Status Map occasional bug

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anir dendroica

OBS Chief
I've been getting this error on and off with JB's status maps over the last few days, both on the map pages and the train status pages. Happens both on my phone and my computer, and is sometimes fixed by a refresh. Anyone else having trouble?

I still much prefer JB's map to the Amtrak one. Much faster to load and shows relevant information on mouseover with convenient train status listing. The GPS version only becomes more useful when a train is less than one station away.

500: Internal server error

This error is generated when a script running on the server could not be implemented or permissions are incorrectly assigned for files or directories

Troubleshooting suggestions:

Temporarily disable any rewrite rules by renaming your .htaccess file if it exists.

Ensure that any CGI or Perl scripts have at least .755. permissions.

If trying to run PHP and you get this error, you may have an invalid php.ini in your /cgi-bin, or may be missing your php.dat file in this folder.

I've been getting this error on and off with JB's status maps over the last few days, both on the map pages and the train status pages. Happens both on my phone and my computer, and is sometimes fixed by a refresh. Anyone else having trouble?

I still much prefer JB's map to the Amtrak one. Much faster to load and shows relevant information on mouseover with convenient train status listing. The GPS version only becomes more useful when a train is less than one station away.

This error is generated when a script running on the server could not be implemented or permissions are incorrectly assigned for files or directories

Troubleshooting suggestions:

Temporarily disable any rewrite rules by renaming your .htaccess file if it exists.

Ensure that any CGI or Perl scripts have at least .755. permissions.

If trying to run PHP and you get this error, you may have an invalid php.ini in your /cgi-bin, or may be missing your php.dat file in this folder.
This has nothing to do with any of the server errors that I recently commented on.

I've noticed these errors, too. They come from the commercial server where the maps are displayed. I'll switch to the other server tomorrow.

jb

I'm just going to throw this idea out there, would there potentially be an option out there for you to partner with the new owners of this site to host John? I know Anthony has stepped away and it seems like the owners wanted to bring enhancements. With as many hits as the status maps get that could be a match made in heaven...

I'm just going to throw this idea out there, would there potentially be an option out there for you to partner with the new owners of this site to host John? I know Anthony has stepped away and it seems like the owners wanted to bring enhancements. With as many hits as the status maps get that could be a match made in heaven...
There's always the potential. It all depends on what the new owners would like to accomplish.

jb

The switch-over has taken place ( 3 p.m. EST 12/22/2013). There shouldn't be any more of those errors. If there are, please post about it.

Thanks,

jb
John: After I get the Map and Click on the Region (Any) I am getting the 500 Internal Server Error Message Constantly??????(I am using the Latest Version of Firefox)

Edit: NOw it's Working John, don't have a Clue why it Started Working Suddenly! And thanks jeb, you can tell I'm Computer Challenged!

Last edited by a moderator:
The switch-over has taken place ( 3 p.m. EST 12/22/2013). There shouldn't be any more of those errors. If there are, please post about it.

Thanks,

jb
John: After I get the Map and Click on the Region (Any) I am getting the 500 Internal Server Error Message Constantly??????(I am using the Latest Version of Firefox)
Try holding down Ctrl while hitting F5 (while on the page.) It might be trying to reach the old server/cached side, and sometimes Ctrl + F5 will fix it. (I had that issue with another website once.)

Things seem to have cleared up now at the original web host. We're now in the process of switching back to it. So if anybody sees any errors like the OP referred to, please post here to let me know.

Thanks,

jb

Still happening as of 8:21am eastern time 01/02/14

Yes, I noticed it again this morning. I'll have to look into again tonight. In the meantime, if this error is encountered, hitting F5 (the refresh key) should enable you to get past it.

jb

Yes, I noticed it again this morning. I'll have to look into again tonight. In the meantime, if this error is encountered, hitting F5 (the refresh key) should enable you to get past it.

jb
Called the service desk. A general "500" error like that has mostly to do with the reliability of their server. There's nothing wrong with my files, per se. So their engineering team is going to take a look at it and get back to me.

One thing that might help is if y'all can indicate how often you see the error. Let's do this "scientifically". If you see the 500 error on Friday, January 3, please post something here. Please don't post for errors on other days. I'm trying to get a feel for how often it happens in a specific 24 hour period.

Thanks,

jb

Bug observed.

1/3/2014 5:54 a.m. solari_relay.pl (this comes from the url)

1/3/2014 3:09 p.m. AT_Alert_Relay.pl

1/3/2014 4:17 p.m. getmap.pl

1/3/2014 4:30 p.m. solari_relay.pl

1/3/2014 8:22 p.m. getmap.pl x 3

1/3/2014 8:32 p.m. solari_relay.pl

jb

Been seeing it pop up a few times today checking on trains in the NE. When I reload, the page loads normally.

Just got and error at 8:43am 01/04/14:

Checking #30 CL

Thanks to those who reported errors. We had over 10,000 map viewings yesterday (a record, I think) with only a handful of errors reported. I know the errors are annoying, but it's easy to work around them (by refreshing the screen).

The web hosting company is supposedly working on it and they are supposed to report back what they find. I'll post their findings when they give them to me. In the meantime, you don't need to report the errors.

jb

John, I know you said we didn't need to report bugs any more but it seems to be worse today. I have been able to get the eastern map to load at all, even after refreshing numerous times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back