STATION REFUSED TO CHECK LUGGAGE

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure this isn't a breach of contract on Amtrak's part. The OP paid to board at a checked-baggage station and got flatly told that they couldn't use the checked-baggage system. Fortunately, the conductors/attendants didn't refuse to allow the checked baggage on to the train when the online system always says that at non-checked-baggage stations that only carryon is allowed.It sounds like the OP did everything right, and Amtrak did everything wrong in this case much as I love Amtrak.
You need to read MORE than the OP. The whole thread clarifies a lot of backstory from all sides of the issue. The OP seems to have left a lot of hard facts out in the name of heart-string pulling. Or she was ignorant of the facts which is excusable since pax don't always know everything that goes on with Amtrak.

I keep trying to find a word I would use for something that was a really terrible experience, that left me in pain, and was something I would never forget because of how miserable it was. Can any of you supply a word for that? What ever it is, I think that's what she meant.
I find it interesting that the OP hasn't come back to clarify the situation at all - nowhere does she indicate that she let the agent that made the "no checked bags" announcement know that she was going to have difficulty reaching the platform. If she took the announcement for what it was, and did nothing to seek help, then obviously this is a case of overblown whining. If she sought help from the agent and was rebuffed, that could certainly change things, but I'm inclined to not fly off the handle and crucify Amtrak based on one side of the story missing several key facts. I'd like to say that I'm surprised that there are people willing to condemn Amtrak for the event with absolutely no way of knowing any more than was posted here, but that just seems to be how some people roll.
IMHO the OP came here to rant, then leave. If she comes back I'm more than willing to offer her support and advice. But based on her post's content and style... something tells me she won't be back for awhile.
Yes, she probably did come here to let off steam. There are a lot of people lurking here who will post once in awhile, but are too timid to join in on a regular basis. I know I would have been timid if my first post had gotten raked through the coals.

By toning down on the overblown ranting and toning up more actual facts, I'm sure that the OP could have avoided being raked over the coals.

Now don't get me wrong, sometimes all folks want is to rant and run, but such rants shouldn't be used to condemn Amtrak as 100% guilty in this case, excluding context helpfully provided by other posters.

...but such rants shouldn't be used to condemn Amtrak as 100% guilty in this case...
Why not? Amtrak did not provide a service that they said the would. It sounds pretty cut and dry to me. How would this be in any way Ruth's fault? Just because Amtrak can't keep their act for whatever reason is no reason to not blame them.

So, sometime between 10:00 AM and 1:30 PM EDT the system was down. It is entirely plausible that the system outage affected passenger boardings at both Meridian and Tuscaloosa. If you were to add those two stations together with the people in Birmingham that needed tickets, that's a lot of printing and it's easy to get overwhelmed. (This is what happens now that Amtrak charges a fairly hefty fee to have your tickets mailed to you; a lot of people aren't going to show up at the station with tickets in hand.) I could see the agent having time to deal with some but not all of the bags. Because of that, I could understand not collecting any of the bags instead of creating a rift between passengers who got special treatment and those who did not.
Why is it that all of the tickets have to get printed out by the time the train reaches the first staffed station it reaches after the computer system comes back, and why is this so important that it justifies suspending checked baggage service? Why couldn't most of the tickets be picked up at the second or third station that's reached after the computer system is running again, which would provide those agents with plenty of time to print the tickets before the last minute checked baggage arrives at those stations?

Also, why does the ticket agent at the station have to do any significant amount of manual work at all? Why can't Amtrak find some way for a supervisor in a call center to enter a group of reservations into the computer so that the ticket agent in the relevant station can simply spend a minute telling the computer to print out all the tickets in that group, and then help passengers with checked baggage while waiting for the printer to work its magic?

Read my first post in the thread. Did Ruth even ask for help and was she refused it? Is there a reasonable explanation that the baggage service wasn't available (it certainly sounds like it, based on the info provided by other posters)?

Sometimes, bad things happen and it's nobody's fault.

Read my first post in the thread. Did Ruth even ask for help and was she refused it? Is there a reasonable explanation that the baggage service wasn't available (it certainly sounds like it, based on the info provided by other posters)?
So after being told by the station agent that she was responsible for her own bags then she is supposed to go ask again?
Even if there is a reasonable explanation why baggage service was not available that doesn't make it nobody's fault. Just because the system was down doesn't make it nobody's fault. Amtrak's computer system is their responsibility and when it fails all the crap that it causes is their fault.

So after being told by the station agent that she was responsible for her own bags then she is supposed to go ask again?
From her story, it sounds like there was just a general announcement made. Nowhere does Ruth state that she went to the agent and said "I'm going to have trouble getting these up the stairs, is there anyway that I can get some help?"
Even if there is a reasonable explanation why baggage service was not available that doesn't make it nobody's fault. Just because the system was down doesn't make it nobody's fault. Amtrak's computer system is their responsibility and when it fails all the crap that it causes is their fault.
You're absolutely wrong. Like I said, sometimes unforeseen events happen. You're holding Amtrak to an impossibly high standard, and without more information it's impossible to reasonably say if they made adequate preparations.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're absolutely wrong. Like I said, sometimes unforeseen events happen. You're holding Amtrak to an impossibly high standard, and without more information it's impossible to reasonably say if they made adequate preparations.
If people want to keep excusing Amtrak for sucking at operating their business then they will never get into the 21st century. Airlines have stable enough systems with enough redundancy that they can do things like e-check-in. Amtrak's system fails and hours later they can't even do something basic like checking bags. I don't think it is too much to ask.

Excuse me, but who are we to judge what is or is not trauma to another! If what happened to Ruth had happened to me I would have all to do to make the stairs, if I in fact made them at all; and I'm not even talking about trying to get luggage up with me!
I'm pretty sure I would have also been in tears and popping my pain and anxiety medication. The same goes for getting onto the train if from ground level and into my H room. So yes, I would have considered my experience as traumatic too!

On the other hand I probably wouldn't have felt insulted over only being given an apology and $25 certificate! I'd just be thankful that I was at least given some consideration for my TRAUMA!

Let's try giving the benefit of the doubt and show a little compassion and not ass-u-me what we have no real understanding or knowledge about!

Ruth, you have my compassion but keep the voucher and enjoy your hopefully traumaless next trip! :)
It amazes me how some people have such a limited view of things. Now I'm not going to belabor what I've stated above, but because some "just did not a get part of it," I'm going focus on the one issue of what is and is not trauma!

Trauma like many words in the English language has multiple meanings and a wide range of how the words have different levels of intensity. According to TheFreeDictionary.com trauma is defined as follows:

trau·ma (trô
prime.gif
m
schwa.gif
, trou
prime.gif
-) n.

1. A serious injury or shock to the body, as from violence or an accident.

2. An emotional wound or shock that creates substantial, lasting damage to the psychological development of a person, often leading to neurosis.

3. An event or situation that causes great distress and disruption.

So at least item #3 in my opinion might certainly qualify to be used in what Ruth expressed if in fact it affected her as the definition describes and it would have most certainly been appropriate for me to use it if I experienced what she described. More importantly, why are some people so callous as to criticize her for using the term when they don't even know from her perspective what she actually experienced, if it were me what I experience or if it were you what you've experienced?

As I stated in the front end of this posting, I'm not going to belabor this since it's rare that one can broaden the view of others by mere words alone. Sometimes you just gotta be on the short end of the stick to understand!

Anyway, I stand by what I originally stated in my posting quoted above about the use of the word "trauma!"

From the Oxford New American Dictionary:

histrionic |ˌhistrēˈänik|

adjective

overly theatrical or melodramatic in character or style : a histrionic outburst.

• formal of or concerning actors or acting : histrionic talents.

• Psychiatry denoting a personality disorder marked by shallow, volatile emotions, and attention-seeking behavior.

noun

1 ( histrionics) exaggerated dramatic behavior designed to attract attention : discussions around the issue have been based as much in histrionics as in history.

• dramatic performance; theater.

2 archaic an actor.

DERIVATIVES

histrionically |-ik(ə)lē| |ˈhɪstriˈɑnək(ə)li| adverb

ORIGIN mid 17th cent. (in the sense [dramatically exaggerated, hypocritical] ): from late Latin histrionicus, from Latin histrio(n-) ‘actor.’

...but such rants shouldn't be used to condemn Amtrak as 100% guilty in this case...
Why not? Amtrak did not provide a service that they said the would. It sounds pretty cut and dry to me. How would this be in any way Ruth's fault? Just because Amtrak can't keep their act for whatever reason is no reason to not blame them.
Amtrak performed the intended service of getting the OP from point A to point B. The OP was inconvenienced by the checked baggage service not being available but she did board the train and get to where she was going. As for trauma, I don't think it is or at best the OP failed to give sufficient facts to make that type of determination. She also doesn't say whether she talked to the agent or explained her issues. Did she talk to the agent and the agent tell her to "bugger off" (using the nice British version of the not so nice New York term) and lug the bags herself? We don't know.

As it stands I don't think the conduct of Amtrak arises to a level that would constitute trauma. Inconvenience, absolutly but not trauma.

Fire away because I totally agree. The TT lists checked baggage as an available service. Just one look at the dismal station makes a grown man almost cry. But let's look at the facts; there are three people and a one man extra board in place to provide services. If Amtrak can't accommodate just one train a day with these people and services in place what's to come if we get more trains at the same station? Irregardless of how the pax presented her case we were able to establish that Amtrak dropped the ball~ is there anything new or unusual about this? She came here to vent because we are a Forum. I think she did an excellent job of telling us how lousy a job Amtrak did. My only hope would be that Amtrak would pick up on this and race to Birmingham and fix the elevator and the give the agent a refresher course in how to handle pax properly. Just my pipe dream of the week. Now just where is that suit of scorched armor?

I could be all wrong here, and I am ready to stand corrected if need be,but I think two or three years ago BIrmingham became a one employee station. One poor guy has to sell tickets and check baggage both.So far as I have noticed both jobs have always gotten done, somehow or another. But obviously not this time, which angers me also.
A perfect response to the "union will not permit it" nonsense posted earlier. AMTRAK short-staffs a station, leaving customers and Union employees are being chastised for NOT helping out. Please.
It's not nonsense.

I won't claim to be a union expert, but I was in one for a short while.

Do I agree with it? No. I think the real need for unions disappeared many decades ago. Today, they're just giant political machines that exist to feed their own power-hungry natures. There's too much of a "screw The Man" attitude in unions that hurts more than helps. (Yes, they do protect employees from management that is overzealous to blame and discipline employees, but unfortunately they don't seem capable of performing this job without becoming a monster in and of themselves.)

But even though I'd probably vote for right-to-work laws if they came up on my state election ballot, we have to live with the reality that they exist. So to call it nonsense is just sticking your head in the sand. The reality is that the unions do restrict who can do what in an effort to keep jobs from disappearing (jobs which, in some cases, could and even perhaps should disappear, as harsh as that may sound).

I would suspect that whichever union represents the ticket agents also represents the baggage agents (and perhaps most other station staff), and they are allowed to work in both crafts or cross duties.

But that doesn't mean that the conductors' union or engineers' union (if they're not combined) or the freight conductors' union or the MOW crew's union doesn't prohibit them from going outside their job description to help elsewhere or--more likely--the ticket/baggage agents' union prohibits non-ticket/baggage-agents from assisting in their affairs (out of a desire to protect the jobs of ticket and baggage agents). (I know in my experience on the railroad, there were clear divisions between the duties of train service employees, engine service employees, hostlers, road crews, yard crews, etc., and there were all sorts of union rules established to prevent crossover and preserve jobs.)

It's silly: the company could probably run far more efficiently and eliminate a good bit of standing around if everyone could help out wherever they were needed. It's silly, but it's reality.

So saying it's nonsense is just pure balderdash.

And BTW, I'm not defending the ticket agent, Amtrak, the customer, or any other party here. I'm simply pointing out the silliness that union restrictions introduce into situations like this.

Fire away because I totally agree. The TT lists checked baggage as an available service. Just one look at the dismal station makes a grown man almost cry. But let's look at the facts; there are three people and a one man extra board in place to provide services. If Amtrak can't accommodate just one train a day with these people and services in place what's to come if we get more trains at the same station? Irregardless of how the pax presented her case we were able to establish that Amtrak dropped the ball~ is there anything new or unusual about this? She came here to vent because we are a Forum. I think she did an excellent job of telling us how lousy a job Amtrak did. My only hope would be that Amtrak would pick up on this and race to Birmingham and fix the elevator and the give the agent a refresher course in how to handle pax properly. Just my pipe dream of the week. Now just where is that suit of scorched armor?
Jay, you summed it up perfectly.

As an aged traveler, and long time Amtrak Unlimited forum user, I am so embarassed that the younger fitter members of the forum are so often slapping down members of the public in such a "know it all" way.

When you get older, with back troubles or high blood pressure, it will not be so easy for you to unexpectedly adapt to having to carry your own heavy luggage.

For goodness sake show a little more compassion!

As to the solution to the luggage problems, proper communication at the time over the issues could have helped here.

One thing that springs to mind would be to ask fitter younger passengers and other members of the public to assist those with difficulties, in a humane and caring spirit.. unlike that shown by some on here..

I expect this voluntary assistance would lead to percieved problems for someone on here.. let's wait and see..?

Ed B)

If people want to keep excusing Amtrak for sucking at operating their business then they will never get into the 21st century. Airlines have stable enough systems with enough redundancy that they can do things like e-check-in. Amtrak's system fails and hours later they can't even do something basic like checking bags. I don't think it is too much to ask.
I'm not excusing Amtrak, I'm saying that we don't have enough info crucify Amtrak on this one the way that some people seem hell bent on doing. Remember the thread from a few months ago where someone got on here and ranted about being mistreated on a train and getting put off the train (I think that this was on the CS) and everyone agreed that he had been wronged until another poster showed up that was onboard and provided a very different story that indicated that perhaps the Conductor was justified in putting the man off the train? All I'm saying is that you folks need to stow the Jump To Conclusions mat and recognize that there is likely FAR more to the story than the emotional factoids that Ruth gave us, and perhaps we shouldn't be so hasty to judge?

Is it not inconceivable that the man on the Extra board was assigned to another station for the day and the baggage man didn't show up on time? In that case, the one agent, faced with a train inbound and a station full of people has to get on the horn, try to find out where the baggage man is and then try to contact the swing person to come in and help out? Even with that setup, it's not inconceivable that a single person could be stuck at the station having to deal with all the pax. Toss in some computer problems, and a broken elevator it's not unrealistic to be faced with the situation at hand.

Now, even so there are still plenty of chances for Amtrak to better prepare, but a "perfect storm" of things breaking and people not showing up (especially on a Friday the 13th) isn't out of the question.

As I read all the back and forth in this thread I wonder this:

If passengers had been able to check bags that day and the elevator was broken, how would the Amtrak employee(s) contended with the bags of say 30 people and gotten them all up those two flights of stairs? Especially to do so in a fashion as to allow the train to leave on time.

I wonder if the elevator being broken had any impact on the decision not to have checked baggage that day? We'll probably never know, but an interesting thought.

As I read all the back and forth in this thread I wonder this:
If passengers had been able to check bags that day and the elevator was broken, how would the Amtrak employee(s) contended with the bags of say 30 people and gotten them all up those two flights of stairs? Especially to do so in a fashion as to allow the train to leave on time.

I wonder if the elevator being broken had any impact on the decision not to have checked baggage that day? We'll probably never know, but an interesting thought.
I am still left wondering if the elevator was indeed broken?

In reading back, all I have been able to come up with, is that the broken elevator is being presumed, speculated about, or part of a "what if" scenario. Not fact.

Ruth said in her post that all the passengers were not allowed to have their baggage checked at the counter. She also said the passengers were told that they were responsible for getting their own luggage to the train..So apparently no RedCap available.
Sorry folks, this is still not clear to me. :unsure:

If the passengers, including Ruth, were not able to check in their "checked luggage" at the counter, then where was it to be checked?

I keep bringing this up, because in my opinion, there is a major distinction between "checked luggage" and "carry-on luggage".

Not being able to check, at all, your large, possibly heavy, "checked luggage" is a rather major problem at any LD train. Its got to get into the baggage car somehow.

Not being able to find a "red cap" to help carry your "carry-on luggage" is a minor inconvenience. That's because I feel that it is a person's own responsible to pick their "carry-on" such that it is manageable by them. In other words, a "carry-on" carries with it (a pun?) a level of personal responsibility to, well, carry it.

I'm not excusing Amtrak, I'm saying that we don't have enough info crucify Amtrak on this one the way that some people seem hell bent on doing. Remember the thread from a few months ago where someone got on here and ranted about being mistreated on a train and getting put off the train (I think that this was on the CS) and everyone agreed that he had been wronged until another poster showed up that was onboard and provided a very different story that indicated that perhaps the Conductor was justified in putting the man off the train? All I'm saying is that you folks need to stow the Jump To Conclusions mat and recognize that there is likely FAR more to the story than the emotional factoids that Ruth gave us, and perhaps we shouldn't be so hasty to judge?

Is it not inconceivable that the man on the Extra board was assigned to another station for the day and the baggage man didn't show up on time? In that case, the one agent, faced with a train inbound and a station full of people has to get on the horn, try to find out where the baggage man is and then try to contact the swing person to come in and help out? Even with that setup, it's not inconceivable that a single person could be stuck at the station having to deal with all the pax. Toss in some computer problems, and a broken elevator it's not unrealistic to be faced with the situation at hand.

Now, even so there are still plenty of chances for Amtrak to better prepare, but a "perfect storm" of things breaking and people not showing up (especially on a Friday the 13th) isn't out of the question.
That's a lot of if and and butts !!! :eek:

As an aged traveler, and long time Amtrak Unlimited forum user, I am so embarassed that the younger fitter members of the forum are so often slapping down members of the public in such a "know it all" way.
When you get older, with back troubles or high blood pressure, it will not be so easy for you to unexpectedly adapt to having to carry your own heavy luggage.

As to the solution to the luggage problems, proper communication at the time over the issues could have helped here.

One thing that springs to mind would be to ask fitter younger passengers and other members of the public to assist those with difficulties, in a humane and caring spirit.. unlike that shown by some on here..

I expect this voluntary assistance would lead to percieved problems for someone on here.. let's wait and see..?

Ed B)
That is what bugs me about the OP.

You honestly think that NOBODY helped SOMEBODY? That there weren't able bodied people who OFFERED assistance? And I'm not talking Amtrak, I'm talking pax. You have got your head up your you know what if you believe that.

The OP is being a histrionic venter who just decided to preach to *us* of all people about how screwed up she thinks Amtrak is and asked for pity. Her post is full of BS mistruths and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lie or two and there.

I would have sympathy for anybody who was inconvenienced by this event. I have NONE for somebody who calls it "traumatizing" and plays on your emotions for no goof reason.

She'll forget the whole thing in a month despite her promise to take this to her grave. (ANother histrionic statement that I find absent in her post but think would fit in perfectly.)

Not being able to find a "red cap" to help carry your "carry-on luggage" is a minor inconvenience. That's because I feel that it is a person's own responsible to pick their "carry-on" such that it is manageable by them. In other words, a "carry-on" carries with it (a pun?) a level of personal responsibility to, well, carry it.
Adding to that is the fact that carry-on policy on Amtrak is more generous than checked policy on airlines. Your carry-on bags can be large (not supersize) suitcases up to 50 pounds... I've checked bags small enough to be carry-on before, I usually carry around just this one suitcase, but it is more often then not carry-on.

That's a lot of if and and butts !!! :eek:
It is, and that's my point! Nobody knows what went down at the station that day, yet people are ready to fly off the handle and file this one in the "It's all Amtrak's fault" without knowing what actually happened.
Let's be realistic here; how much effort would it have taken for the agent to radio the Crescent and explain his plight whatever it may have been? Then he would have the monkey off his back and would have had his pax taken care of if the SA's came downstairs and helped their pax. There is too much "convenience" for the employees going on; case in point~ week before last the Tuscaloosa agent called #19 and had him spot the baggage car door at the depot door. His golf cart worked; his trailer was operable but he didn't want to have to drive down to the end of the platform to load bags. Good gravy; one train a day and we double spot for someone who is supposed to just drive down and load up without question while pax de-train without any further delay to the train. I've picked up people at stations in wheel chairs riding the sleepers and begged station agents to double spot the train to no avail (I'm not blaming the agent; it could have been an ornery cnductor but they are both Amtrak employees.) It's not easy to push a wheel chair through ballast because of someone's ignorance. And before you ask if the cart at Tuscaloosa did run I watched him unload #20 at its usual stopping point which is about 6 car lengths north of the depot for the baggage car. I'd call B'Ham to see if the freight elevator is working but would be afraid the answer I would get might not match the elevator's actual operating condition.

Ed B)
Ed, thank you, thank you, thank you for so eloquently expressing what I have been thinking but failed to express in my previous posts. Although I'd like to say more, I think I'll just leave my comment at that and not add fuel to the fire for those who may be hell-bent on being negative against the OP and possibly against Amtrak too for that matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back