Speaking the Lingo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I saw in a past thread that the train codes for the cities are pretty much the same as the airport codes. Am I correct? As far as the acronyms for the different trains, aren't most of them the initials of the trains such as:

CZ-California Zephyr

CS-Coast Starlight

EB-Empire Builder

CONO-City Of New Orleans

etc...

I still get stumped sometimes when reading. I just ask. Like-OTP- On Time Performance. :cool:

I think the OP has a good idea. Unless you are a railfan, it is hard to put together context clues to decipher the meanings of the two letter abbreviations. On a couple of forums such as cruise critic and flyer talk forums, they have a way of keeping certain threads at the top. These threads usually contain answers to many of the frequently asked questions. We could have one of those on here for abbreviations.

Amtrak Unlimited is a particularly friendly forum, and I think we should all strive to keep it that way. If a request or post is annoying to you, or you don't want to answer a repetitive question, go on to the next thread. If you can take the time to type a snappy response to a repetitive request, IMHO, the time could be better spent helping the OP out.

AlanB is a good role model for this. He does this numerous times a week if not per day, answering similar questions.

Aloha

Please lets all understand the original poster's needs as many can not follow acronyms. And also show some Aloha for those who may not agree with your opinion. Also when quoting don not isolate so few words to change the meaning of the original statement

Mahalo

Eric
There are several topics that have routinely appeared on this board. Suggesting that "we've talked about this before," is not helpful to new folks who ask "old" questions. If you can answer the OP question great. If not, try to avoid being critical of the question being asked.

You're helping the OP out by telling them its been discussed before-- the "search" function on these boards should never be underestimated.

There are several topics that have routinely appeared on this board. Suggesting that "we've talked about this before," is not helpful to new folks who ask "old" questions. If you can answer the OP question great. If not, try to avoid being critical of the question being asked.
This isn't an "old" subject by any means, we just had this pop up less than two months ago. And all members who posted in this thread (excluding guests who don't have membership join dates to the left) have been members for more than two months.

And this isn't an "old" topic in that other topics never suggested a plausible addition to the site, such as a pinned glossary or a drop down menu. This is actually somewhat relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I offended anyone with my last post, I am sorry and I apologize!
sad.gif

I am far from prejudiced - I am of Lithuanian and Polish decent, and also have a former Polish native living with me!

I'm another one who has trouble with the acronyms. Generally I just ignore them. So some train is running with a different consist now? Or its on-time record is better? Or how is parking at some station? Even if I'm going to be on those particular trains, I'm going to enjoy the trip regardless of the consist, whether or not it will be on time, and what the parking is like anywhere but where I leave my car (preferably a driveway).

I usually don't abbreviate when posting because I tend to make errors, like mixing PCC (a kind of street car that is fun to visit in different cities) and PPC (Pacific Parlor Car on the Coast Starlight).

You could always just focus on what the text says as opposed to how it looks.
True. And for the first hundred globally bolded posts that's exactly what I did. But eventually it just got old and I wondered why every single word needed to be bolded. Apparently there is no reason. Or at least no reason worthy of repeating.

What I do is go to Amtrak.com & where you put in the station Departing or Arriving, there is a option to "Find a Station". Click & go from there. Has helped me many times.( Except- where is WIP???
laugh.gif
)

Have Fun
WIP = Fraser, CO (Winter Park)

What I do is go to Amtrak.com & where you put in the station Departing or Arriving, there is a option to "Find a Station". Click & go from there. Has helped me many times.( Except- where is WIP???
laugh.gif
)

Have Fun
WIP = Fraser, CO (Winter Park)
As opposed to WPK ~ Winter Park Florida ~ which I just looked up.... -_-

Shanghai has a terrific idea. I've been a rail fan for a long time and I still get stumped with a lot of the lingo. A drop down would be a terrific help.

I don't care if it's a drip-down or if it's in bold with exclamation marks. It's a good idea.

Sometimes some of the airport codes have a little bit of history hiding in them. For example Chicago O'Hare is ORD because it was originally called Orchard Field. Orlando International is MCO, because its original name was McCoy Field.

Sometimes having the Amtrak station code for the city station being different from the airport code works out well. For example, Newark NJ, where the Amtrak station is NWK and the airport is EWR. When the Newark Airport Station was built it naturally got the code EWR. Can you imagine the headache it would have been if Newark Penn had the code EWR? BTW the ICAO code for Newark Airport is KEWR. Indeed in most cases you can get the ICAO 4 letter code for an US airport by pre-pending a K to the 3 letter IATA code for the airport.

Many Amtrak stations have their own IATA codes too, specially those that have code share service between Amtrak and an airline (typically Continental).

You're helping the OP out by telling them its been discussed before-- the "search" function on these boards should never be underestimated.

This isn't an "old" subject by any means, we just had this pop up less than two months ago. And all members who posted in this thread (excluding guests who don't have membership join dates to the left) have been members for more than two months.

And this isn't an "old" topic in that other topics never suggested a plausible addition to the site, such as a pinned glossary or a drop down menu. This is actually somewhat relevant.
ALC,

I'm in total agreement with you. Unfortunately, IMHO, the written word is often heavily weighted on perception and not intent. There are times that, in the intent of offering advice or help, statements can be perceived as condescending or critical. If I ask a question that has previously been addressed, gently direct me to the thread or take a few moments to explain the search function.

I guess what I am trying to convey is that there are threads where reply-posters would do a greater service by not saying anything rather than discourage someone from raising the questions they wish. In addition, I note on many topics where some point to a previous thread that others are more than happy to chime in with responses. Why not just let that happen?

Dave

Sometimes some of the airport codes have a little bit of history hiding in them. For example Chicago O'Hare is ORD because it was originally called Orchard Field. Orlando International is MCO, because its original name was McCoy Field.

Sometimes having the Amtrak station code for the city station being different from the airport code works out well. For example, Newark NJ, where the Amtrak station is NWK and the airport is EWR. When the Newark Airport Station was built it naturally got the code EWR. Can you imagine the headache it would have been if Newark Penn had the code EWR? BTW the ICAO code for Newark Airport is KEWR. Indeed in most cases you can get the ICAO 4 letter code for an US airport by pre-pending a K to the 3 letter IATA code for the airport.

Many Amtrak stations have their own IATA codes too, specially those that have code share service between Amtrak and an airline (typically Continental).
Also unique that no one EVER refers to LAX as Los Angeles International. It's ALWAYS "LAX" or verbalized as L-A-X.

I can't think of another airport where people ALWAYS refer to it by its code! As many friends elsewhere would say, well, what would you expect about LAX, er, Los Angeles??? :help:

Because to those who speak the jargon it's easier to type. Many of us actually speak it, for instance ALC is station code for Alliance, OH, but I know many on the forum who will actually say A-L-C in person when referencing the station.
After learning of the weather from a travelogue on here, I told my wife "Ugh, it's snowing in V-R-V. Must be freezing at your parents' house." Obviously I'm lurking here too much.

Also unique that no one EVER refers to LAX as Los Angeles International. It's ALWAYS "LAX" or verbalized as L-A-X.

I can't think of another airport where people ALWAYS refer to it by its code!
SFO, and often (but probably not always) JFK.

Because to those who speak the jargon it's easier to type. Many of us actually speak it, for instance ALC is station code for Alliance, OH, but I know many on the forum who will actually say A-L-C in person when referencing the station.
After learning of the weather from a travelogue on here, I told my wife "Ugh, it's snowing in V-R-V. Must be freezing at your parents' house." Obviously I'm lurking here too much.

I can't think of another airport where people ALWAYS refer to it by its code!
SFO, and often (but probably not always) JFK.
SFO? I don't think so. I doubt that more than 10% of passengers on any San Francisco-bound flight would know SFO. JFK might be a much closer match to LAX. And of course, LAX is usually referred to as just that, lax, and not L-A-X, by broadcasters and the like. There again, JFK would be a very close match. But I've yet to hear a Bay Area announcer say SFO. The weather people say fog has socked in San Francisco, but not Oakland, airports.

I can't think of another airport where people ALWAYS refer to it by its code! As many friends elsewhere would say, well, what would you expect about LAX, er, Los Angeles??? :help:
DFW. Don't know about the locals, but people flying through generally call it "DFW" not "Dallas-Fort Worth". As in "I had to change planes at O'Hare" or "I had to change planes at DFW"

LaGuardia factors in, the city isn't named LaGuardia after all.

CAK (also hear Cack), EWR, PDX, DFW, SAC (like 'sack') to name a few more as "ones I've heard in public"

CAK is interesting because the airport code only kinda-sorta matches the city. The airport is Akron-Canton Regional, which seems like it should be AKC, or ACN. Whenever I search for flights out of there I google "CAK departures" versus "Akron Canton Airport Departures".

I've never in my life even once heard anyone say Lax, as in laxative. Never.

From the radio or tv announcer to the guy next door, it's always three words, El Lay Ex.

Lax? What planet of people say that?

LaGuardia factors in, the city isn't named LaGuardia after all.

CAK (also hear Cack), EWR, PDX, DFW, SAC (like 'sack') to name a few more as "ones I've heard in public"

CAK is interesting because the airport code only kinda-sorta matches the city. The airport is Akron-Canton Regional, which seems like it should be AKC, or ACN. Whenever I search for flights out of there I google "CAK departures" versus "Akron Canton Airport Departures".
Except SAC isn't the airport code for Sacramento International Airport. That code is SMF.

We do however say Sac to refer to the actual city in general conversation.

EWR is so much more convenient than "Newark Liberty International Airport" :)

JFK is very often used, including in most signage in the subway system pointing to Sutphin Blvd station on J and E as the transfer point to JFK Airtrain.

Back to Amtrak, I am starting to hear a few people use NYP to refer to Penn Station, but not that much.

Aloha

Please lets all understand the original poster's needs as many can not follow acronyms. And also show some Aloha for those who may not agree with your opinion. Also when quoting don not isolate so few words to change the meaning of the original statement

Mahalo

Eric
Amen Pastor, amen. It's "new" to the person who just joined, or first posted here. If it's not new to you, then simply scroll past/down, but no need to say "that question has been asked sooooooo many times..........."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back