Stabbing at KAL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Alice, My hotel is only a few blocks there. I'm more worried about being harassed or robbed because I'll have a big backpack. That would put a damper on my vacation. I'll grab a cab. I will be taking the caltrain downtown the next day. It looks like a great station to explore from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim Hudson, I'm also shocked about Downtown Austin at night, having spent five years there too, from 81 to 86. WE never thought twice about walking downtown. Just south of 6th Street was a bit marginal, but other than that, Congress Ave, and the environs were all "OK". Does Austin still have those historic Moonlight Towers illuminating small sections of the city?
Austin has 5 of the "Moon Towers" left, Three on the East Side and One in Zilker Park and One in Clarksville!

You would hardly Recognize Austin anymore! Theyre turning it into a Combo Houston/LA/Dallas and trying to mix in Portland and M anhattan while touting it as "Austin!" As Downtown has transitioned into a "Mini-Manhattan" with Festivals, Marathons,High Rises, Condos, Upscale Cafes and Hotels, Botiques, Clubs and Bars etc. the Tourists Flock to this Area! They have turned the old Warehouse District (old Railroad Hotels, Warehouses etc.) into a really Trendy Place to Be!

The Main Police station is still Downtown (7th Street) and while it is Heavily Policed on t6th and the Warehouse District, Drug Dealers and Hustlers of all Types abound! There are Robberies and Assaults almost Nightly, mostly Tourists and College Kids as Victims! (Alcohol and drug Sales are Huge here!)

Unfortunately the Rising Rents and Gentrefication of Austin have forced most of the Old time Funky Places with Character out of Downtown and the slogan "Keep Austin Weird" has turned into "Keep Austin Growing!" Most of us who live here don't go Downtown, it's not Oakland but it's not the Fun/Safe Place the C of C Boosters and Media make it out to be! :(
Jim, we noticed that last year, we stayed near the warehouse district and of course had to do the 6th street deal, but we did it early and got out before it went insane. When the sun was up, we felt safe in warehouse district, but after dark it was iffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back