Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slither

Train Attendant
Planning a September trip on the Southwest Chief. Going end to end from Chicago to L. A. or L.A. to Chicago. Haven't been on that route since 1996 and was wondering if east bound or west bound is more preferable. Considering daylight hours and area of the country you would be in. Thanks for your input.

I took the SWC in December to Riverside [arr. 7a.m.!!] from KCY. The scenery was awesome once the sun came up in Colorado, then across NM. Must admit that after awhile, I got tired of seeing the same scrub landscape...but it was certainly *different* than what I am accustomed to here in the midwest. Still good and interesting. Saw a few pack of coyotes running just off the tracks. Went through the Raton Tunnel during the day, and most of the nice scenery was visible. In Sept. you'll be seeing even MORE than I did. On the way back, the sun didn't rise until Arizona, and even then...I missed Flagstaff totally, but again - the Raton pass and Glorieta pass are daytime events. You'll have a great time. Have fun!

If you are running late eastbound the Raton Pass scenery might be in darkness, so I would give a slight edge to the westbound. I am here in Flagstaff. Unless the operation is really late, both trains pass through Flagstaff and Williams in the dark.

There is nothing like waking up just as the sun is rising over the Mojave Desert and seeing all the morning colors. At first you may think you are not moving but a peek at a GPS will show you cutting along at 80-90 MPH; that section of the Transcon is glass smooth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back