute nuts for taking 6 days to get to Chicago and I tell them they are right-I don't need them discovering the fun of Amtrak travel and tying up my Low Bucket fares :lol:

I have stayed in my room beyond my stop before.

In the old days, when SAC was the only connection point between the CS and CZ, I bought a RT coach ticket from SAC to EMY on both the CS and CZ. On the CS, with the agreement of the SCA, the Conductor and the LSA in the Dining Car, I was allowed to stay in my room - with the stipulation that I pay for breakfast (since they begin serving after SAC). On the CZ, I was allowed to board my roomette early.

Since we also board and detrain at CLE, we have found similar circumstances re: TOL to CLE sleeper to coach AGR. Sometimes our sleeper car attendant is sleeping at TOL and a new conductor is less likely to let you stay in the room. Also we have found that so many people board at TOL that our room is usually sold out. Yes, its a cold walk from sleeper to coach at midnight :( but better than spending a few thousand extra points for a short two-hour ride to CLE. :)

On the westbound ride, also never allowed to move to sleeper at CLE. On that one we usually get a low level seat on the CL, which makes for an easier transition at TOL to sleeper. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back