Spotted: Bio-Diesel P32 #500

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AAARGH!

Conductor
While I was waiting for the detachment of the 2 Texas Eagle through cars from the Sunset Limited, they detached the two P42's and inserted a P32 (#500) that was marked as a "Heartland Flyer test engine". It was being sponsored by the Oklamhoma DOT and the FRA.

One of the three engines (one of the 2 P42s or the P32 Bio Diesel) had problems in the station, so there was a one-hour delay before the SSL left for New Orleans. I'm guessing the P32 was having the issues.

This was on Thursday evening 5/20/2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'd assume it's the P32--that locomotive is supposed to stay captive on the Flyer for a year because of the moo cow diesel.

Nearest large scale maintenance base maybe? Or differently trained crew? I'm thinking it's just being moved for whatever reason.

Nearest large scale maintenance base maybe? Or differently trained crew? I'm thinking it's just being moved for whatever reason.
It was not dead, not that you inferred that. It was definetly on and spitting LOUDLY every 30 seconds or so.

That explains why we had P42s on both ends of the Heartland Flyer when I rode yesterday (25 May). One of the Conductors said the 32 was off for maintenance, and I had just assumed it was gone for part of its required inspection.

Well, it would appear that #500 is back in Fort Worth for the Heartland Flyer--someone posted a video of 21 heading south out of Chicago about a week ago with #500 as the second locomotive. Must have caught the CONO to Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back