Stargazing from Lounges on Western Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RCrierie

Train Attendant
Ok, I live in a DC suburb, and you can only basically see major constellations due to all the light pollution from the BALT-WASH-PHILLY-NYC-BOS metropolitan area.

This wouldn't be a problem on an empire builder or california zephyr route, far away from anyone in the middle of North Dakota etc...

Can you effectively stargaze from the lounge, or is the nighttime car lighting strong enough to destroy your night vision with glare?

Crossing the desert or plains on clear nights I always give stargazing a try, but no real success so far. I think it's an unfortunate fact that Amtrak trains just make lousy observatories.

It is my experience that stargazing is better in one's roomette/bedroom than the lounge car, but it is still not good. That said, I've found that looking out at the world rolling past my room at night is better if I block some of the light coming in from the hall. The curtains that give you privacy in your room are not always that 'light proof' and the base of the door lets in light as well. I've used newspaper to block the light at the base of the door, my carry-on bag to help hold the curtains against the interior windows, and my coat(s) or rain poncho, to make the curtains darker, by putting the coat(s) or poncho on a hanger and then putting the hanger on one of the coat hooks above the interior windows. I suppose if one put an effort into it, one could block more light with black plastic and some tape, but I've never felt it to be worth the effort, as I can see out well enough with my system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in a city too and have been able to get a good view of lots of stars out of a roomette or a bedroom if it's a good clear night. I wasn't doing anything scientific, just enjoying lots of stars and the Milky Way as we rolled through the plains.

I have been fortunate to have taken some of the transcontinentals in Canada. In the smaller dome at night they can have just the emergency lights in the floor walkway on. I am not sure if they still do that, but I have caught both the Norhern Lights and a meteor shower from the dome. The stars were still great especially at the higher altitudes.

I was able to gaze out the window at night and see some stuff on the SWC. I had the curtains closed to my bedroom and of course the lights out in the room. But there just wasn't that much to see half the time - plus it was cloudy so not a lot of light outside when we were rolling through the desert.

I also live in the city and almost never see stars. I always get excited when I am out in even the suburbs at my parents house in NJ - I can see some stars! Of course it is nothing compared to the night sky in a rural location without light pollution.

One big problem with the Sightseer is that the lights are always at full power. As said, I can see the sky a little better from my roomette or bedroom.
Not always, I've spent many a night sleeping in the Sightseer & the lights were turned down/off.

peter

It is hard to beat sitting in my room, having made it as dark as possible, and looking at the world passing by, stars,small towns and all.

I have some small stage disabilities which make it harder to walk through the train two thousand times, as was my habit years ago. So I have discovered there is much to enjoy just out the window, especially as the night hurtles by.

I did the Southwest Chief last year and the night-time view from my roomette was quite phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back