Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travelchick45

Train Attendant
For those of you with experience riding the SWC either 3 or 4, I understand seeing Raton pass is a highlight of the trip. I guessing the sightseer observation car will be very full during that time. How soon before the train reaches the pass should one stake out a seat in the sightseer lounge? Also are there any other must see views of the trip? We will be riding from FMD to ABQ and back.

The crowd in the lounge car may depend on how busy the train is. If you should see dozens of Boy Scouts on the train, then I would make sure I had a seat by the time the train stops in Trinidad. Raton Pass has its good points, although I don't think it is as scenic as some other routes. Note that you will see no other trains during this trip west of Trinidad except for passing Amtrak going in the other direction, as only Amtrak uses this route between Trinidad and most of the way to Albuquerque. You can probably step off the train and take note of the beautiful station building with the tower facing at an angle toward the tracks. ( I would NOT go into the station, however - the town seems to have fixed up the waiting room to better condition than what it was. ) You will then be traveling across high desert with distant mountain ranges, right out of the Old West. I have gotten to be appreciative of the beauty of New Mexico, which has a character all its own. Some of it is kind of like a third world country. I may be a little off in location, but keep an eye peeled in the vicinity of Las Vegas, NM for the big S curve and the crossing of the Pecos River. ( I wish somebody would remove those junk cars from the river on the north side. ) Heading toward Lamy, you will descend Glorieta Pass, through a narrow, twisting canyon. I like watching this stretch through the back window of the rear coach. The station in Lamy looks like something out of a movie set. It is kind of weatherbeaten on the outside, but is cozy on the inside. ( Again, do not try and go inside the station and risk getting left behind. ) The picnic area on the east side of the station grounds used to be occupied by what I believe was a Fred Harvey Hotel. Enjoy your trip. Message me if you have more questions about this route, as I live within earshot of BNSF in Flagstaff.

If the train is full of Boy Scouts going to Philmont which I understand is common during the summer I may lose my 16 year old son in the mob. He is a Boy Scout that just got his Eagle and would love to go there. This however is a family vacation and he stays with us. . It's nice to know though he may find some Scouts to talk to on the train.

This is the best route for where we are going this time though if we enjoy it there has been talk of going all the way out to the coast sometime and maybe we will try the California Zephyr for that.

If you have Boy Scouts on the train, hopefully you will have Conductors who will keep them in line. When I boarded a few years ago in Kansas City, the new Conductor rounded up all the ones hanging out in the Lounge and laid down the law-no sitting on tables, no leaving trash, no loud talking, watch your language and other things I would think Boy Scouts do not need to be told. From there the run to Raton was pleasant.

In general Boy Scouts are good kids, but they are teenagers and sometimes have to be reminded about things. My Boy Scout is not going to Philmont at least not this summer, but if there are other Scouts on the train he will for sure be striking up a conversation. He claims he's going to go sleep in coach even though we bought roomettes, just to get away from his little sister and I'm sure most of the scout troops traveling are probably going coach to save money.

FresnicPic, those are great pics thanks for sharing!

Having two of mine go through the BSA program and earning Eagle, yes, they still need to be reminded once in a while. Hopefully the group leaders will do the reminding, not the conductor or anyone else.

Both of mine, on separate occasions, made the trip on the SWC from LA to Raton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back