Spring Break 2008

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Just throwing out an idea here, but I was just checking the Amtrak website and we are taking a trip in March from LNK to CHI on the CZ from LNK its about 11 hours. But by taking the SWC out of KC (which is a 3 hour drive I have made numerous times due to my season tickets I have to the NFL Chiefs ) I was thinking, find a ride to KCY, take the SWC at 7:45am to CUS. Then take the CZ to LNK on the way home and have our car parked at the LNK station. That would give us another train to ride and a different experience. Why is the SWC quicker when its about the same distance? Would this be smart or stupid? There would be 3 of us travelling. Thanks!

Al

Just throwing out an idea here, but I was just checking the Amtrak website and we are taking a trip in March from LNK to CHI on the CZ from LNK its about 11 hours. But by taking the SWC out of KC (which is a 3 hour drive I have made numerous times due to my season tickets I have to the NFL Chiefs ) I was thinking, find a ride to KCY, take the SWC at 7:45am to CUS. Then take the CZ to LNK on the way home and have our car parked at the LNK station. That would give us another train to ride and a different experience. Why is the SWC quicker when its about the same distance? Would this be smart or stupid? There would be 3 of us travelling. Thanks!
Al
Al,

I'm not sure why the trip is 4 hours shorter. There are fewer stops. Only two, La Plata, MO and Ft. Madison, IA between Kansas City and Galesburg that may be one reason. The SWC is a nice ride and usually on time between KC and Chicago

Lincoln to Chicago is about 120 miles more than Kansas City to Chicago (555 vs. 437 miles), so that accounts for about 2-1/2 hours of the difference. The rest is the extended stop and generally slow running in the Omaha area, the three extra station stops each probably adding 5 to 10 minutes, the slower route of the old CB&Q as compared to the AT&SF, and about 30 minutes more padding added to the Zephyr's Chicago arrival compared to the padding add to the Chief.

Nope, that would be on March 23rd. I checked Greyhound for the heck of it and it was like $180 for 3 of us. The rental car companies tend to be a pain on taking a car and not returning it to the original place of pickup. I may just keep it simple and leave on the CZ, allthough the SWC seems to be like a fun trip.

Al

Nope, that would be on March 23rd. I checked Greyhound for the heck of it and it was like $180 for 3 of us. The rental car companies tend to be a pain on taking a car and not returning it to the original place of pickup. I may just keep it simple and leave on the CZ, allthough the SWC seems to be like a fun trip.
Al
Dollar or Budget (or is it Thrifty?) tend to be a bit less severe in "drop" charges for rentals - you might check them. I would tend to favor trying to get a little different scenery in on your trip as long as its within reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back