Stabbing at KAL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not kidding when I say that area is sketchy. I live a half-mile from the station, so I always walk to the morning or afternoon trains, but when I get back from Chicago or Detroit after dark, my boyfriend insists on picking me up.

There are two homeless shelters on either side of the station, and the high-crime neighborhood begins as soon as you pass the tracks. It is literally "the other side of the tracks", like you read about in old books and see in old movies.

The people in the shelters have my sympathy, and I do not fear them, but it makes it difficult to walk to/from the station. It's not so much the beggars, which I don't mind, as the random people who walk up and start chatting to me while walking next to me. I'm never quite sure what they're going to do. If you're going to ask for change, ask. If you're trying to chat me up, smeg off. If you're completely Looney Tunes, go away.

Luckily, the ticket agents are really good about ensuring that the waiting room is kept free of anyone who isn't riding Amtrak, Greyhound, or Indian Trails. As soon as you venture out the door, though, you're fair game.

It's sad, really. I really am glad that guy is okay.

Does KAL have any Amtrak Police or Transit Police around the Bus or Train Stations or does the Local PD handle this Sketchy Area?? Every Town has Areas like this, downtown Austin (THE Tourist Area!) is Very Dangerous @ Night! I tell Visiting Friends to stay away from there unless they are in a Group! Being Local we know what areas to avoid but stuff like this makes it tough for Travelers and Tourists! Glad it wasn't more serious!

Does KAL have any Amtrak Police or Transit Police around the Bus or Train Stations or does the Local PD handle this Sketchy Area?? Every Town has Areas like this, downtown Austin (THE Tourist Area!) is Very Dangerous @ Night! I tell Visiting Friends to stay away from there unless they are in a Group! Being Local we know what areas to avoid but stuff like this makes it tough for Travelers and Tourists! Glad it wasn't more serious!
Amtrak does not have police stationed there, but the local police maintain a presence. They're in that area pretty much constantly due to the shelters, the 24-hour McDonald's across the street, and the station itself.

While the police don't park there, they do cruise by very often. It helps that their headquarters are just a couple of blocks away in the central business district (which is a beautiful, safe area - it's so bizarre how much can change in two blocks). I have seen them idling at the curb when the late-night trains arrive, as they generally arrive within 20 minutes of each other when they're on-time.

We had the misfortune of having to go to KAL to redeem an old fashion voucher last year.

I'm from Chicago, the city, not the burbs.

I've had my purse snatched twice (both times unsuccessfully), been manhandled, been the recipient of wagging, chased shoplifters, etc.

But I was never scared in the city and I'm still not when I visit.

KAL, on the other hand, is nasty and I actually feared for my safety there.

There is nothing about that station or area that gives you any confidence

I HAD to use the restroom and had the hubby stand guard because, if there was ever a good place to get attacked, that would be it.

I don't feel bad for anyone in the area and don't care about their situations.

I also don't want to be accosted by panhandlers either.

The area is out of control, imo.

I realize that bad things can happen anywhere but why tempt fate?

I'll drive to Chicago before I'd go to KAL again, okay, maybe not but it would have to be a dire situation for me to go there again.

Apologies to Sarah and anyone else that has to travel out of there.

It's really sad too because the station is absolutely beautiful.

The agent spent quite a bit of time telling us about the restoration and the craftspeople who worked on it.

I'm glad I got to see it.

You have to be careful . The biggest target of theft nowadays is the Iphone . Here in Houston the crime rate is moderately high . Downtown and where I live at night , you have to watch your back and don't let your guard down at no time . I give advice to visitors when visiting Houston mostly about the dangers . Its gets hard to travel anywhere now . It's like you practically can't take anything with you without being jacked or assaulted for it . Just traveling in route to somewhere is even dangerous because you don't know what people's intentions are when you're traveling and being stuck with them until you get to where you're going. If possible , get a weapons permit to carry if it is allowed in your state . If you own a Iphone , laptop , tablet , DVDplayer ,etc . keep them out of sight particular that Iphone . Whatever you do , don't dress flashy unless you're flying . HPD is very hot here in Houston because Amtrak is located in Downtown directly across the street from Houston Police Dept. (Traffic and Municipal Courts Division ) with the post office located next door to the eastside of the little depot . Ladies , be especially careful going to and fro . I have a question . Does KAL have any camera surveillance ? A station like that being outside should have surveillance posted around there.

Wow. That does SUCK. I spent four years in KAL, and rode the train very frequently, West to CHI, and East to ARB. While the area around the station was never GREAT, I would have never called it "sketchy". Sux it has changed for the worse.

The ".....two blocks away, the area is safe®...." statement could be true (and in reverse) of many, many, areas.

Jim Hudson, I'm also shocked about Downtown Austin at night, having spent five years there too, from 81 to 86. WE never thought twice about walking downtown. Just south of 6th Street was a bit marginal, but other than that, Congress Ave, and the environs were all "OK". Does Austin still have those historic Moonlight Towers illuminating small sections of the city?

I too have traveled out of KAL fairly frequently as of late. In my experience, you need to be even more cautious in the summer months generally than the winter. The warmer weather months are when the creeps are out in full force. I think that the stabbing was more of an isolated incident. If you keep things moving quickly and don't engage people, you'll generally be ok. But if you're a woman traveling alone, I'd also be a bit more worried.

Here's a little tip. If you ever utilize the parking garage on Rose Street, use the exit/entrance to the garage that literally faces the train station. That way you barely have to walk outside. You just have to cross the street and then you can briskly walk to the station entrance from there.

And I thought it was tough where I live now - I have to remember to take the keys out of the car when I go to Walmart. Born and raised on the West Side of Chi and in 68 witnessed Austin burn 3 blocks from my house after Dr.King was assassinated. The local symphony orchestra may not be Solti, but living five miles outside a town of 5K has it's advantages. I feel sorry for folks who have to put up with this sort of stuff on a daily basis.

Those two probably had nothing to do with Amtrak but stations attract people that may be looking for a hand out. I'll be in two stations after dark soon and my hotels there are about a half mile away SLO and SJC. I had planned to walk so after reading this maybe I should take a cab?

I grew up in big cities and have always watched my 6 but now I'm older and maybe a target?

Okay, hold up. People seem to be painting this as an area of miscreants and mass murder. I said it was "sketchy", but it is no more sketchy than any other station in any other big city. I've walked there by myself many, many, many times. After dark, yes, I'm more careful and have my boyfriend pick me up, but that's just the reality of living in a city. I don't walk alone at night around Chicago either. I always walk with/near a group.

The panhandlers are just that - panhandlers - and they are few and far between compared to the ones at CUS. While I have been approached, a simple, "Sorry, no," sends them away. I don't get hassled like I do at CUS.

My intention was not to paint KAL in some horrible light. I posted this because it's the first incident I've read about in many years. It's shocking because it's rare.

I'm not discounting the other posters' views, but I will say I do not agree with them. This isn't Detroit or Flint.

Please do not let this make you fearful to travel to KAL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim Hudson, I'm also shocked about Downtown Austin at night, having spent five years there too, from 81 to 86. WE never thought twice about walking downtown. Just south of 6th Street was a bit marginal, but other than that, Congress Ave, and the environs were all "OK". Does Austin still have those historic Moonlight Towers illuminating small sections of the city?
Austin has 5 of the "Moon Towers" left, Three on the East Side and One in Zilker Park and One in Clarksville!

You would hardly Recognize Austin anymore! Theyre turning it into a Combo Houston/LA/Dallas and trying to mix in Portland and M anhattan while touting it as "Austin!" As Downtown has transitioned into a "Mini-Manhattan" with Festivals, Marathons,High Rises, Condos, Upscale Cafes and Hotels, Botiques, Clubs and Bars etc. the Tourists Flock to this Area! They have turned the old Warehouse District (old Railroad Hotels, Warehouses etc.) into a really Trendy Place to Be!

The Main Police station is still Downtown (7th Street) and while it is Heavily Policed on t6th and the Warehouse District, Drug Dealers and Hustlers of all Types abound! There are Robberies and Assaults almost Nightly, mostly Tourists and College Kids as Victims! (Alcohol and drug Sales are Huge here!)

Unfortunately the Rising Rents and Gentrefication of Austin have forced most of the Old time Funky Places with Character out of Downtown and the slogan "Keep Austin Weird" has turned into "Keep Austin Growing!" Most of us who live here don't go Downtown, it's not Oakland but it's not the Fun/Safe Place the C of C Boosters and Media make it out to be! :(

Okay, hold up. People seem to be painting this as an area of miscreants and mass murder. I said it was "sketchy", but it is no more sketchy than any other station in any other big city. I've walked there by myself many, many, many times. After dark, yes, I'm more careful and have my boyfriend pick me up, but that's just the reality of living in a city. I don't walk alone at night around Chicago either. I always walk with/near a group.

The panhandlers are just that - panhandlers - and they are few and far between compared to the ones at CUS. While I have been approached, a simple, "Sorry, no," sends them away. I don't get hassled like I do at CUS.

My intention was not to paint KAL in some horrible light. I posted this because it's the first incident I've read about in many years. It's shocking because it's rare.

I'm not discounting the other posters' views, but I will say I do not agree with them. This isn't Detroit or Flint.

Please do not let this make you fearful to travel to KAL.

The couple of times I've been at the station, I've not really felt any reason to be fearful. That being said, how safe would long-term parking be in KAL?

I'm not sure why Austin would be considered unsafe? Many folks here in San Antonio consider Austin a great weekend escape, including yours truly. I've been three sheets on six and never so much as a rude word in my direction. I don't doubt that people casually flashing wealth or buying illicit drugs are being hurt, you'll see that in any large city, but I never thought of Austin as dangerous. If anything I'd be more concerned about receiving a citation for disorderly conduct than being threatened or accosted by some thug. I can't think of a bigger potential target than the clueless Bush sisters and the only thing that happened to them was a bust for underage drinking.

Maybe it has more to do with familiarity.

I never feel threatened in Chicago and the front of the station has been cleaned up, a lot of police presence in the area too.

Since the cab stand with the very nicely dressed attendant was installed, I haven't been approached by anyone in front of CUS.

Due to the horrendous weather, I didn't venture out in January though, is he still there?

The surrounding environs are a different story but, then again, I walk with purpose, don't make eye contact or acknowledge the presence of freaks and weirdos.

I don't like the 'sketchy' areas of any city/area I'm not familiar with - there are areas of Grand Rapids and even itsy bitsy Holland that I wouldn't venture into.

That said, the KAL station seemed like a free for all to me and, as much as I LOVE New Orleans, I hate that station too but I'm not afraid to travel around the city.

They've got an office for the sheriff in NOL but for what, I don't know.

The station always has a nice selection of creeps on hand.

Kalamazoo itself is nice enough though.

I'm not sure why Austin would be considered unsafe? Many folks here in San Antonio consider Austin a great weekend escape, including yours truly. I've been three sheets on six and never so much as a rude word in my direction. I don't doubt that people casually flashing wealth or buying illicit drugs are being hurt, you'll see that in any large city, but I never thought of Austin as dangerous. If anything I'd be more concerned about receiving a citation for disorderly conduct than being threatened or accosted by some thug. I can't think of a bigger potential target than the clueless Bush sisters and the only thing that happened to them was a bust for underage drinking.
There you have it. I'll warn my daughter not to move to Austin. :giggle:

The couple of times I've been at the station, I've not really felt any reason to be fearful. That being said, how safe would long-term parking be in KAL?
It's quite safe. The Arcadia structure is monitored 24 hours per day and has bright, fluorescent lighting on every deck. I would exit on Kalamazoo Ave. or Rose St. if you're walking to the station. I've never had any problems there. I park there for festivals and all sorts of things.

You had every right to be defensive after seeing your home put down the way that it was.

It's quite safe. The Arcadia structure is monitored 24 hours per day and has bright, fluorescent lighting on every deck. I would exit on Kalamazoo Ave. or Rose St. if you're walking to the station. I've never had any problems there. I park there for festivals and all sorts of things.
That's reassuring to hear. I've now got tickets for my mom, my sister and me for late July to head out to Portland, OR starting in KAL and I made the offer to drive. I'm glad that it's monitored. We'll be on 351, July 22 to catch the Empire Builder to PDX, heading back on the Coast Starlight and California Zephyr arriving back in CHI on the 30th and to KAL on 354 that night.

Those two probably had nothing to do with Amtrak but stations attract people that may be looking for a hand out. I'll be in two stations after dark soon and my hotels there are about a half mile away SLO and SJC. I had planned to walk so after reading this maybe I should take a cab?

I grew up in big cities and have always watched my 6 but now I'm older and maybe a target?
You'll be fine in San Luis Obispo. Check out their car free program for discounts, too.

I don't know San Jose that well, I was there at night a couple of weeks ago and walked around some, but it was kind of cold and wet so not many people were out. OTOH, the prior night, something was going on at the nearby arena, so lots of people were out. The city is in bad shape financially and that has affected the PD. There have been some shootings and knifings around downtown bars. Can you get where you want to go with light rail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back