Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65Imperial

Train Attendant
Hi All, Everyone has a list of things they want to do. Taking the train to California was on the top of that list. Well this year I finally decided to take the plunge. I am getting on in Kansas City after picking up my cousin who lives there. We booked a roomette and I am wondering how roomy are they?? I down-loaded a menu from some website. What do they serve on the train. I'm not sure if the menu was correct. Any tips or info will be great. This has been a great web site for me. Thanks, david

Hey!

Welcome to the Forum!

The southwest chief is a very awesome train!

THe roomettes are about as big as a tall, coat closet, but as long as you and your cousin arent giants you shouldn't be too uncomfortable. The chairs facing each other come together to form a small bed on the bottom and a berth drops down from the ceiling. The smaller more flexible person should take th upper bunk. Just be prepared that the room is not a large suite with a fireplace and a jacuzzi.

Its very reasonable, but if you find yourself too uncomfortable, you might be able to upgrade to a bedroom.

THe meals are exceptionally good in all amtrak diners. They usually serve a beef dish, a pork dish, a chicken dish, a seafood dish, or a vegetarian dish. Always tip the service attendant, even though your meal is included with your fare.

Enjoy your trip!

Jon Parker

On the Amtrak Website, there is a link for "traveling with Amtrak". Under sleeping accomodations, there is a virtual tour of a roomette. That will give you a fish eye view. I have ridden in them with kids and they are great.

Back