Station closed on Sat & Sun...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Train Attendant
I got tickets to take my grandnephew on an Amtrak train ride from Cleburne TX to Ft Worth.

It's just for the adventure of it for his birthday. He's a little boy fascinated with trains, so why not let him ride on one, it's only an hour ride.

(My ulterior motive is I'll be on the TE from FTW to CHI in a couple weeks and also just wanted to get my bearings before heading out like that).

Looking at the station profile it says CLOSED on Sat&Sun.... Does that mean you just stand on a platform with your e-ticket in hand and hop on? I'm assuming it means you just can't go inside the station.......Am I right?

Since they issued you a ticket then I would expect it just means you can't go inside.

Thanks... Felt dumb asking since it seemed obvious, but just wanted to be sure!! :)

Have a great ride! Your grandnephew probably wouldn't want to sit around inside the station, anyway. He'll want to

be out on the platform looking down the tracks for the approaching train!

There's no such thing as a dumb question. :)
We specialize in dumb answers! :giggle:
Yes there is, and so do I..... I work in a bookstore :lol: :huh:

Have a great ride! Your grandnephew probably wouldn't want to sit around inside the station, anyway. He'll want tobe out on the platform looking down the tracks for the approaching train!
You are probably right about that! Just thought it might be worth exploring, but yeah, the platform does sound better!!

I do find it interesting that a 'station' (assuming this is not a lean to covered shelter type) that has scheduled service, in this case, The Texas Eagle, is closed on 2 of the 7 days that the Eagle runs. The time table shows mid afternoon arrival and departure in either direction. Regardless the ridership numbers and whatever justification is presented for closure of a station during actual (and real) needs by the traveing public, this action of station closure in these circumstances is not a forward thinking step in the world of customer service and satisfaction.

Disclosure: I have never been to Cleburne, TX and other than a cursory glance of the station building on Google Earth my assumptions in the discussion are just that, 'assumptions'; having said that, I still feel that a station facility should be operational by Amtrak staff when published service times indicate that a train will be arriving and / or departing, especially in the middle of the day.

Weird, for sure. Don't know what they offer M-F, as Cleburne doesn't offer Quik-Trak, ticket services, baggage or anything. Perhaps a volunteer or a state employee like many of the stations North Carolina offer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do find it interesting that a 'station' (assuming this is not a lean to covered shelter type) that has scheduled service, in this case, The Texas Eagle, is closed on 2 of the 7 days that the Eagle runs. The time table shows mid afternoon arrival and departure in either direction. Regardless the ridership numbers and whatever justification is presented for closure of a station during actual (and real) needs by the traveing public, this action of station closure in these circumstances is not a forward thinking step in the world of customer service and satisfaction.
Disclosure: I have never been to Cleburne, TX and other than a cursory glance of the station building on Google Earth my assumptions in the discussion are just that, 'assumptions'; having said that, I still feel that a station facility should be operational by Amtrak staff when published service times indicate that a train will be arriving and / or departing, especially in the middle of the day.
Temple, Texas South of Cleburne is a Major Staffed Station Stop for the Two Daily Texas Eagles yet there is No Checked Baggage and the Station Closes on Saturday after the Arrival of the Northbound #22 and is Closed for the Arrival of #21 on Saturday Evening and on Sundays! :eek: I know Galesburg, Ill used to have No Checked Baggage but now that Amtrak is implementing Self Checking @ Non-Staffed Stations perhaps this will change Soon @ All Stations! ;)

Peggy - I'm looking for a book. I don't know the author's name or the title, but I think it's red? It might have a picture on the front too. I know it's about divorce, and I think Oprah talked about it a year ago, or maybe it was Dr. Phil. Could you help me find it?

(I used to work in a library.)

FYI: Westerly, RI is a station on the NEC and sees many trains in each direction throughout the day, 7 days a week. It's staffed, but with only 1 employee. Due to this, the station (both ticket window and the station building itself) is only open from 7 am to 3 pm, Monday to Friday. If you take a train at (say) 10 am, the station is open. If you take a train at 11 pm, the station is not open.

Peggy - I'm looking for a book. I don't know the author's name or the title, but I think it's red? It might have a picture on the front too. I know it's about divorce, and I think Oprah talked about it a year ago, or maybe it was Dr. Phil. Could you help me find it?
I know that book, but wasn't the cover blue with orange letters? But I thought it was on Ellen's show. I do remember the author's name began with some letter between "D" and "T".

FYI: Westerly, RI is a station on the NEC and sees many trains in each direction throughout the day, 7 days a week. It's staffed, but with only 1 employee. Due to this, the station (both ticket window and the station building itself) is only open from 7 am to 3 pm, Monday to Friday. If you take a train at (say) 10 am, the station is open. If you take a train at 11 pm, the station is not open.
It's now been changed to 5:30am to 1:15pm. I was there last week (luckily when the beautiful station house was open). I'm surprised that it doesn't close for a lunch hour or bit in the middle of the shift. These types of hours for one-shift ticket offices are extremely common on Commuter Railroads. Tons of NJT and the LIRR ticket offices have similar hours with posted lunch hours between 9am and 10am!

Other Amtrak stations still staffed by an Amtrak employee with the one weekday shift hours include Meridan and Berlin on the Springfield Shuttle (Northeast Regional, Vermonter).

You will find it conveniently located in the Self Help Section on the Red Book Shelf. ;)

I know that book, but wasn't the cover blue with orange letters? But I thought it was on Ellen's show. I do remember the author's name began with some letter between "D" and "T".
Y'all need to cut me some slack. Today was Day One of a 5 day Labor Day Sale. When does my train leave???

You will find it conveniently located in the Self Help Section on the Red Book Shelf. ;)
Looks like I need some Self Help with signing in..........that, or rum.

Sorry, Peggy. ;)

That was a real question I got, but it was back in 1994. Had it been today, I suppose I could have searched Oprah's book list online to see if I could spot the cover for them, but back then? Forget it. :p

Sorry, Peggy. ;)
That was a real question I got, but it was back in 1994. Had it been today, I suppose I could have searched Oprah's book list online to see if I could spot the cover for them, but back then? Forget it. :p
Those same questions remain today..... I get horrified looks when I say I don't watch TV so I'm gonna need more info than "It was on Oprah" :lol:

Sorry, Peggy. ;)
Those same questions remain today..... I get horrified looks when I say I don't watch TV so I'm gonna need more info than "It was on Oprah" :lol:
Now if they said, "It was said on AU, ..."! :giggle:

"Now if they said, "It was said on AU, ..."! :giggle:"

....then it MUST be true!!!!! :lol:

Can't seem to be able to upload a photo...but the Cleburne station in question here is a nice little station. It was indeed closed, and in triple digit Texas heat today, that really sucked. But the interior looked nice and clean, there were benches and a ticket counter. There was a cool old Santa Fe red caboose on display that fascinated the boy. But, wow, getting in out of the heat when the train was 40 minutes late suuuuuure woulda been nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back