Standardized diner food service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know as well, as I have not ridden Amtrak since menu standardization, but from what I hear its not that bad.

Ok, first night out im gonna have the steak, for breakfast, pancakes, and for lunch probably the cheeseburger. If we are on time, lol, i will probably weat dinner in Grand Junction.

I am taking 98 from Deerfield Beach FL to NYP tomorrow in the 10 car. You guys already have my mouth watering for the "Floridian" breakfast; scrambled eggs, bacon, the best potatoes and biscuits around. Don't know about lunch, but dinner will be those great pork chops. Too bad they discontinued the deep dish apple pie.

Bozo, enjoy your trip. Visit here for the Amtrak menu and maybe it'll give you a better idea on lunch. I usually have the Cheeseburger, but its cooked well done, and I personally prefer Medium-Well. The Floridian is absoultely the best, you're making my mouth water as well. I think back to the time my train (Silver Meteor) was early, and eating it in the diner with my mom and little brother between Baltimore and Wilmington (Train 98). Man that was a great meal. I also remember eating the same thing on the Silver Star (92) in April in North Carolina (Stopping in Rocky Mount) in the Temoinsa Rebuilt Heritage Diner.

abr8552interior.jpg

It's no longer called the "Floridian" breakfast, but 2 eggs, potatos, sausage, and biscuts is the same thing. For lunch the Ceaser Salad sounds good, and for dinner I recomend the Steak and try to go with mashed potatos. The baked can be under cooked and dry from my experiences. Enjoy!!!

Amfleet said:
It's no longer called the "Floridian" breakfast, but 2 eggs, potatos, sausage, and biscuts is the same thing. For lunch the Ceaser Salad sounds good, and for dinner I recomend the Steak and try to go with mashed potatos. The baked can be under cooked and dry from my experiences. Enjoy!!!
I could eat that, minus the sausage. B)

Does anyone recall a couple years ago when at least some of the MIA-NYP Silver Service trains used to offer a Cuban sandwich at lunch? It was the absolute best sandwich of its type anywhere. The sandwich had genuine Cuban (Miami) pork, seasoned and roasted just right, with a slice of ham, pickles, whatever else, and then grilled on Cuban bread. That sandwich alone was worth a train trip.

It seemed to be popular with passengers, so in the Amtrak tradition it was dropped.

These regional items weren't dropped because Amtrak wanted to. The budget crunched company had no choice but to standerdize the all Dining Cars. Now I was thinking that mabey not all trains should have a regional menu but, 2-3 routes share a menu. Like the: Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, and Cardinal, Silver Meteor and Silver Star, City of New Orleans and Crescent, etc.

Amfleet said:
These regional items weren't dropped because Amtrak wanted to. The budget crunched company had no choice but to standerdize the all Dining Cars. Now I was thinking that mabey not all trains should have a regional menu but, 2-3 routes share a menu. Like the: Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, and Cardinal, Silver Meteor and Silver Star, City of New Orleans and Crescent, etc.
Don't forget the Silver Palm and Three Rivers (Broadway Limited) :lol: . By the Way how are the repairs in Beech Grove doing on those the Superliners?

I think that would be wise, a variety in each "region" so to speak.

Bozo said:
Does anyone recall a couple years ago when at least some of the MIA-NYP Silver Service trains used to offer a Cuban sandwich at lunch? It was the absolute best sandwich of its type anywhere. The sandwich had genuine Cuban (Miami) pork, seasoned and roasted just right, with a slice of ham, pickles, whatever else, and then grilled on Cuban bread. That sandwich alone was worth a train trip.
It seemed to be popular with passengers, so in the Amtrak tradition it was dropped.
yes! that sandwich was excellent. It was called the Cuban Sub if I remember. Included some quite flavorful melted cheese.

As someone with some experience in preparing menus for the public, I can assure you that preparing a limited menu (small number of items) for the general public can be a nightmare. Different dietary issues, religious restrictions, and regional customs conspire together to make menu preparation almost impossible. Now, move the whole exercise onto a moving train with limited stops, all kinds of food storage restrictions, and unusual considerations for preparation and serving times, and you have what seems to be to be an impossible task. I think the standard menu is outstanding, especially since it is affordable. I am a pure vegetarian. Vegetarian diets are one of the most difficult to fill. I have never been disappointed with the provisions for vegetarians on Amtrak, even though I have to be satisfied with only one choice at each meal. At least there is something. Given the alternatives -in any realm- with the airlines (nothing at all) or the buses (fat and salt in fast food stops), Amtrak has, by far, the best alternatives at meal time. I rather miss, however, the "veggie-burgers" that seemed to be on all the regional menus from 2001. These were the best such things I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing anywhere: land, sea, or air.

#91 arrived on time, which gave me time to go to the station and look for goodies!!! <_<

Well, I just had 6 castleburgers, a salad and for desert,Kraft cheesecake!!! :lol:

By the way, the apple pie is still available on Silver Service. Had a piece Thursday!! :)

Has anyone tried the chocalate truffle? It's very rich, so much so that the only way I can eat it is to drink ice cold half and half with it!!! :blink:

B)

We still have the veggie burger on Silver Service. It's a microwave burger but is really pretty good and tastes like a hamburger when you add the goodies! :p

The only thing I don't like is the chedder cheese on it. It tastes like Gov't cheese!! :blink:

PS. They call it a Garden Burger.

B)

Has anyone tried the chocalate truffle? It's very rich, so much so that the only way I can eat it is to drink ice cold half and half with it!!!
I had that on the Capitol Limited. I ate with ice cream but still could only eat half. My mom had the apple pie which was really good. I also enjoy the garden burger as the meat ones are too much for me. Wow, after all this food talk I wish I had an Amtrak diner siting right outside my house. :blink:

Whay do you mean when you say " I only ate half" or " the meat one is too much for me"?

How old are you ??? Six or Seven? :blink:

B)

PS. Let me know if you need help cutting your sandwich!!!! :p :huh:

B)

Miami Joe said:
The only thing I don't like is the chedder cheese on it. It tastes like Gov't cheese!! :blink:
The government used to make all sorts of food that would be given to summer camps, charities, and the like. I don't know if the still make it, since I haven't seen it in years, but the cheddar cheese back then used to be awesome. We used to come home with huge chunks of end at the end of the camp season, put it in the freezer and then take out small pieces as needed. That was some of the best cheddar I’ve ever had. :)

What can I say, Alan?

We all like cheese in one form or another! :rolleyes:

I guess there's a little "rat" in all of us!!!

:blink:

No that government cheese is still around. Just come and have lunch with me in my school cafeteria and you'll see. I won't even go into the day when a girl found a piece of thumb in her turkey roll up. I'm serious!!!

Amfleet said:
No that government cheese is still around. Just come and have lunch with me in my school cafeteria and you'll see. I won't even go into the day when a girl found a piece of thumb in her turkey roll up. I'm serious!!!
I don't trust the cafeteria, plus they're not that cheap, I just bring lunch. B)

Sure sounds gross, but I'm still interested. :eek:

uuummmm!!! :p

Just got done having some "business class" vanilla ice cream.

Good stuff!! :p You can even see the bean in it!! :blink:

When I was in the Air Force, sometimes we would get box lunches delivered to the flightline. I ordered a grilled cheese with ham and for some reason on that day, I actually peeled it open to see what was in it. I never did this before. I saw this black spot thru the thinly sliced ham!! :huh: I pulled the one slice off and saw what looked like "sliced mouse"! :blink: All I can tell you is that it was the size of your "pinkie" nail and was covered with hair!! :angry:

I carried this sandwich with me for three days, showing it to anyone I could get to look at it!!! :blink:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's in one of my boxes packed away from the USAF. :ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back