Southwest Chief Shines- Excellent- Again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NETrainfan

Lead Service Attendant
My sister and I just returned from a 6,805 rail round trip to California on Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited, Southwest Chief, Cardinal, and Northeast Regional.

We went from Boston to Chicago and then to Riverside, California on our trip west.

We went from LA to Chicago to DC and then to Boston on the return trip.

I will be doing a complete travel report in the travel section. This was my 7th cross-country trip on Amtrak-and the best yet! All trains were on time, except for the Cardinal-amazing to us.

The Southwest Chief to Riverside, CA and then back to Chicago was excellent- yet again. These trains were well maintained and well run except for a few minor glitches.

We were impressed with the organization and announcements and emphasis on safety. Vincent, our sleeping car attendant (both ways) was the best ever. He was truly exceptional

in our opinion. The food was very good and all service above the call of duty.

Just have to say that we were impressed with Amtrak staff all across this beautiful and interesting country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to hear this! In the past 2 months I've traveled on the zephyr 3 times, the crescent twice, the capitol, the city of NOL, the cardinal, and the Illinois zephyr twice. Only late trains were the city and the cardinal, and I also had great service, friendly staff, and overall wonderful experiences. I have traveled Amtrak all my life and have never seen this level of consistency in both service and on time performance. I'm glad to hear that your travels are the same.

The SWC is good, except for the cheesy plastic dinnerware. The food is cold before you're halfway done with the meal.

Hi phk- We didn't have that problem with the food temperature. Sorry you did.

I was on the SWC last weekend of October from FUL to ABQ & back, & it had been my 1st train ride since 1988. I took the Pacific Surfliner down to Oceanside and back, so this was, actually, my first LD train ride.

Did lots of research, came prepared, got lower seats on 4 and 3, really glad I did. Very quiet.

I LOVED it.

I wanted to be able to say on Facebook that I went to the Dining Car and had breakfast at dawn on the Southwest Chief. Sounds pretty envy-making, huh?! & the breakfast warn't half bad, either...the continental b'fast of oatmeal, milk, coffee, juice, yogurt, fruit and a biscuit was really great, & I was offered more milk and juice and OF COURSE, coffee. You can't beat having a meal and looking at the scenery whizzing by, especially in New Mexico. The LSA on this trip, I think his name was Sam, was a RIOT. Awesome staff people on this train.

Another person that was pretty doggone cool was Amanda, the Ass't Conductor. I think she must've gotten on at Kingman when they changed crews. I never even SAW the regular conductor EITHER time, but this young lady bee-bopped around, checked on things, checked on people; she even came down to the Lower Coach seating to check on us! Me, I didn't know any better and after this trip east, kind of expected it, but after talking to people, I found out that this was out of the ordinary. I heard of other AC's doing this thru the grapevine, but she actually put her customer service money where her mouth was. Outstanding. Very nice young lady.

I still don't know who the doggone conducters were. Would've been nice to have been introduced, even an on-board announcement, introducing themselves. (Yeah, I found out they were both 'hims').

The trip back #3 SWC was even better, since I knew the ropes now. Learned how to sleep moderately comfortably across two seats, learned how to take pics when there's a full moon at night, learned how to stay AWAY from the upper coach until AFTER Flagstaff when all the kids that had got on before and in ABQ, ended up getting off!

The SWC was clean, staff was really friendly, the announcements on #4 EB from Mike the Cafe attendant were hilarious!

Here's a THING, though...if you go lower coach on #4 EB, be prepared for the lights to go out around 8 PM.

Here's ANOTHER thing... for those in the lower seating area, the TAC will go get you food if you request it. (and you of course have to pay for it!) There are menus in the lower coach seating areas, and he's more than happy to do it. Our guy was TAC Anderson (couldn't pronounce his first name, but a peach of a guy). He even went and got some food for one of the passengers in lower even before the dining car food was ready to serve much less the dining car was open, and he got the passenger guy what he could.

ONE MORE THING-if you travel lower, don't expect to find any 'dateable' persons seated there. Unless you make your permanent address in an assisted living facility.

But still...it was QUIET.

Am going back this Thursday Turkey Day 11-22-12 on the SWC #4 @ 18:50 hours from FUL to ABQ to see preggy daughter Jackie (hence my name, "Jackie's Mom"!) and will be coming back Monday on the #3 leaving ABQ 11-26-12 at 16:45 hours, getting in to FUL at 6:30 on Tuesday the 27th, JUST in time to go to work!!

I can hardly WAIT to take the train again!!!

I take the Southwest Chief from Chicago to California from time to time and I think it's a great train too. IMHO Vincent has to be one of the best car attendants working for Amtrak. You don't need to ask him for anything because he takes care of things before you'd even think to make a request. I've never rung the buzzer to call him and I take all my meals in my room. He materializes out of nowhere. Amazing. I don't have complaints about other attendants since I've always been lucky but he is extraordinary. The only problem for me on the SWC is trying to sleep through Kansas since the track has been getting so rough.

Hi- I think I am addicted to the Southwest Chief as I said in my review in the Travel Review section.

Good to read about the lower seating experience.

Good to read more applauds for Vincent.

We are thinking of returning to Santa Fe on the SWC. Hope the re-route doesn't happen soon-like the Raton Pass.

Anyone know an update on the possible re-route of the SWC?

I be working swc tonight !!! hope you have a good trip coming back

Since you are an LSA on this Route wonder if you can tell us why Amtrak Posts a full Menu and then has an Express menu for Dinner out of LAX? Is it Mica or did some Desk Jockey in 60 Mass dream up this scheme? It's not the best idea ever for LD Routes, sort of like the CCC idea IMO! :help:

Another fan of the SWC here. I take the #3 from my home station Lamy to Fullerton, jump off and catch the next southbound Pacific Surfliner to Oceanside. My daughter only has to drive 6 miles to pick me up, if I flew it would be a minimum one-hour drive to an airport for her. On the return I take the Surfliner into Union Station and enjoy walking around studying the beautiful architecture, then the #4 back to Lamy.

Airport security makes me very upset every time I fly, the train is relaxing and a haven from airline/airport insanity.

We haven't traveled Amtrak as much as many have on these forums, but we've done the Cardinal (1X), Empire Builder (2X), California Zephyr (1X) and the SWC (1X). Our favorite, far and away, is the SWC -- for scenery, crew, everything. We're taking the Texas Eagle this coming spring, but look forward to the SWC again. We always go sleeper (bedroom)...

Loooooove the SWC. We had Anna Maria as our SCA on the way to ABQ Sunday and Monday, and Yolanda was our server in the dining car. Everyone was great, and we really enjoyed the trip. I'm going to write a full report as soon as we get back to Chicago.

I was on the SWC recently and had a pleasurable trip. Paul was the SCA in car 0331. He is an introverted type of person but very service oriented. Hope he will be on our return trip. The Dining Car staff was the best in recent memory. The LSA was Pauline and assisted by a bubbly Frances and a pleasant 37 year veteran Tom. Meal reservations were taken for lunch (a welcome surprise) and as usual for dinner.

I was sick as a dog coming back on the SWC from LA to Chicago last year and Vincent took care of me like a nurse. It's rare that one sees a service person of any kind like this fellow.

Isaac Heath (TALL guy) is another stellar SCA.

Glad you had such a wonderful experience, NETrainfan. I've been blessed - no bad experiences in my many Amtrak ventures!

We had Julio as our SCA on the return trip. He was amazing! I can't remember our dining car servers' names, unfortunately, but they were all very good.

@jim.. I am was working as extra waiter this trip ( that pass) and to my knowledge it has something to do dinner out of LAX being so short and rush .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back