St. Louis Post Office and its amazing pneumatic tube

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Here's an interesting piece of transportation history for you.

The secret history of the St. Louis Post Office and its amazing pneumatic tube

In 1905, the St. Louis post office built a two-mile pneumatic tube system to deliver mail between the train station and the post office. It was expensive to maintain ($17,000 per year per mile of tube) and ruined a lot of mail.
It reminds me of the 1870 Beach Pneumatic Transit, which I first learned about many years ago from the book Labyrinths of Iron: A History of the World's Subways.

Here's an interesting piece of transportation history for you.

The secret history of the St. Louis Post Office and its amazing pneumatic tube

In 1905, the St. Louis post office built a two-mile pneumatic tube system to deliver mail between the train station and the post office. It was expensive to maintain ($17,000 per year per mile of tube) and ruined a lot of mail.
It reminds me of the 1870 Beach Pneumatic Transit, which I first learned about many years ago from the book Labyrinths of Iron: A History of the World's Subways.
Interesting Charlie, thanks for Posting! I miss the Mail Trains from the Old Days! :(

Very cool. The thing that sounds funny to me is that it could only hold 5 pounds of letter mail each 15 seconds and that was considered light loads! They often needed trucks for even more! Times sure have changed!

Back