Station Safety

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with jimhudson about the restrooms at NYP. Can't something be done to improve this situaton? Some new bathrooms, perhaps?
Actually the restrooms in NYP were just rebuilt within the last year.

This is not to suggest that you still can't find someone taking a shower in the sink.
I assume that the restroom issues relate to the "public" restrooms, not the ones in the Acela Lounge. The few times I was in the Lounge in NYP, I found the restrooms perfectly fine (and I am very picky).

I've done a fair amount of Amtrak travel over the past 3 years & have enjoyed it. My last trip was the only time I felt as if I were in an unsafe enviorment. I always try to stay alert in my surroundings but this was a very uneasy experience! What stations have you felt unsafe???
What city are you talking about? My apologies if I have missed it somewhere.

The "Big Three" for Feeling Unsafe:

1A) The Bathrooms in NYP!!! :help:

1)Beaumont Slab in the Rain and Dark! :rolleyes: (Being replaced by a Million Dolar Amshak)

2)Sanderson's "Ghost" Station :eek: (Flag Stop)

3)Kansas City Union Station-(Closed up @ Midnight and put outside in the Rain and Cold by a "Security" Guard to wait for a Bus to Oklahoma that never Came!) :angry:

Honorable Mention: The Old Sunset Station in SAS when the area around the Station was Scary @ Night!) :unsure:
OK, this topic makes me nervous. This is one BIG concern I have, travelling with my kid. Luckily, our destinations are "big" ones (Chicago, New York, etc)., I worry about arriving and being booted out onto the streets!! Glad someone asked this, and we will avoid the bathrooms at NYP :)

I am not too concerned about regular "Be careful in the big city", but more about being left somewhere...
Shouldnt have any worries if you are going to "Major City" Stations! And as pennyk pointed out, if youre in sleepers you can use the Club Acela and Metro Lounge bathrooms which are clean, safe and convienent! Just dont ask for a Flag Stop in the middle of the desert (ie Sanderson etc.) or do anything to be put off in the middle of nowhere! :rolleyes: (ie smoking on the Train/pot/cursing out an Employee etc. :eek: ) Seriously, youll be fine! Any staffed station is usually fine, if in doubt ask the agent or even the staff on your Train before you deboard!

Last edited by a moderator:
How safe is the station and surrounding area around the Emeryville station? I will be taking the CS from LAX and arriving there around 10pm. I am stayinf at the Hilton Garden Inn and would like to walk that short distance (it looks doable on google maps). I know that motel offers a free shuttle but just until 10:30pm. I am just concerned if the train is running late. Thanks
Emeryville is safe you shouldn't have any worries. The walk to the Hilton Garden Inn is very doable from the station and safe I've done it many times in the past without issue.

Agree with jimhudson about the restrooms at NYP. Can't something be done to improve this situaton? Some new bathrooms, perhaps?
Actually the restrooms in NYP were just rebuilt within the last year.

This is not to suggest that you still can't find someone taking a shower in the sink.
I assume that the restroom issues relate to the "public" restrooms, not the ones in the Acela Lounge. The few times I was in the Lounge in NYP, I found the restrooms perfectly fine (and I am very picky).
Correct.

How safe is the station and surrounding area around the Emeryville station? I will be taking the CS from LAX and arriving there around 10pm. I am stayinf at the Hilton Garden Inn and would like to walk that short distance (it looks doable on google maps). I know that motel offers a free shuttle but just until 10:30pm. I am just concerned if the train is running late. Thanks
Emeryville is safe you shouldn't have any worries. The walk to the Hilton Garden Inn is very doable from the station and safe I've done it many times in the past without issue.

Thanks, it is nice to know what experience people have had and what to expect for a person having never been there

Thanks, it is nice to know what experience people have had and what to expect for a person having never been there
I was in EMY last year for about 9 hours & took the cross walk, over the tracks, to the mall. It has an International Food Court ( dont get the Philly Cheeze Steaks) ,Gym, Shops, Theatre (which I took advantage of) & Hotel. I wouldnt have the slightest problem staying there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back