Southwest Chief Re-Route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my research, and you're talking nonsense. Nonsense deliberately spread by Gov. Martinez, most likely. Martinez killed the completely-settled, signatures-in-ink-on-paper deal.

NM bill died, not that it matters because it wasn't going to fund anything anyway. NM government has made it very clear they won't spend a penny on the existing route.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall reading when a Martinez ally, a county tax-assessor collector,

testified that if the State of New Mexico bought the rail line, then

his county would not be able to collect any taxes the property.

Sort of hoping the re-route thru Amarillo will allow BNSF to tear up

the rails and completely abandon the Raton route, and of course,

pay no taxes itself. When the narrow strip reverts to neighboring

owners, let's see how much taxes that assessor can collect on land

most suitable for growing tumbleweeds. Is it wrong that I'm smiling?

New York tried that for a decade and thus delayed the double tracking of the Albany - Schenectady section. No one collected any extra taxes until finally NY State recanted. The only sufferers were rail passengers for this idiocy.

New York tried that for a decade and thus delayed the double tracking of the Albany - Schenectady section. No one collected any extra taxes until finally NY State recanted. The only sufferers were rail passengers for this idiocy.
I don't follow. You're comparing the un-bought Raton route with a stretch where New York State owned tracks Albany-Schenectady? I thought Amtrak has owned that segment post-Conrail? So what was NY State doing? Who paid taxes on it then, or now? Anyway, the tracks were never abandoned and the trains still run there.

The New Mexico idiocy I described was the tax-assessor's phony-baloney claim that if the State bought the tracks the county would lose out, because he couldn't collect taxes. Whereas if the railroad simply abandoned the route and no trains would run at all, he could do what about it, tax-wise or otherwise? Meanwhile the rail passengers would suffer for his idiocy.

And it is all phony- baloney for those who refuse to investigate. It was a real estate transaction that fell thru because the seller would not allow onsite inspection. The Dept. of Transportation requested Gov. not complete the transaction.

And it is all phony- baloney for those who refuse to investigate. It was a real estate transaction that fell thru because the seller would not allow onsite inspection. The Dept. of Transportation requested Gov. not complete the transaction.
Any Dept. of Transportation will "request" whatever the Gov. tells it to.

During her campaign Martinez had already indicated she opposed the plan.

So no surprise that people needing to keep their jobs told her what

she wanted to hear

That's the way the world works.

I don't follow. You're comparing the un-bought Raton route with a stretch where New York State owned tracks Albany-Schenectady? I thought Amtrak has owned that segment post-Conrail? So what was NY State doing? Who paid taxes on it then, or now? Anyway, the tracks were never abandoned and the trains still run there.
You don't follow mainly because your perception of facts about the Empire Corridor ownership are entirely wrong. North of Poughkeepsie it was and is still owned by CSX. What has changed last years is that NY State has leased it for a limited number of years with the right to dispatch and maintain, and CSX still retains full trackage rights.
New York State has never owned that piece of track and still does not. Naturally CSX (and before that Conrail) was paying taxes, and if it had allowed the addition of a track its taxes would have gone up and so it disallowed such, until NY State changed its tax laws, much to the chagrin of the local communities, which were milking CSX and hoping to milk them some more.

You don't follow mainly because your perception of facts about the Empire Corridor ownership are entirely wrong. North of Poughkeepsie it was and is still owned by CSX. What has changed last years is that NY State has leased it for a limited number of years with the right to dispatch and maintain, and CSX still retains full trackage rights.
New York State has never owned that piece of track and still does not. Naturally CSX (and before that Conrail) was paying taxes, and if it had allowed the addition of a track its taxes would have gone up and so it disallowed such, until NY State changed its tax laws, much to the chagrin of the local communities, which were milking CSX and hoping to milk them some more.
I was never talking about north of Poughkeepsie. So it's unkind

of you to say that MY facts are "entirely wrong". Because I was

quoting you: "New York … thus delayed the double tracking of

the Albany-Schenectady section." (Emphasis added.) Which

segment I still say is Amtrak-owned now.

(I don't know if Amtrak pays taxes on this 17-mile stretch or on

Penn Station or on the Northeast Corridor R_O_W or not. Is it

a tax-exempt federal agency or a tax-liable corporation for

local property tax purposes?

Anyway, you still seem to have missed my point, which you

would probably agree with if you understood it.

BNSF currently pays taxes on the Raton route. The half-witted

tax assessor said that selling it to the state would mean his county

would lose tax payments. Yeah, true.

But if BNSF abandons the route, as seems to be the threat,

the tax assessor won't collect much of anything from BNSF.

So it seems the tax man in N.M hoped to continue milking BNSF,

not realizing that the both alternatives, state purchase or route

abandonment, would mean no milk at all. (His position only made

some sense if he thought BSNF was lying about wanting to get

rid of the route.)

If the tax man's little squirt of pee contributed to the potential

abandonment instead of the state purchase alternative, he did

passengers no favor. Making him very much like your local

tax assessors in upstate NY.

I'm wildly confused at the point you're trying to make. Jishnu was talking about CSX owned track. The fact that down the line somewhere is some Amtrak owned track doesn't seem to be relevant.

Maybe spend less time arguing about how right you are and more time trying to make your point clearly and you'll have better success.

I do not see how anyone could say that BNSF was screwing New Mexico at the price they were willing to sell the Raton line. The amount was probably less than the net scrap value of the material in the track.

Nobody is saying BNSF was trying to "screw " New Mexico. Haven't you bought or sold real estate. There is a period of time between purchase agreement and closing for the buyer to inspect and do testing of the property in question. To prohibit that inspection and test opportunity is one way to kill the transaction by the seller. In New Mexico real estate law, if a transaction is not closed the buyer may ask for their earnest Money back. So that allows the question," what does BNSF want with the Raton Sub"?

I'm wildly confused at the point you're trying to make. Jishnu was talking about CSX owned track. The fact that down the line somewhere is some Amtrak owned track doesn't seem to be relevant.

Maybe spend less time arguing about how right you are and more time trying to make your point clearly and you'll have better success.
You are confused indeed. See his Comment #503. It's about "Albany-Schenectady". That is Amtrak-owned, not CSX.

I never mentioned CSX tracks when I was trying to sort out his point.

Then he jumped to talking about above Poughkeepsie, not Amtrak-owned. Sorry that he seems to have confused you, and I guess himself, with that switcheroo.

I was never talking about north of Poughkeepsie. So it's unkindof you to say that MY facts are "entirely wrong". Because I was

quoting you: "New York … thus delayed the double tracking of

the Albany-Schenectady section." (Emphasis added.) Which

segment I still say is Amtrak-owned now.
You can say it all you want, but that is not going to make it true. you can have an opinion but you cannot just make up facts.
As it turns out Albany to Schenectady is indeed north of Poughkeepsie and is in the section Poughkeepsie - Hoffmans (for reference as you read the references below). Hoffmans is the point west of Schenectady where the line from Albany joins the CSX main from Selkirk (Suggest open up a map and locate those locations on it to get your bearings straight). So yes, indeed you were entirely wrong. ;)

Go and look at the list of properties owned by Amtrak listed by Amtrak on their web page .

Amtrak has never owned much of anything except the Rensselaer shops and perhaps some station trackage in the Albany area though it has had various agreements in place with CSX to maintain and dispatch the trackage associated with the station and the Boston connection from ALB to the connection with CSX. Amtrak has had various agreements giving Amtrak responsibility for maintenance and dispatching of the Albany - Schenectady section. But the property was and still is owned by CSX, and CSX and before that Conrail, PC and NYC have been responsible for paying taxes on it, whether you like it or not. Trust me I have been involved in pushing for the changes that are about to be put in place with the second main construction there for the last 15 years with the ESPA folks. It was initially thwarted for many years due to this tax issue.

Incidentally on the same Amtrak page they say:

In December 2012, Amtrak and CSX Transportation reached an agreement for Amtrak to operate and maintain approximately 94 miles of the Empire Corridor in New York between Poughkeepsie, New York, and Hoffmans (near Schenectady).
This includes the section Albany - Schenectady that you erroneously claim is owned by Amtrak. This is the lease agreement that I mentioned in the earlier post, which set you off on a long incoherent rant.

This Amtrak Press Release spells it all out quite clearly including projects that were facilitated by this lease agreement:

Also refer to the Wikipedia article on the Empire Corridor and the Amtrak article on Wikipedia for reference, though I did not want to quote those since parts of them are probably edited by me. Not cool to quote yourself to prove a point :)

So the bottom line is that the Raton situation is actually very similar to what we had at the Poughkeepsie - Hoffmans section of the Empire Corridor before the lease came into effect, as I was saying before. New York State handled it well and professionally. New Mexico State apparently does not care enough to handle it in a way that would result in what we want, and perhaps are inclined to scapegoat Amtrak and BNSF in a battle of rumors and innuendos as it appears.

You are confused indeed. See his Comment #503. It's about "Albany-Schenectady". That is Amtrak-owned, not CSX.
I never mentioned CSX tracks when I was trying to sort out his point.

Then he jumped to talking about above Poughkeepsie, not Amtrak-owned. Sorry that he seems to have confused you, and I guess himself, with that switcheroo.
You really need to learn a little bit more about the geography and the relevant facts before trying to sort out anything, and trying to act oh so unconfused ;) :help: :hi:

There is no Amtrak owned track where it is being claimed there is. That is where the error in claimed facts lies. The property is still CSX owned.

Nobody is saying BNSF was trying to "screw " New Mexico. Haven't you bought or sold real estate. There is a period of time between purchase agreement and closing for the buyer to inspect and do testing of the property in question. To prohibit that inspection and test opportunity is one way to kill the transaction by the seller. In New Mexico real estate law, if a transaction is not closed the buyer may ask for their earnest Money back. So that allows the question," what does BNSF want with the Raton Sub"?
You don't really understand what happened. The state, after having backed out of the agreement, was NOT going to get their earnest money back. Eventually Martinez had to cut a deal where the state gave BNSF a bunch of tax breaks in exchange for getting the money back.

The sale had standard and well-understood terms for selling a railroad line, as far as I can tell, and everything else is just FUD spread by Martinez's office. There is no evidence that BNSF behaved in any unusual manner apart from leaked slanders. The first two transactions (Belen-Albuquerque and Albuquerque-Lamy) had the same terms and sailed through.

The purchase price for Lamy-Trinidad ($5 million!) is probably less than the value of the land; you could probably get that much just by selling an easement for a fiber-optic corridor.

...as for sale vs. lease, NY effectively controls Schenectady-Poughkeepsie. It looks, from what's been released, like it's a "lease similar to sale". For comparison purposes, consider that Metro-North does not own the fee simple estate in the Harlem Line, Hudson Line, or Grand Central Station; they are all leases. Leases for extremely large numbers of years which are not revocable. Leases which would be considered sales under the rule against perpetuities (which seems to be no longer in force in NY). Such leases are merely a funny way of creating what are economically bonds or installment payments; they don't have the landlord-eviction rights present in typical leases.

Yeah. The lease is irrevocable, but is limited to AFAIR 45 years (which IMHO is kinda short) or something like that, after which the property reverts back to full control of CSX. I don't know what clauses are there to cover residuals.Of course much else can happen between now and then to change that too.

After all, 45 years ago was 1969. Among other things, most states still had malapportioned legislatures at that time. "One person one vote" wasn't established in the US until 1962, and wasn't really implemented fully until after the 1970 census. In railroading, the Rail Passenger Service Act didn't arrive until 1970... Penn Central hadn't even declared bankruptcy yet in 1969.

I don't know what things will be like in 45 years. I think it's pretty much assured that CSX will not get the line back. CSX is likely to not even exist. Its successor (if any) probably won't get the line back either; when the leases on the Metro-North lines were set to expire recently, American Premier Underwriters didn't get the Metro-North lines back, the lease was instead quietly extended for a bit short of a thousand years.

It's a nuance, but the the lease from CSX is with Amtrak, not New York State. The lease duration is 25 years with an option for an additional 23 years.

Amtrak Release 12/4/12

I guess there's probably another agreement somewhere where NYS pays Amtrak the amounts due to CSX on the lease.

I guess there's probably another agreement somewhere where NYS pays Amtrak the amounts due to CSX on the lease.
The only monetary arrangement I am aware of is that CXS pays Amtrak $1.5 million annually for trackage rights, plus a per car fee. CSX may have found that unloading the maintenance responsibility for a lightly used line was all they needed from Amtrak.

I wonder if CSX gets some relief from paying taxes on the property too. Haven't looked at the whole thing carefully enough to know.

Yeah, now that you mention it, it is indeed a total of 48 with the extension. that is where I vaguely remembered the 45 or so from.

It is possible that the lease amount is grossed into the computation of New York State's total contribution for the Empire Corridor, i.e. the lease cost is counted together with the Section 209 fees. This is just a speculation with no real information supporting it this way or that though.

This thread is for Southwest Chief---Take your other railroads elsewhere.

The only monetary arrangement I am aware of is that CXS pays Amtrak $1.5 million annually for trackage rights, plus a per car fee. CSX may have found that unloading the maintenance responsibility for a lightly used line was all they needed from Amtrak.
Maybe the lease is for a nominal amount of money (dollar a year?). If it isn't for *any* compensation, then legally it's not a lease, it's a gift, which has certain obvious consequences (i.e. Amtrak would own the line now!)

This thread is for Southwest Chief---Take your other railroads elsewhere.
Ah! A guest wannabe moderator is amongst us! :p
Maybe the lease is for a nominal amount of money (dollar a year?). If it isn't for *any* compensation, then legally it's not a lease, it's a gift, which has certain obvious consequences (i.e. Amtrak would own the line now!)
From what I have been told, the lease is for more than a nominal amount, but does not involve some enormous amounts either. I was told that it is more than reasonable.
And then tongue in the cheek it was commented "We wish we could get the rest of the corridor to Buffalo under similar terms". But at least for now that is not to be.

Well (ha!) remember the terms for the New Mexico purchase.

Belen to Bernalillo: $50 million

Bernalillo to Lamy: $20 million

Lamy to Trinidad: $5 million

(also, the maintenance yard for RailRunner: $1 million just for the land).

Notice that the prices are pretty nearly in the opposite order to the mileage on the segments. The segments with more freight traffic cost more.

Frankly, I'd bet the line to Buffalo is available for lease on similar *terms* to the line from Schenectady to Poughkeepsie... but for a tremendous amount more *money*. I don't think the state is willing to come up with the money... yet. Maybe eventually...

Anyway, back to Albuquerque, when checking the numbers at this article:

http://www.wheelsmuseum.org/120605.html

I just discovered that the state of NM incidentally got a number of branch lines, and "one of those spurs runs toward the Albuquerque International Sunport". This says to me that, most likely, the "Abajo wye" is now property of the state of NM, since that's where the branch heading towards the Sunport branches off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back