Standardized diner food service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm worried about you guys out there!!!

The way you talk about Amtrak food, I can only guess that your mothers and wives are really lousy cooks!!! :lol:

Or you have defective tastebuds!!!! :blink:

They got a new item in the lounge called the "Big Cinnamon" roll. Real tasty with Amtrak ice cream!!! :p

B)

The way you talk about Amtrak food, I can only guess that your mothers and wives are really lousy cooks!!!
The mother CAN NOT cook and my dad thinks he can, but really can't. I'm a pretty good chef if I don't say so myself though.
The "Big Cinniamon" roll sounds good. Food service is always thinking up something new. Who does the food service anyways???

They contracted the commisary to Dobbs International. They also do airline food. I think that Amtrak picks the products and Dobbs supplies and picks up the food on each trip.

Usually, they leave behind dated products or opened stuff like cheesecake and pies. But every now and then we get lucky!!! :eek: Last weel they left 15 steaks on the diner, so Joe fired up the grille on the diner of the train we were working and invited 13 "yardrats" for dinner. They left a bag of salad and packs of dressings, so we had a good time during work. After we were done, we fed the scraps to the dogs on the property. They eat pretty good too!!! :D

B)

With Dobbs doing the commisary I hope the food does not begin the downward spiral to airline quality, meaning small portions of food with no flavor. Hopefully the cost-cutting doesn't get this bad. :ph34r:

My favorite breakfast on the train is french toast with bacon. On my recent trip(ATl-NO-Chi-DC-ATL)the servings or something about it seemed smaller and not quite as tasty....not sure what was wrong...did not seem the same.

Lunch and dinner seeemd about as they had been.

Just got back from a short trip on the Texas Eagle (SAS-DAL-SAS) and had a chance to try the Filet for dinner. Now I'll be the first to admit I don't exactly have gormet taste buds, but that was a darn good steak! Tender and cooked exactly right. Had the baked ptotato (also good since Amtrak still believes in serving Real Butter!) and the mixed vegetables. And those mixed veggies, along with green and wax beans, still had the baby carrots! Guess those are going to be an Amtrak regular in one form or another. The new Apple/Cherry cobbler with Amtrak vanilla ice cream could have benefitted slightly from a higher fruit to crust ratio, but was very tasty just the way it came. All in all I think they have done very well with the new menu . . . . you are never going to be able to please everyone, but I really can't see anyone complaining about the choices offered. Now if they would only bake fresh bread on the train . . . .

Miami Joe said:
But every now and then we get lucky!!! :eek: Last weel they left 15 steaks on the diner, so Joe fired up the grille on the diner of the train we were working and invited 13 "yardrats" for dinner. They left a bag of salad and packs of dressings, so we had a good time during work. After we were done, we fed the scraps to the dogs on the property. They eat pretty good too!!! :D B)
Jesus Crist!

No wonder Amtrak is losing money on its dining cars. Why would they leave that much food on there, and why cant they use it on another trip?

I guess if the food was out of date that would be one thing.

No, I think they forgot the steaks!!!

Years ago, from what I'm told, they would take the food off the train and put it in the dumpster. Then they would pour bleach over it!!!

When I asked why, I was told that some employees were taking the food and selling it to Mom and Pop stores and someone got sick from the food. I guess the the lucky guy tried to sue Amtrak. :angry:

B)

I arrived home last night from a quick trip to New York and back on the Silver Meteor (98/97). The new menu has some items that are great beyond words. It reminded me of train dining years ago.

They have a turkey club sandwich on the lunch menu that I ate two days. Lots of turkey, bacon, cheese, on a thick-sliced bread that reminded me of honey whole wheat. It was served with the very best slaw I ever tasted, not sopped with mayo, but more like oriental slaw.

I enjoyed grilled pork (with a Spanish-sounding name) that was lightly coated with a tomato-based sauce. It is a huge piece of meat, but cooked so tender it could be pulled apart with a fork.

For dessert that offer a strawberry-apple pie with a mouth watering crust.

Hats off to the people who came up with the standardized menu. The new items have passangers talking.

Miami Joe said:
By the way, the apple pie is still available on Silver Service. Had a piece Thursday!
The original Deep Dish Apple Pie was discontinued due to a "problem" with it. The new apple pie combo is almost as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back