Specials?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hippyman

Service Attendant
I just got an email about Amtraks winter getaway special, and got on to read about it. This got me to wondering, since the deal is only good for coach, could I upgrade to a sleeper once onboard?

I haven't read it yet. However, I suspect that you can not book a sleeper before departure using that fare. But you may be able to do an onboard upgrade - IF there are any rooms available and IF the Conductor wants to do the extra paperwork necessary!

Dave...somewhere in the cob webs I seem to remember the "Weekly Specials" were not good for upgrading before or after boarding. Anybody know for sure ?

Weekly specials could not be upgraded to sleeper before departure, but were always eligable for upgrading once on board. There was a brief period of time when Amtrak auctioned off tickets on EBay. Those tickets were not eligable for upgrade to a sleeper period. You couldn't even do it onboard!

It seems unclear as to whether or not the AAA 15% deal will allow an onboard upgrade. The terms state no changes to your itinerary once travel has begun. Technially, even upgrading on board could be considered changing your itinerary. My guess however is that's not what's intended here, that they are strictly referring to changing where you're going while on the trip.

They do specifically prohibit buying the sleeper before departure though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan's right again !!! I dug out one of those E-Bay tix that I didn't get to use and sure enough; coach class only!I won a $9.99 E-Bay tix from Orlando to LA; probably why Amtrak backed out of E-Bay. Might have been smarter to set a reserve price rather than starting at 0.

Alan's right again !!! I dug out one of those E-Bay tix that I didn't get to use and sure enough; coach class only!I won a $9.99 E-Bay tix from Orlando to LA; probably why Amtrak backed out of E-Bay. Might have been smarter to set a reserve price rather than starting at 0.
At that price, I'd bet the Traveler may buy a ticket !!!
biggrin.gif

At that price, I'd bet the Traveler may buy a ticket !!!
biggrin.gif
It was even sweeter when I got on in Winter Park and a good friend was the Chief. He just "happened" to find an empty bedroom. Eat your heart out Dave !!! :cool: :p :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back